Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Idling problem after camshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling problem after camshaft install

I have a 92 lude that has a swapped H22 in it. I installed aftermarket cams when I did the timing belt right before I put the motor in. Been driving it on a regular basis for about 800 miles without any problems. Last weekend I removed all my cruise control items from the vehicle and now the car won't idle correctly after hitting the gas pedal anytime after it reaches operating temperature. It acts like the IACV, or TPS is having problems but I have no check engine lights, I tested them and I have the correct resistance from the 2 sensors but the idling issue remains. Has anyone heard of having this problem after installing aftermarket camshafts or removing cruise control hardware? Any ideas/ or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Idling problem after camshaft install

Sounds like the problem really started after the removal of the "E Z ride" components. I removed mine as well and had a vaccum leak from one of the lines to the Intake Manifold. I would start with checking the vaccum lines and making sure everything is connected and/or capped off.

EZ Fixes.

Next you may want to try opening up the IACV valve. The brass plate on top can be removed. I had to dremel cut a cross pattern in the screws holding mine in because they were to tight and the metal was stripping. After you remove the plate you will see a white plastic diaphram that moves up and down slightly. Try spinning "righty tighty" until it it will not spin anymore. Mine was loose causing idle issues. (surging RPMs at idle)

Another EZ fix may be adjusting the idle control screw on the Throttle body. Just play around with that and see if it works.

hard fixes.

New cams sometimes requires a engine to be retuned. $$$ Or depending on the type of cams you could wear out valvetrain componets: rocker arms could be wearing improperly and the valves may not open/close properly.

Did the installer do a valve adjustment after the cam was installed?

There are a lot of components that could be involved here. Try the EZ fixes first and do some research on valvetrain maintenance. Good luck and let us know.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idling problem after camshaft install

Thanks for the info. I will try the EZ fixes first then proceed to adjusting my valves. I didn't do that after the cams were installed.