Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22 Hesitation **its been searched**

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Hesitation **its been searched**

Ive had my motor for about 2 years now and every SUMMER when its hot outside i tend to get this bad hesitation all through out the powerband. Note that this only happens during the summer on hot days. At night when its cool it runs great. My Cat was in bad shape so i gutted it hoping to reach the next step in figuring this problem out. So far i have only upgraded my Plugs and wires as a fix for this problem. Its starting to **** me off because i paid 4k for the swap and ive had this problem ever since. This is what i plan to do:

1)Buy a CAI to reduce the temp. the motor is getting on these HOT days(I have a short ram right now)

2)Clean or purchase a new o2 censer

3)Wrap all my fuel lines and intake with some kind of temp. wrap to reduce the temp of the fuel going to the motor and the air going though the intake

I know alot of people have gone or is going through this problem with the Jdm H22's
i just cant find a thread that deals with the H22 in preludes specifically.

ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EGR Valve?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AdReNaLiN)

i have the same problem as many others due too. I have my egr blocked off so I know it's not that. I changed o2 sensors so I know it's not that. A CAI helped a little bit. I'm in the process of building an aluminum heat shield for a short ram.(one of my many unfinished projects)

i personally think it's a bad knock sensor. when i can find a cheap around i'm gonna put one in and see what happens.

i think it could also be timing related.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yOnKiNaToR)

sounds rich.

did the air temp sensor get damaged maybe?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

knock sensor . .... seriously i had the same issue ,

heat soak is very common and there isnt much to do about it . but as engine temps increas so does the possibility of knock happenign. the lude ecus are know for being a little over sensitive, and pull timming out when its not really needed .

when i replaced my ecu with a chiped p08 it was night and day .

on a hot day 1st gear was as good as any other car . but when the ecu change happened 1st turned into full wheel spin (im not judging power at all by the *** dyno i just knew how unresponsive it is .

Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and buying a new KS will not fix the problem for long
Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (machine4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by machine4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">knock sensor . .... seriously i had the same issue ,

heat soak is very common and there isnt much to do about it . but as engine temps increas so does the possibility of knock happenign. the lude ecus are know for being a little over sensitive, and pull timming out when its not really needed .

on a hot day 1st gear was as good as any other car . but when the ecu change happened 1st turned into full wheel spin (im not judging power at all by the *** dyno i just knew how unresponsive it is .

so are u saying i should buy a new ecu?? or a knock sensor?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by machine4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh and buying a new KS will not fix the problem for long </TD></TR></TABLE>

its what made my mind up to go OBDI
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22-VTEC)

Yep mine bogged horribly until i replaced my ks. It still does is occasionally only on hot days, runs way better after the replacement.. The only way to fully get rid of it is to get it tuned.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine will hesitate at around the 2-2.5rev range. I've blocked off the EGR and I am replacing my ignition leads with NGK's in a few days.

Is there another solution to the Knock Sensor? maybe using one from another car?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can use any vtec motors' knock sensor as long as its in the same OBD
Old 04-27-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Re: (98vtec)

how do u know what obd you have
Old 04-27-2006, 06:15 AM

What are knock sensers, Where are they located and how much are they to buy??
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue you described. I noticed it would occur more often during the Summer than any other month. However, it did happen sometimes during the other months. I changed my O2 sensor and ever since then, the car has run fine. I track my car so the heat soak issue has been proven to not be the case.

How old is your O2 sensor? I wasn't throwing any code either.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by machine4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">knock sensor . .... seriously i had the same issue ,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

seems very promising. i wonder if it's possible to make a small circuit to put in place of the knock sensor? (so the ecu doesn't throw a code).

hey machine, a little OT but, you used a p08? doesn't throw away your secondaries control? you didn't lose low end from that?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (AndyD)

I am not sure how old it is i havn't changed it and i have had the car for a little over 2 years. I dont think they put a new o2 senser in when they did the swap so i might need to get a new one. Can you tell it an o2 senser is in bad shape just by looking at it? Also, what brand o2 senser did you go with just an oem one?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen a civic on H-T with a GM knock sensor - he made an adaptor to make it fit..

I bought a set of NGK spark plug wires to see if this would help solve my hesitations. Will let you know after a week or so.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm, if you don't know how old it is and you are having a similar issue as I had, I would change it first. Changing the O2 is not a bad thing to do. Just because you aren't throwing a CEL doesn't mean your O2 is fine.

I replaced mine with an NGK. I think it was $100 shipped to me.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEAH , MINE DOES THE SAME THING. LOCAL HONDA DEALER SAYS IT WAS PULLING A CODE FOR A CLOGGED EGR PORT...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: (AARON-BB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AARON-BB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YEAH , MINE DOES THE SAME THING. LOCAL HONDA DEALER SAYS IT WAS PULLING A CODE FOR A CLOGGED EGR PORT...</TD></TR></TABLE>

so it would seem to me that we should unclog our EGR ports right???
Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yOnKiNaToR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yOnKiNaToR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

seems very promising. i wonder if it's possible to make a small circuit to put in place of the knock sensor? (so the ecu doesn't throw a code).

hey machine, a little OT but, you used a p08? doesn't throw away your secondaries control? you didn't lose low end from that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea it did , i had them removed on the h22 and didnt notice a big difference.
but on the f20 i ran itbs so it didnt matter
Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so it would seem to me that we should unclog our EGR ports right???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dotn know how it would through a code for blocked egr port .

they only egr code it ca through is just the fact the egr isnt responding at the proper times .

some other tips on reducing heat soack . if your runnign stock header put your heat sheild back on .

also i did the nasa crap mod (just insulated foam tape and house insulation ). it made my cold air intake acctually cold .
Old 04-29-2006, 10:03 PM

I would clean the EGR ports, see where your at and then look into new a O2. Denso or OEM depending on how modifed your engine is you may even need to go with a good wide band and have it tuned.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just block off the EGR valve with a piece of sheet metal cut to size. Then use carb cleaner to clean up your EGR valve and install it on top of the plate. This will hopefully get the sensor to read properly and disable the EGR valve's operation.

So has anyone got a solution for the Knock Sensor?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:41 PM

You have a vote here for Knock Sensor also that was my problem.

As for a fix if you do a search there is a guy that came up with a way to bypass the knock sensor by using parts from Radio Shack. I can't recall exactly what it was but he gives an outline of what to use and how to do it.

Quick Reply: H22 Hesitation **its been searched**