Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

help battery being drained by something

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help battery being drained by something

im am completly out of ideas of whats draining my battery i have a 4th gen 96 lude h22 and i bought a new altenator,battery,battery terminals and then i have a prestige alarm and a aftermarket stero everything started to go bad wen i dropped my car =D can somebody shed some light on my situation before i got crazy and leave my car to rust in the driveway =P
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Default Re: help battery being drained by something

HAhah.

Bad connection somewhere, where the altenator isnt charging the battery
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The alarm and the amplifier are your primary suspects. Most likely one of them is pulling juice even though the car is off.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i had this problem not too long ago,

Check your ECU Fuse in the fuse box under the dash ( this will cause alt not to charge battery )

Engine grounds. Other then that, I'd assume theres a short or a parasitic drain somewhere in the car.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH
The alarm and the amplifier are your primary suspects. Most likely one of them is pulling juice even though the car is off.
X2
I would start my troubleshooting there first.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have an AMP just the head unit thats all and its like 3 yrs old same as the ALARM im wondering if its the connecter to the altenator cus wen i took the plug off the connect looked cloged with chewed doublemint gum lol but my friend says its suppose to be greased but yea ill check out the fuse box then go on from there thanks guys
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That chewed doublemint gum stuff might be corrosion of some kind. Take the car in to an autozone or something, they can usually do a battery and alternator test.

Also, it could just be that your battery is old. I had a problem like this a couple years back on my mercury tracer. Turned out it still had the OEM battery in it from the factory and it was just dead. Battery was like 10 years old at the time.

Definitely check as many things as possible though before you go spending money on parts you may or may not need.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The alt plug has either Gray or Brown Electrical connector grease do not clean this out. Its there to keep moisture out and secure a solid connection.

Check your fuses, Its not something you usually think of, The Fuse is your Cruise Control, ECU and i think ECM or w/e is the third one.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Green corrosion on electrical connections can be removed easily with a warm can of coca-cola. Just follow that up with some water or you get a sticky mess.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its actually corrosion, From what he describes its what Honda puts in there stock
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it not charging at all, or just a slow drain when the car is off? If it's parasitic and you have a DMM, unplug the negative from the battery, then test across from the battery positive to a chassis ground. If you have some voltage, you've got a short somewhere. If you think it's the stereo, pull the ECU fuse from the underhood fuse box and re-test. Keep trying fuses until you find the culprit circuit. If the alarm is direct-wired into the battery, trying unhooking it as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the battery is new the altenator is new took them both to autozone to get tested seperate on there machines passed 3x no faulty build what happens is that wen the battery is charged and i start driving it for about 15 min my dash lights start to dim from the clock to the tachometer goes to zero then my car starts to sputter wen i push the gas down and then it struggles to turn on then DIES......=( i kinda hate looking like a dumb *** in the middles of the street not being able to turn on emergency lights cus theres noooo power what so ever and having ppl drive by going wtf why is this guy stopped in the middle of the rode heres a pic of the plug
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

possibly bad alternator again.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The same thing is happening with my car. Ive changed everything twice or more and still the same out come. I havnt drove my car for 2 yrs because of this. It has now been in the shop for 4 months at $90.00 with no luck, Man my bill is goin to kick my ***.

Last edited by Tweaked; 08-06-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fastrider213
the battery is new the altenator is new took them both to autozone to get tested seperate on there machines passed 3x no faulty build what happens is that wen the battery is charged and i start driving it for about 15 min my dash lights start to dim from the clock to the tachometer goes to zero then my car starts to sputter wen i push the gas down and then it struggles to turn on then DIES......=( i kinda hate looking like a dumb *** in the middles of the street not being able to turn on emergency lights cus theres noooo power what so ever and having ppl drive by going wtf why is this guy stopped in the middle of the rode heres a pic of the plug
That sounds like a loose connection or alt belt. Basically, your alternator isn't charging your battery properly. If both pieces check good, like you say, then it MUST be in the connection between the two. That or the belt isn't tight enough to turn the alternator.

Originally Posted by Tweaked
The same thing is happening with my car. Ive changed everything twice or more and still the same out come. I havnt drove my car for 2 yrs because of this. It has now been in the shop for 4 months at $90.00 with no luck, Man my bill is goin to kick my ***.
Months? Finding electrical problems is easy if you're handy with a multimeter. I'd take it to a professional automotive electrician.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i was lucky enought to find a 4th gen lude at a pick a part and i cut the connecter and quickly putting it in my pocket while looking around making sure no one saw *shifty eyes*.....well yea ima work on my car tomorrow and see if i can get it to run without it draining the battery
Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck man.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
New User

Try this i have a 99 prelude and my wheel well flew off on the free way, there is wires underneath the driver wheel well, i was having the same problem as you and what happend is that since my car is lowered it ate up the tape and cut some of the wires underneath causing my ECU fuse to burn out. reattached the wires, replace the fuse and see what happens.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I think that might work for me reason being it would get worse when I would drive in the rain.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like some advice too...same problem basically but without the stereo. The battery slowly drains. The altenator is working because if I push start the car it will still run...any ideas for me?

Sorry to thread jack
Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Follow all the same advice and provide more details.