Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

A few things to think about when going N/A......

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 02:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (JG Luder)

On the siphon effect on exhausts ... it doesn't work like a siphon. The gas analogy doesn't work apreciably because you are talking about gravity feeding a liquid. For a gas to work that way the gas you would be siphoning would have to be significantly more dense than exhaust gasses.

The PDF flies seem to hold water technicaly and so I think I learned something there.

As far as transaxles go... how much power will the stock transaxle handle without serious risk ... 300wHP....400wHP? I haven't got a clue, I have just heard fantastic things about Honda transaxles.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very informative. Thank you JG!!
Old 05-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know that im interupting a great thread that we have going here and i promise to only make this one last question on this topic. is it really that big of a pain to swap out a clutch by yourself and if so what are some helpful hints or things that i should watch for when doing this upgrade? the advise would be very helpfull. my knowledge
Old 05-18-2002, 10:29 AM
New User

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (93jlude)

prelude and certain accords are supposed to be a real pain in terms of clutch swaps =P civic and integs... different story
Old 05-19-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (preludeboy)

I can personally vouch for that...

Me and my friends just recently changed the clutch on my '87 Prelude Si....what a royal pain in the ****. If it wasnt for the broken bolts and the shear ammount of stuff we have to move and remove it wouldn't have been so bad. Getting to certain bolts was often tough and putting the tranny back into the car was very difficult. The clutch is quite a chore.

I do believe it was well worth it though, as i saved $380 in labor considering i took it to a mechanic before we did it ourselves and he told me it would cost $500 for the whole job.(120 for the part + 380 for labor.) I thought those prices were stupid so we did it ourselves. Just be prepared.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So a 5gen with full interior can lay down low 13's all motor? I didnt think that was possible, bc from what people say laying down 12's with a jrsc is almost impossible even with built motor and thats with a sc? If 13's are possible with a lude = 2954lbs then shouldnt 10's with a turbo in a 5gen lude be possible
Old 05-20-2002, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (showlude)

Oh, 13's are very possible with a 5th gen. One thing you might invest in is an OBDII to OBDI ECU swap.

all the boltons you can find , higher compression, nice set of cams, ECU work, get that redline and fuel mapping up there to work with the cams, a few other tricks, and some dyno time? I have no doubt that a 5th gen can break 13's.

almost wish I had a 5th gen to do it in just to prove it. Anyone want to volunteer their car that has a few grand laying around? But that's how my project got started. People said I couldn't do it. Said the Prelude was a pig. "You can't get 13's on street tires, impossible without stripping it." BAH, all you need is insanity and a deep pocket. lol
Old 05-20-2002, 09:50 AM

Yes, if you want to run 12 or 13's in a prelude you must really love them and have a very very deep pocket!
Old 05-20-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (prospeed)

How about a silver spoon at birth?
Old 05-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That book does talk about the intake plenum and tuning it and the theory is similar. The size and shape of the intake plenum can be changed to ram tune the intake for efficieny at a specific RPM range. That book does more comparison between different designs, though rather than teaching the real theory behind what's happening.

An excellent book on engine theory is 'Engines: An Introduction' by John L. Lumley. Don't let the title fool you, it gets very detailed into what's happening in the engine and how it react to changes in the geometry. It also talks about engine modeling using the freeware stanford engine simulation software http://esp.stanford.edu/ It can get a little heavy on the math side, but even if you don't want to follow along with the formulas you can still get alot out of it. This is one of the better books that doesn't cost crazy amounts like the actual school textbooks. It also has talks about real world examples of modern engine designs including Honda VTEC technology, lean burn technology and various tumble, swirl and gas direct injection technologies that are out

If you manage to read through that book, you'll know more engine theory than 99.9% of the people who post in the Tech section.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:31 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (DirtyLude)

LOL.. I just prefer to leave the rocket science to the rocket scientists.

Everything I've learned/noted has pretty much been through personal experience, or from seeing it first hand.

The only true way to learn.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:04 PM

Well done JG. Nice user friendly writeup. Too bad simplification may lead to objections, but the more the better when it come to engine talk.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:23 AM

For a 3000lb anything with wheels, you'll need roughly 300hp+ to put down low 13's. Some engine builders have made that kinda power with these motors N/A, but they are in no way streetable...not unless you have DEEEEP pockets.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (vwandhondaboy)

300+ to the flywheel you mean, not to the wheels. you can actually pull 13's with about 250 to the flywheel.

peace
Old 05-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (wutangben)

stepped exhaust system. basically you want an exhaust that starts out small and gets bigger as you go further back (to maintain velocity).
Actually, exhausts gasses lose a lot of energy as they travel further back (mostly heat loss to the exhaust piping which helps cool the gasses). With less energy, to maintain the same velocity, you'd want to reduce piping diameter as it goes further back. This helps maintain velocity and forces the gas particles to collide more with eachother to regain some of the energy (heat) lost. Well, that's theory at least. the real world often times proves theory wrong.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:01 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (bhcvc)

yeah, theory and I don't get along well. LOL

I'm not a book racer, or a magazine racer, so I generally leave a lot of room in my hypothesis for interpretation and correction. What I know, I've come up with the HARD way.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:05 AM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (wutangben)

300+ to the flywheel you mean, not to the wheels. you can actually pull 13's with about 250 to the flywheel.

peace
Ya high 13's your right about 255ish hp to the flywheel will get you there, but the next 0.5sec requires exponentially more horses.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (vwandhondaboy)

thats is some very good info. i just wanted to know if some of it is useful for integras. ive been tryin to find out some good info. will i be able to run 11.5:1 on using 93 gas...??

thanx
Old 05-23-2002, 07:00 AM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (baonest)

thats is some very good info. i just wanted to know if some of it is useful for integras. ive been tryin to find out some good info. will i be able to run 11.5:1 on using 93 gas...??

thanx
you want real tech info? http://www.automotivetech.org/forumd...58b&forumid=78

enjoy
Old 05-26-2002, 04:49 PM
New User

On the topic of transmissions: Ive been asking around and researching the possibility of using a 4th gen Prelude transmission in a 5th gen base model. So far, the ocnsensus is that it will work. I was concerned about the splines being different, but since the Quaife LSD im putting in is used in 4G and 5G Preludes, and Accords, that question is also answered. Does anyone know of a reason this might not work? Transmission mount differences? Shift linkage differences? The dimensions should still be the same, correct? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (nighttime)

On the topic of transmissions: Ive been asking around and researching the possibility of using a 4th gen Prelude transmission in a 5th gen base model. So far, the ocnsensus is that it will work. I was concerned about the splines being different, but since the Quaife LSD im putting in is used in 4G and 5G Preludes, and Accords, that question is also answered. Does anyone know of a reason this might not work? Transmission mount differences? Shift linkage differences? The dimensions should still be the same, correct? Thanks in advance.

It will work.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:49 AM

What would you recommend for me to upgrade my fuel? Do I need a fuel pressure regulator? or a Fuel gauge? I'm kind of new to this.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (initial-d)

What would you recommend for me to upgrade my fuel? Do I need a fuel pressure regulator? or a Fuel gauge? I'm kind of new to this.
Depending on your setup, you might even need a fuel pump. For basic boltons, yes, a fuel pressure regulator (NOT B&M!) and a fuel pressure gauge will do fine.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:53 PM

what about a fuel rail? is that of any use?

my engine's running at 10.5 CR, cams, obd1 computer swap already.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:46 PM

Default Re: A few things to think about when going N/A...... (initial-d)

JG has enlighten me. So with the basic bolt ons like I/H/E Cam gears, VAFC AEM Fuel Rail And Fuel Pressure Regulator with Pressure gauge what should I set my Fuel Pressure at. I just need a rough estimate cuz the guy who installed it set it at 40psi at idle. I want to make sure that this is ok. I need to dyno soon but nobody around that I know has any knowledge on Hondas just muscle cars. Thanks for the help! Oh its a 2000 Lude.

Quick Reply: A few things to think about when going N/A......