Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 help!

Hey well I need some help I'm baffled my car won't start it doesn't crank I've checked the fuses their all fine I checked the starter an starter relay the relay was shot so I replaced it,but still nothin the only way I can start the car is if i use jumper cables an power the starter solenoid directly which leads me to think the clutch switch might be bad can anyone verify this or point me in the right direction thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help!

Good thinking on the clutch switch. Most clutch pedals have a plastic piece that actually mounts into the pedal and makes contact to the switch. When that plastic piece breaks/falls out, nothing is left to push the switch.

if the plastic piece is there, you can unplug the switch and short it with a paperclip (or just leave it open....I can't remember if the signal is connected OR broken when the switch is pushed). Try it both ways to see if you get it started.

Next step is to check voltages at the starter when cranking, at the key when cranking, and everywhere in between.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Trial User

Well the car wont crank at all when I use the key I've checked my grounds an wires theres no shorted wires the reason I mentioned the clutch switch was that when I started it last time I set the key to start an left it in neutral with no one inside to hit the clutch I just gave straight power to the starter solenoid an the car started right up this might sound a bit stupid but I wonder if my alternator had anything to with it not starting since it sits below the power steering pump thats been leaking I can see quite a bit of oil inside the windings of the alternator does that make any sense????
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by J3450
Well the car wont crank at all when I use the key I've checked my grounds an wires theres no shorted wires the reason I mentioned the clutch switch was that when I started it last time I set the key to start an left it in neutral with no one inside to hit the clutch I just gave straight power to the starter solenoid an the car started right up this might sound a bit stupid but I wonder if my alternator had anything to with it not starting since it sits below the power steering pump thats been leaking I can see quite a bit of oil inside the windings of the alternator does that make any sense????
I am not familiar with many cars..just ones I have owned/worked on. Any fluid any where it is not supposed to be is not good. Straight power to the starter bypasses the clutch switch. The clutch switch is supposed to determine whether or not to allow the car to start.

Start with what I said. It's a common problem. Get upside down and look to see if your pedal is missing a piece of plastic that hits the switch. If not, then unplug the switch...try to start it. If nothing, use a paperclip to connect the 2 wires (not on the switch)..try to start it.

If the plastic is there, and it won't start under either condition (open or shorted with a paper clip), then the clutch switch is not your problem. You can use a ohmmeter to test the switch (open and closed) to look for different resistances when switched on and off...but that is just to confirm proper switch operation.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, as a side note because this is not as common, but sometimes the electric part of the ignition switch can get a little loose on cars. The key goes all the way through the lock and only the tip of the key hangs out the back side, turning the switch. If the switch isn't securely mounted, it might not be getting fully turned to "crank" position.

I have not had this issue with my honda's but twice with my mazda's.

--TJ
Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Trial User

I checked below an saw the pieces of plastic you were talkin about theres a hole were they go through did u mean something that hits it??
Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Trial User

Turns out you were right a piece of plastic must have fallen off from the clutch that wasnt pressing the switch in because I pressed the switch with my hand an turned the key an the car started right up thanks a lot
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked below an saw the pieces of plastic you were talkin about theres a hole were they go through did u mean something that hits it??
Those pieces of plastic are probably meant to be up therrrrre in the pedal. The plastic touches the switch, not the metal of the pedal arm. If there is room, push the switch with something while turning the key but be suuuuree the car is in neutral or IT WILL TAKE OFF!!!!!!!

If you can't reach to try that, then push the pedal with one hand all the way to the floor. Use your other hand to feel for the clutch switch on YOUR side of the pedal arm. If you feel the "button" of the switch poking THROUGH a hole in the pedal (that's where the plastic piece was used as a stopper), then use a small bolt/nut to replace the plastic piece.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bypassed the clutch switch and made my own like a toggle switch lol y u ask because of that same problem and cuz it was fun to freak my friends out by not having to press the clutch in to start the car + when my ex-boss asked me to drive my car for work and not pay me for gas i could flip the switch and tell him car wont start sorry boss use your own car for your own personal stuff
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danscrxsi
i bypassed the clutch switch and made my own like a toggle switch lol y u ask because of that same problem and cuz it was fun to freak my friends out by not having to press the clutch in to start the car + when my ex-boss asked me to drive my car for work and not pay me for gas i could flip the switch and tell him car wont start sorry boss use your own car for your own personal stuff
Did yours have a plastic piece in the pedal arm that broke? kool idea tho.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Trial User

Haha dope better than a kill switch haha
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out you were right a piece of plastic must have fallen off from the clutch that wasnt pressing the switch in because I pressed the switch with my hand an turned the key an the car started right up thanks a lot
I just saw this post.. YW, just be sure to come back and help others.