Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How to know if 2001 Prelude has keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to know if 2001 Prelude has keyless entry

2001 Prelude bought last year came with ONE key, so I'm ordering a second via Amazon. But it occurred to me that this car may have keyless entry. It seems from searching around the Interwebs that some Preludes had a Honda designed dealer-installed keyless entry. I tried searching the forum here but didn't find a matching post that answers this question:

Not having a fob, is there a way to know if the car has keyless entry installed by the dealer? If so, I think I can get something like this or this and have it programmed at the local dealer. But I don't want to buy one for nothing.... Tips?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to know if 2001 Prelude has keyless entry

If this is a US Spec car, yes it has keyless from the factory.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reviving my own post...

Purchased this for our '01 Prelude that didn't have the remote when we bought it. We assumed it was lost. Everything we found confirmed A269ZUA101 to be the right remote and said all 5th gen Preludes had factory power locks. We followed these instructions to program: 2001 Honda Prelude but we cannot get it to work.

The light on the remote comes on when the button is pressed. The power locks work when the door button is used. When the key is turned to ON the green *Immobilizer System Indicator* light comes on. We've tried every way we can think of, but the car never responds to the remote. I believe this car was stolen once during its life. Is there a way to determine whether the original immobilizer system and/or keyless entry has been disabled somehow by a PO or someone?

For the immobilizer system, this is what is in the manual:

**Immobilizer System Indicator**

This indicator comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch ON (II). It will then go off if you have inserted a properly-coded ignition key. If it is not a properly coded key, the indicator will blink and the engine will not start (see page 71). This indicator also blinks several times when you turn the ignition switch from ON (II) to ACCESSORY (I) or LOCK (0).
Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 AM
Trial User

Hey guys. i have the same trouble. Got a 98 lude with factory keyless entrt unit. I bought used 2 key fob remote, and still cant make it work with my car.can somebody help me out with it? i have read a bunch of manuals but nothing helped me out((
Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys have the Red Key for your 5th gens?
Might have to drop the money and have the dealer reset the system to learn the new fobs.