Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

ok thanks. got to find it then haha. almost put it on with out it.

I will actually update with pictures tonight.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (amalby)

got it painted today. im at a stand still though. lost that little washer that we were talking about earlier. Guess I will have to go buy a new one tomorrow. opps.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Re: F22 Build (amalby)

Am I losing my mind, or does that block look like it is not sleeved!

It appears to be an overbored stock sleeve block with ::gasp:: a block guard.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22 Build (Bisimoto)

^^I do see the block guards and there's a lining in the cylinders that looks pretty thin....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the sleeves do look thin IMO I do think that there was work done to them. This is my 87mm overbored F23 block. The sleeves appear to be quite a bit thinner and the amount of aluminum between the iron liners is mych thicker in my example.

Pirate
Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 PM

As you can tell it is sleeved. The people said that there was only 1 design for my block that they could offer me and that was what they called a straight through design. I have trusted this company so far even though it took longer than expected. They told me that the sleeves were tested up to 50 psi. Although it is not your normal sleeved it is still as strong as the others.

This picture may not be the best but it's all I got. But they are very similar to the post above me.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM

What type of oil should I be using with this new engine?

I was running 5w-30 Havoline full synthetic oil before the rebuild.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

break it in with cheap, non synthetic oil.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blake's right. use the nastiest, cheapest crap that's still oil to break it in but use a real nice filter. M105 or a Wix or Honda S2000 filter will do the trick. Swap out for full synthetic and a new filter after your break in.

Pirate
Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Thanks a lot. Honda called today and my parts are in so its time to get this beast together. hopefully I don't hit anymore snags.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for my sake, i hope you dont either. I have an f22 in my 96' prelude s. and i think after I do the H22 swap, i'll start building the f22 as kinda of a back up engine.

nice build. keep us posted.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM

after the break in what type of oil do you guys recommend?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Re: F22 Build (PirateMcFred)

just thought Id let you guys know that its running and ill put up some pics soon.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! Congratulations!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what head gasket and timing belt did you use?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Re: F22 Build (IrregularRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IrregularRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what head gasket and timing belt did you use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the F23 head gasket off an 97 accord. worked out perfect. Although before boost I need to get a new one that is 050" thick for the safe side and to drop the compression just a bit more hehe.

Timing belt was a stock f22 belt.

But I am having a problem with the rocker arms hitting the valves. they make a clicking noise. I have adjusted these so they don't really do it anymore just by feel and touch. But in the book it says use a feel gauge and your spouse to have between .009 and .011. well I made sure it was at this and it made the clicking. I am just worried now that I have the valve just a bit open. I dont think I do but ill double check.

also I am leaking a little bit of oil. right above the half shaft and to the left of the oil filter. its coming out of a hole that looks like a bolt goes in, but I cant find anything in the book I have nor my picture I took, but ill double check. Any ideas? or suggestion's about breaking it in?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe there is a balancer shaft service bolt that goes in that hole.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Re: F22 Build (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe there is a balancer shaft service bolt that goes in that hole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think your right.

Anybody have any pictures of the back side? that show all the parts?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx for the info. i hope you get those issues solved. i wish i could help with some pics, but i havent started my build yet.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about this, but I have a very noob-like question.

What head are you using?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IrregularRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry about this, but I have a very noob-like question.

What head are you using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am running the same stock head that came on the motor. I dont know the code but its the non-vtec f22a1.

but I has 1mm over valves that are forged and have a black nitrate coating, titanium retainers, and new springs. I had a basic port and polish of the head. I have the stock rocker arms on there with the bisimoto 1.2 level regrind for his turbo applications. With the F23 stock head gasket. ARP head studs.

and dont worry dude, im still like you. haha
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. when are you taking it in to get dyno'd
Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IrregularRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks. when are you taking it in to get dyno'd</TD></TR></TABLE>

in about a month. I want to get new injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, cold air intake, and maybe fuel rail. But most people say the rail is good up to 600hp.

the about a month or two later I will turbo it.

I am so excited!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Default Re: F22 Build

we its been awhile...my car still isn't turboed, nor dynoed.. but I havent driven it much...I crashed my bike so that has set me back a lot.

But the good news is I finally saved up enough money I think to turbo this guy. I got about 3000. Im going to pull the engine and paint the bay glossy black. also when its out im going to tuck some wires, move the battery and fuse box. probably delete the cruse control and bunch of other non need stuff. expect for power steering cause I like it lol.

well my question is what should I set me redline at? I know i know it matters where the power band is at and when you stop making power. but I was on another site and the guy told me that the f22 doesnt like to go higher than 7200 rpm. When I put this thing together I made sure that everything what good up to 10,000 rpm. Stock is at like 6200 rpm so another 1000 rpms is great but I was under the thought that I was going to be able to go to like 8000 rpm or close to it...maybe higher but idk if the turbo with keep up with it.

my next question is what type of turbo set up should I got with. mainly turbo...I know I want external Tial wastegate. Top mount turbo, HKS SSQ, im keeping the stock bumper and modding it to fit a 28x6x2.5" Inter cooler, oil lines, 1200cc injectors, walbro 255 pump, Neptune RTP ( for tuning), there tunner view for gauges, I need to figure out better spark also cause I don't think the spark plugs/ wires I got are the right temperature rating.

but for turbos I got not clue what company to go with or what size. I mean I can say gt30r but I dont know if thats the best turbo for my engine.

anything helps guys.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22 Build

One of the quick questions have you ever driven a car with a turbo set up on it. I know you built this big bad motor to put this decent turbo set up on it, and drive the hell out of it. Have you thought about running a smaller turbo to get used to the power difference. This will stop you from blowing it up and, setting you back a lot of time and money. This will also stop you from killing yourself if something was to happen. not saying that you don't have driving skills. but things happen.

you have posted up this build? have you done anything to the suspension of the car you are putting this in. to help with getting all this hp that your trying to achieve to be useful. if so post up links of it. over all build up of a car is very orientated and watching things unfold and begin to take shape is a blast.

good luck on the build

kra

Quick Reply: F22 Build