Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Honda Prelude 1992 Si 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Prelude 1992 Si 2.3

I'm a late bloomer in all of this so I got this Prelude 1992 Si 2.3, Got it all Running good ect will post some pictures after work, my main thing was to ask for advice without doing a Engine Swap but want to get the most power out of it without Turbo or Surpercharger for now and need some experts direction on what will be the best approach, by most of what I can get meaning more power and torque , high-speeds without problems climbing up hills or just normal driving pretty sure the 2.3 is the H23 I am not certain but havnt checked the block either yet,
Old 06-03-2021, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Honda Prelude 1992 Si 2.3

if you want powerful car you should buy one
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-03-2021, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TimiK
if you want powerful car you should buy one
Exactly the things thinnt need to hear, I am building my son a really nice car for grad, and any car can be powerful please only comment with serious answers please there's enough threads out there to go be a smart *** about, thanks
Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The point you get Prelude powerful (which means turbo build) you have spend so much money that you would have a way BETTER car with that money. Makes no sense.

Only comment when you know this fact.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 806 Likes on 746 Posts

Very few manufacturers created upgraded performance parts for the USDM H23A1 non-VTEC DOHC engine. Intake, header and exhaust are difficult to find but do exist. After that... things are going to get scarce. Sleeveing the block would be required to be able to use aftermarket pistons... and these would have to be custom made. I am unaware of anyone who created a connecting rod for the H23... Crower offered one YEARS ago, but it may be discontinued. Cams would have to be made custom... and I would try Web Cams for that service.

As TimiK stated, building this engine will be REALLY expensive... and if that is your intention simply to be unique or different... then by all means, do so. If your idea is to get more bang for your buck... this engine platform is not a good choice.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Very few manufacturers created upgraded performance parts for the USDM H23A1 non-VTEC DOHC engine. Intake, header and exhaust are difficult to find but do exist. After that... things are going to get scarce. Sleeveing the block would be required to be able to use aftermarket pistons... and these would have to be custom made. I am unaware of anyone who created a connecting rod for the H23... Crower offered one YEARS ago, but it may be discontinued. Cams would have to be made custom... and I would try Web Cams for that service.

As TimiK stated, building this engine will be REALLY expensive... and if that is your intention simply to be unique or different... then by all means, do so. If your idea is to get more bang for your buck... this engine platform is not a good choice.
Everything above is pretty much correct. I have a 92 Si myself and building it would be expensive. You could engine swap it with the JDM H23A and maybe a different throttle body, but you won't get much without spending much. You can up your compression ratio of the engine by changing to S spec pistons but I'm not entirely sure if the engine would need to be sleeved. It's hard to find performance parts for the USDM H23A1.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just leave it stock and focus on maintenance. I had zero issues going over mountain passes in my old prelude w/ pretty much the same engine (h23a3 block w/ a1 cylinder head.) You can hold the rpm while going up and it won’t go down like SOHC engines.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I am unaware of anyone who created a connecting rod for the H23... Crower offered one YEARS ago, but it may be discontinued.
H23A1 rods are the exact same as F22A/B rods. They are still in production from various places.

I'm inclined to agree with the rest of the posts though. These are not cars to easily or inexpensively go fast with. They are fun, inexpensive cars that can really be thrown around and enjoyed with a few chassis mods. Just because you can make them fast doesn't mean you should.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My H23A1 is still running strong even though my pistons rings are bad. I've been looking to do a JDM H23A build for over a year now, and any significant NA build to make some sort of power gain is going to be 3k-5k (without the labor of a mechanic and including some cushining for mistakes along the way).
Old 06-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok my apologies I was working on car and actually took a look at the engine it is the F22B so if there is any advice what needs to be done for it too comfortable run a turbo, Basically rebuilding everything with all high performance parts just a little upgrade from stock I want to do what needs to be done with the engine first before I start upgrade ignition, throttle body, pumps, fans ect got new tires and suspension and new absorbers comming in car runs really great now gets up to 160 no problem, it's more of a sentimental project before I start something more serious something I'll be keeping for everyday driving aswell, but throughout winter I want to rebuild the engine with the proper parts than start upgrading the other stuff, I have read the F22 is more towards a turbo and h22 is more for n/a and super charger
Old 06-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

I would like to see a stock F22 do 160mph. If yours is dual cam and just stamped "F22B" then it's basically an H23A1 in all but sleeve material and bore size.

Anyway, my advice is always to start with the chassis and then add power. Get the suspension, brakes, tires, bushings, etc up to par to handle more power and then add it. F22 is a good candidate for a turbo setup but they have their limits and the setup/tune must be done well. You can make 300whp on a stock engine reliably with good parts and a professional tune.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

160 km/h lol.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 806 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
160 km/h lol.
You might be on to something there.

OP, can you post a photo of your instrument cluster please. I have never seen a 4G Prelude Instrument Cluster that actually indicated 160 MPH... I have seen some that indicate a max speed of 140 MPH, and I have even seen a few that show two un-numbered marks beyond the 140 MPH mark which would represent 145 and 150 MPH... you have me intrigued.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
160 km/h lol.
or 160°F
Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, 160 km/h speed limit here in Canada is only 90 to 110 that I have seen nearby not 160 mph, it would be nice but thats a little crazy lol, so what's a good Chassis, than what should I be changing within the motor brand, type, compatabillity, I'm willing to change everything to a higher performance part within the motor if I have some advice on what to change and the F22B is a single cam motor I'm pretty sure anything to make it more powerful and quicker as of now I got the tires suspension absorbers and will be redo ING AL buschings to polyester here's here's photo of my little project so far
Old 06-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I mean is what arethe necessary upgrades that are needed before a turbo and tune, and what I can do to upgrade it safely without getting it tuned, I have read a lot of information and there is a lot of things if I went and upgraded like Injectors ect ill have to get a immediate tune, Therefore I want to know what I can prepare and install before a tuning that is also working towards a Turbo Kit, and what all needs to be installed and upgraded with a Turbo Kit and what is the best suitable Turbo to get, if that makes sense, Everything I'm going to need a tune with is going to be all paid for and in a package for the Tuners and Mechnics everything else I'd like to do myself, basically do what I can without needing a tune, but preparing for a Turbo Kit

GOT NEW BRAKES
NEW TIRES AND SUSPENSION ON ORDER
BUSCHINGS WILL BE NEXT
WHAT WOULD THE BEST CHASSIS UPGRADE?
NEXT SUMMER WILL HAVE ALL MY BODYKIT, SPOILER, TRIM AND EVERYTHING NEWLY.PAINTED TOP SUNROOF BEING CUSTOM GLASS TOP, SHE WILL LOOK VERY NICE NEXT YEAR