Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Ignition Problems, can doesnt start/has problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problems, can doesnt start/has problems starting

Hey everyone, up til now, I thought my idle problem was due to a vaccuum leak since i installed my direct port nitrous. I sprayed carb cleaner on the 4 nozzles and the rpms didnt go up. So maybe not a vaccuum leak.

So I went to office depot to buy my school stuff (car drops below 700 but didnt stall, close a few times). However, when I when to get back into my car to go home, it wouldnt start at all. I had battery power, I could hear the walbro pump prime, but when I started it, all I heard was the pump priming. I didnt hear the starter or anything with the ignition. After like 10 minutes, it maraciously started but it kept dying. I had to drive home and kept giving it gas so it wouldnt stall. I have the digital 6+, msd SS coil and wires.

Where do I start to check the ignition problem? This is the second time it has died and not started. I dont think it is the starter, but I could be wrong. Could it just be the cap and rotor? Maybe the coil? How do I test it?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Problems, can doesnt start/has problems starting (dvp95)

no one?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the prob I had when my coil died...so maybe your coil is not wired correctly?

It wouldn't be the starter, cause it dies while the car is on. Is your battery light on? Maybe your alt is dead and not charging the bat therefore keeping it from starting...doesn't sound like this but never know. You said the only noise you heard was the pump priming, was the starter spinning? Cause even if it was an ign problem, the starter would still try to spin the flywheel if the battery is charged.

I would check all your wiring if it started having this prob right after you put that stuff on.
Josh
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Problems, can doesnt start/has problems starting (skrewdlude)

I installed the digital 6+, ss coil and wires a year ago. Didnt start this problem until recently. My battery light is not on, and when I tried to start the car when it died, i didnt hear anything but the fuel pump. Didnt hear any cranking, nothing. All of a sudden it wanted to start. How can I test to see if the coil is bad?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just opened up my distributor cap and this is what I saw. Could this comtribute to the bad idle, and possibly my weak VTEC?

Alright, I dont remember how to post pictures.