Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Has anybody ever had valve problems before?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody ever had valve problems before?

OK, my car is running like S*H*I*T right now and it's starting to drive me crazy. First off I have a misfire detected in my second cylinder which I was going to get replaced/ fixed for about $1,000. Also today I just found out I have a misfire in my 4th cylinder and now I think I might have to get this one replaced/ fixed. So all together I'm basically spending $2,500 to fix these two problems.

Someone on this message board suggested to buy a brand new engine from http://216.105.48.137/index.as...ry=19 and just simply swap the two. A "Honda H23 Prelude" engine is going to run about $2,750 on that web site, does anybody else think this is something they would do in my situation? I had never done an engine swap before, will this require a lot of my time or do you think it would be easier taking it to a shop? someone please respond...
Old 09-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Has anybody ever had valve problems before? (FlyWithMe825)

From the sounds of it... I would let someone else look at your car. Get a second opinion from another shop, or better yet see if there are any honda-tech members in your area that may be willing to check it out with you.

Sounds fishy to me. Give us some more info. How many miles? Misfire? What do you mean? How did you detect this? Who is your shady arss mechanic?

Ughh....
Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Has anybody ever had valve problems before? (FlyWithMe825)

i live near concord too.. i know this hella goodass mechanic here.. who does stuff ro pretty good prices Pm me for the place if you still need it
Old 09-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Has anybody ever had valve problems before? (esca)

My Prelude is a 2000 SH with 45,500 miles on it. I bought it from a Honda Dealership in the Bay Area. They told me it was a Certified Honda but however after stripping the door panel off and looking at the paint it was obviously in a crash because there are two re-enforced steal bars in the door and there are two different types of paint on my car. Also the engine valves were way too tight (found out the hard way).

The check engine/ ATTS light did not go on until I installed a Greddy Catback exhaust for it. I had them loosened at a small car shop but after a few days the check engine/ ATTS light came back on. I brought it back and they told me that I had been driving on the tight valves for way too long and they were causing misfires in my cylinders. I tested the car myself with the CEL test and I got back the codes…

Check Engine Light - 72, 73
ATTS - 43, 42, 51, 43, 35, 72, 18
ABS - 53, 54, 81

Again I’m not to sure what to do now… buy a brand new engine and deal with the swap or take it to shop and have them replace my 2nd and 4th valves?

The performance parts I have on my car now are…
Greddy Catback Exhaust
Weapon R Down Pipe/ Headers
AEM Cold Air Intake
AEM Pulley Kit
MSD Ignition Wires