Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs

Has anyone used a plug-and-play HID kit on a 5th gen? I know, I know, everyone is gonna say "Yo man you need a projector retrofit or else the light will be all scattered" (ok, maybe no "yo" but w/e lol)

I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and if so, how did it turn out? Any pics?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HIDs (viper_boy403)

Here you go https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch Also, why did you post a thread that you already knew what people were going to say?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i did search already and didnt come up with anything

i made the post because ive heard that its useless to get HIDs unless you do a retrofit but at the same time ive heard that it just has a bit of glare

just looking for some firsthand experience of non-retro'd HIDs
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HIDs (viper_boy403)

Ive had a set of mcolluch HID 6000K on my 5th gen and I love them. They have been on my car over 2 yrs and they are still bright and runnin strong.

It all depends on you. I spent about 300 for my plug and plays.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viper_boy403)

The glare isnt too bad as long as you aim them correctly.

I love mine, I guess its all preference. If you want to spend 300 on plug and plays or 800 for retrofits.

thats my 2 cents.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Inextricabledrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inextricabledrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The glare isnt too bad as long as you aim them correctly.

I love mine, I guess its all preference. If you want to spend 300 on plug and plays or 800 for retrofits.

thats my 2 cents.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just depends on what setup you get...I have an E46 setup that I charge $600 for
Old 06-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (prelude1897)

i've heard people saying you need the projectors with them but what about if your car came with projector headlights as standard except they were halogen headlights not hid, would that be better that just plain reflectors?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (pizzamanprelude)

had hids using stock headlights for a week...then I installed my projectors, and the diffence is huge.
with stocks you'll get a lot of glare, even when aiming correctly. Maybe if you polish your headlights every month it'll be ok, but I suggest getting projectors
Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smeck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pizzamanprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard people saying you need the projectors with them but what about if your car came with projector headlights as standard except they were halogen headlights not hid, would that be better that just plain reflectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some projectors will work fine, but others won't. I know some Valeo Halogen projector will work just fine if you were to put HIDs in them, but cheap projectors like off ebay or something won't be as good. You'd be better off swapping in some HID projectors for better performance

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smeck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">had hids using stock headlights for a week...then I installed my projectors, and the diffence is huge.
with stocks you'll get a lot of glare, even when aiming correctly. Maybe if you polish your headlights every month it'll be ok, but I suggest getting projectors </TD></TR></TABLE>

Finally someone else who agrees about having a retrofit done. Some people just won't know the difference unless if they've had both. With projectors, the lighting spreads evenly like it's suppose to onto the road instead of all up in trees and signs.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1897 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some projectors will work fine, but others won't. I know some Valeo Halogen projector will work just fine if you were to put HIDs in them, but cheap projectors like off ebay or something won't be as good. You'd be better off swapping in some HID projectors for better performance </TD></TR></TABLE>

got ebay projectors here, not the cheap ones tho, but quality is good, lenses are clear, no fogging and it passes every test so it's 100% streetlegal
Old 06-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any before and after pics of plug and play HID's vs HID retro's?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viper_boy403 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually i did search already and didnt come up with anything

i made the post because ive heard that its useless to get HIDs unless you do a retrofit but at the same time ive heard that it just has a bit of glare

just looking for some firsthand experience of non-retro'd HIDs</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you ************. Either retrofit or be just like all of the stupid civic-owning ***** that drive around with HIDs that either blind everyone or provide **** for light.

I hate you.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

calm down u *******, it would just be temporary until i buy projectors: ive gotta save up for a new paintjob first

PS: i hate u too, ******
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viper_boy403 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">calm down u *******, it would just be temporary until i buy projectors: ive gotta save up for a new paintjob first

PS: i hate u too, ******</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you ******* useless sack of ****. You don't buy "temporary" rebased HID equipment, especially not to tide yourself over for a paintjob.

Either buy proper equipment, or don't do it at all. Being blinded by annoying ***** like you makes me want to run you morons off the road.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (The Phil)

liquid courage FTW

by the way, i have many friends who have non retrofitted HIDs and they do not scatter light all over the place and they look fine. love you phil!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">liquid courage FTW

by the way, i have many friends who have non retrofitted HIDs and they do not scatter light all over the place and they look fine. love you phil!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your many friends should thank whatever deity they wish for not having to live near me.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smeck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

got ebay projectors here, not the cheap ones tho, but quality is good, lenses are clear, no fogging and it passes every test so it's 100% streetlegal </TD></TR></TABLE>

How are the ebay projectors not cheap? There's only 1 type of ebay projectors for the 5th Gens and they're all cheap. If you paid over $400-$500 for them, then you were ripped off, cause I've seen them as low as around $300 and they're all the same exact things. I actually have a pair here at my house right now that I'm replacing the projectors with. When I got them, they were broken during shipment, so I have to send them back. I agree that I like the lenses being clear, but disagree by the quality they are
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ what kind of projectors are you going to put in those ebay headlights? 'cause I'm thinking of buying a pair too and swapping the projectors for some E39 ones I have...but I don't know if they'll fit.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (El_Arsonista)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El_Arsonista &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ what kind of projectors are you going to put in those ebay headlights? 'cause I'm thinking of buying a pair too and swapping the projectors for some E39 ones I have...but I don't know if they'll fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The customer I'm doing them for is wanting me to put E46 Single xenon projectors in them
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think they'll fit? From the pics, I can see that the lens is like 3" wide.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (El_Arsonista)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El_Arsonista &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think they'll fit? From the pics, I can see that the lens is like 3" wide. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure since I never got a chance to take the headlight apart
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have seen plug and play hid's on a couple preludes and they still look pretty good. Again you have to make sure you aim them correctly, but personally I would probaly cut corners here too.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94Vtecluder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94Vtecluder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have seen plug and play hid's on a couple preludes and they still look pretty good. Again you have to make sure you aim them correctly, but personally I would probaly cut corners here too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So have I and they were blinding the hell out of me each time I looked in my rear view mirror, and yes the guy had them pointing downward...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HIDKIT glare - an up and coming epidemic.

the issue isn't just glare from oncoming traffic, there's HELLA situations where HIDkits just **** regular drivers off.

here's my HIDKIT pet peeves
-when hidkit car is turning, light shines on ME and leaves me daized in middle of traffic for a few seconds
-rearview mirror glare, makes it hard to concentrate.
-sidemirrors glare, looks like a fireball and i can't change lanes safely cuz i cant see how far or how close they are
-cross traffic, im passing by a 2stopsign intersection and i get blinded from the corner of my eye.

just get retro's guys.. theres a reason why the OEM HIDs are used and thats simply cuz they were professionally designed to do their job well and consistantly (mass produced w/o incident)

just my 2cents