Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Is the H series as strong as a B series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the H series as strong as a B series?

In terms of reliability and abuse? My friend has a GSR that he revs the **** out of and cruises around at 4000-5000 RPM. He treats it like it was a bike or something. Amazingly it runs good as almost new. My other friend on the other hand with an F22 in his Accord blew his **** the same way and I know the H and F are identical except for DOHC and VTEC.I rarely cruise over 3000 RPM in my lude and maybe hit VTEC like once or twice a week. Im too afraid my **** will just blow up on me.

So are the heads, cams, and block of the H series just as strong as those of a B series? Is the H series just another version of an F series?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:26 AM
space cadet

Default Re: Is the H series as strong as a B series? (Luchini)

i beat the **** out of my car. previously owned by a chick, purchased at 42 k. has just over 74k on it now. redlined every time i drive it (when it works right).

the only problems i have ever had with the car are ones that i have cuased due to mods.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

registered a few months early eh.

i rev my h22 daily up to 8k. motors just dont blow because of reving too high.

slipping into the wrong gears might mess somethign up. just depends how high you miss shift into sometimes. and alot of stories you hear of blown motors aren't from stock motors.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

h22's are made to rev high. they can take the abuse.

it's when you make changes that you run into problems, but a stock h22 shouldn't have a problem with 7000 rpms.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

when gas was cheap, i got up to 8k everyday, but with gas prices raping me, i only do it every so often now
Old 11-08-2004, 02:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Jon Like Wh0a)

short answer: no

And there are DOHC F series, and DOHC VTEC F series, and there's a lot more differences, like FRM for example.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (satan_srv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short answer: no

And there are DOHC F series, and DOHC VTEC F series, and there's a lot more differences, like FRM for example.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well whats the longer answer?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:43 AM

Default Re: (Luchini)

be more specific. what do you want to know?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:45 AM
space cadet

Joel,

what ever happened with the 8k crank snap? we seem to be seeing more and more people pushing the H to that now then two years ago with a lot less problem.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: (Shakes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shakes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Joel,

what ever happened with the 8k crank snap? we seem to be seeing more and more people pushing the H to that now then two years ago with a lot less problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

H23 crank? I don't see that happening yet. Anyway it was a spun bearing plain and simple that wasn't addressed fast enough.

But regardless compared to b-series motors I still would not say the motor is as strong in terms of durability. They just have larger strokes, you're working against physics no matter what
Old 11-08-2004, 03:03 AM
space cadet

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

H23 crank? I don't see that happening yet. Anyway it was a spun bearing plain and simple that wasn't addressed fast enough.

But regardless compared to b-series motors I still would not say the motor is as strong in terms of durability. They just have larger strokes, you're working against physics no matter what</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not talking about yours in particular. but for a while there we had a lot of talk about how the H22 crank likes to snap after 8k. something about possibly hitting a harmonic that it didnt like and then bam.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shakes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not talking about yours in particular. but for a while there we had a lot of talk about how the H22 crank likes to snap after 8k. something about possibly hitting a harmonic that it didnt like and then bam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I still think that's H23...I don't think the H22a really has that problem if properly built. Main thing here is that very few motors make the powerband to rev there anyway
Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the H series as strong as a B series? (Luchini)

My car has 160k on it now. The original owner (good friend of mine) drove the car hard just about everyday ... with the exception of him misshifting (damaged most of the valves) the car has always ran very well. The bottom end has never been opened up, only the head has been re-worked.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (gaydm.accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gaydm.accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">registered a few months early eh.

slipping into the wrong gears might mess somethign up. just depends how high you miss shift into sometimes. and alot of stories you hear of blown motors aren't from stock motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHA. This is funny.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gaydm.accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">registered a few months early eh.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What setup are you running? Stock will never see 8k. There is no power up there anyway unless you are built.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuperSlow)

U dUmB..yO!! iT's aLl aBoUt rEvViN yO sHyT.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U dUmB..yO!! iT's aLl aBoUt rEvViN yO sHyT. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. Just need that "mugen chip" from ebay. Mad Cheap power yo!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hit atleast 8K daily (once a day, freeway merge ). 8400 on the tach. good times.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98TypeSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hit atleast 8K daily (once a day, freeway merge ). 8400 on the tach. good times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YEah, but U Is JUN EvryThang.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

details details. lol

Overall id say no. a B series is stronger for sure.

But, a B series in a prelude is outright madness.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

edit:

jdm h22 with p13 ecu, basic bolt on's for now. i really need pay attention to my vafcII and let you know how high i get it at, but then again how accurate is that vafc? The stock tachs are off by 400 as many of you already know, so realistically i would probably be at 7600.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gaydm.accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">edit:

jdm h22 with p13 ecu, basic bolt on's for now. i really need pay attention to my vafcII and let you know how high i get it at, but then again how accurate is that vafc? The stock tachs are off by 400 as many of you already know, so realistically i would probably be at 7600.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, this is why I make fun of people when they make comments like this. There is not ANY basis behind "revvin da shyt out of mah motor".

My whole point is if you are not making power in that RPM range, there is NO reason to rev it that high. You are just over stressing the motor.

Based on the basic stuff you have on your car, there is no reason to rev it past 7200rpms.

"H22's like to rev" is the lamest comment I hear. What does that mean?? It means NOTHING!!

To this day, I am still trying to figure out why people get excited about spinning their motor to 8K-9K rpms with basic mods.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AndyD)

usally they are trying to stay in VTEC on their next shift, unless they are some "m4d t1ght stunn4" and just like the sound the car makes or something.

Agreed no reason to rev past your powerband, unless you are at some track event and trying to land in vtec (or if you decide you wanted to give that Porsche 911 GT2 a run for its money LOL)
Old 11-08-2004, 09:34 AM
space cadet

Default Re: (98TypeSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">usally they are trying to stay in VTEC on their next shift, )</TD></TR></TABLE>

i shift at 7200 RPM with a 12 lb flywheel and stay in VTEC every time.people need to learn to drive.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In Honda-challenge racing, B motors blow all the time..

I am the only H series, my only problems with the motor have been with running with no water and the autotensioner crapping on me..

BTW, I make about 20more hp then B series...

Quick Reply: Is the H series as strong as a B series?