Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Exhaust noise levels in dBA

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust noise levels in dBA

Looking for a legal exhaut here -> the limit seems to be @ 85dbA, i think it's taken from 1.5m behind the car.
I've got a H23A, i think H22A produces about the same noise.
Would Thermal Stealth fit the bill ?
Anyone has any figure ?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (Jesus_FR)

yeah i would like to know too guys but from what i know you can go mugen qiuet but loud when it hits vtec...

you can also get it a ticket from a shop saying that your exhaust is okay for the street........(something showing your exhaust is not loud for the cops if there those dick cops out there you can show them that)
Old 12-02-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (Anhjockz)

Well some cops are boneheads and they'll just stick out their noise meter, and ask to rev up to 4200 (that's what is written on my car ID papers) - if i refuse i'll have to put an OEM exhaust in less than 24h (or some ludicrous short time) and show up at the police station... On the other hand if i comply and they get less than 85 dBA they can say *nothing*
Also the noise limit is enforced on many tracks out there (Europe) -> over 90 dBA = no access to the track.. and of course i'm building the car for that.

Ah i also contacted Thermal R&D about that - but got no answer.

(edit) Is there a Mugen model for 4th gens ?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow seems to be a bit worse over in Europe. Here in Cali in the U.S. the sound dBA limit is 95 -/+1.5. I recently went to a state referee to get my exhaust tested for sound and I failed, on my sound test I got 99, 98.7, and 98.6. I gotta go again with my silencer see if I can pass. If I do pass then I get a certificate stating my exhaust meets state requirements.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (caLiH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caLiH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow seems to be a bit worse over in Europe.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah current policies here are leaned towards "no car - take mass transports" - for example gas is at ~1.10€ per liter (which is about $1.32) aand we're not supposed to do anything on our cars, even rims are illegal but "tolerated"
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caLiH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I recently went to a state referee to get my exhaust tested for sound and I failed, on my sound test I got 99, 98.7, and 98.6. I gotta go again with my silencer see if I can pass. If I do pass then I get a certificate stating my exhaust meets state requirements.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Which exhaust do you have ? Apexi N1 ?
Old 12-04-2003, 05:04 AM

*bump* just in case someone knows. would hate to spend $700 (shipped) for an exhaust that i cannot use..
Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here in PA it's something like 95 dB, and it's measured at cruising speed from approximately 50 feet away or something really retarded like that
Old 12-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jesus_FR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Which exhaust do you have ? Apexi N1 ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you are quite close, I have a N1 style muffler with 2.5" pipping and a Carsound 2.5" high flow cat.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (caLiH22A)

I do believe that the greddy sp1 exhaust is 50 state street legal, not my pick for sound but i do believe that it comes with some papers that say its legal.

I run a thermal classic with a test pipe NOT LEGAL, but its low enought that it doesn't attract too much attention until i get on it
Old 12-04-2003, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (93ludeSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ludeSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I run a thermal classic with a test pipe NOT LEGAL, but its low enought that it doesn't attract too much attention until i get on it</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ah thanx i'm seriously considering that Thermal Classic exhaust. When you say "NOT LEGAL", it's about its sound level (too high ?), or just "not validated by authorities" ? I've got an AEM CAI, is the exhaust louder than the CAI at WOT ?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:09 AM

well, the thermal classic is boarderline illegal due to decible levels, but the sound is deep enough that it doesn't seem that loud. Once i took the cat off and replace it with the test pipe the car became much louder. But cops are funny, i have only gotten pulled over once and then questioned about my exhaust, It was in MA and the officer said that"it was illegal to modify any exhaust on any car" which doesn't make sence as there are some systems that meet db restrictions (greddy, ect)

You can def hear the exhaust over the CAI, but i think that kind of goes for any aftermarket exhaust
Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 AM

Where did you find a rule in Pennsylvania that says how to measure the dB level? I have yet to see that. The general rule here is that you are supposed to have an exhaust that does NOT exceed the level of a stock unit. There are NO PA Troopers that I know who carry a dB meter and none that I have spoken with who have gotten under a car to inspect it for exhaust. This is my experience.
Now to tracks in the USA--many are imposing a max of 95 dB. Read the SCCA GCR to see how that is measured. The general on-track method is to set up the meter 50' from the edge of the track. The Euro method will be similar even if the level is different. BTW: There are 2 scales and one must be careful to measure using the correct one or build the exhaust so it is always under the limit.

I have the Thermal R&D unit under my 99 and it meets the dB limit for California. It is 6dB louder in the cockpit than a stock exhaust as measured in my garage. The undercar dB is close to 95 measured at idle and at 1 meter from the side. Thermal does not offer tech data as far as I know, but their units are CARB'd.

My race exhaust was built by Meineke and meets the limits for use at 3 tracks. We checked it using my meter and it never was over 95dB even at full throttle. I assure you it is quite loud nonetheless &lt;BG&gt;.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (jc836)

I found it out from PennDOT a while back when I also asked to find out the legal tint limit in PA. I still don't get why truck platform vehicals (trucks, vans, minivans) can have dark tint and cars can't. Isn't that being biased on size?!?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (rjr162)

hahaha.... In alberta canada, it is illegal to have exhaust tips...technically the stock ones fall in this category, but it is not illegal to drive without a muffler!!! go figure. up here they don't really do sound tests, they bust you if your exhaust looks big, they don't even have to listen to it. but they are usually ok about it, but if you're already getting a ticket they wll tack it on, stupid quota system.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** Canada...........Thats what I say
Old 12-14-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Exhaust noise levels in dBA (jc836)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jc836 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The undercar dB is close to 95 measured at idle and at 1 meter from the side.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanx for the info
I suppose the 'Thermal Stealth' is more appropriate in my case, then....
Old 12-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Greddy PE was at 93 dba w/o the straight pipe. My engine bay was at 124 dba with the hood open!