Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Euro R LSD Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro R LSD Tranny

Hi, newbie here! My current 93 vtec needs a new tranny and I was wanting to replace it with the Euro R Lsd tranny! I need 1 and 2 synchros cuz its grinding and not sure what else i need so I figure its probably better to replace than to repair. My problem is trying to source one. Where would be a good shop or website to start searching! Thanks for the help people!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Euro R LSD Tranny

How badly does it grind? 1st and 2nd are pretty hard gears to mess up, especially first, someone just must not knew at all how to drive a manual to do that.

I have the part numbers somewhere, got them from a site that ordered them outta japan but I cross referenced them and some US model transmissions used the same sleeve sets. I'll have to try to find them.

EDIT: email these people http://www.autodynamics-honda.com/slsesy.html

Last edited by minilogoguy18; 06-26-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It grinds pretty bad to the point I can't get into gear. Sometimes I push a little harder on the shifter and you can hear a clunk. There have been a few times when I can't into gear at all, the only way is to turn the car off, shift into gear and start the car again! Thanks for your input!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a t2w4 or t2t4 then go buy one they are worth the money for sure, however if you want to fix your trans then contact gearspeed/synchrotech and buy new synchros and fix the trans. Depending on what transmission you have all the repair replace parts are easily accessible.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

also, it might be that your shift fork is bent rather than the syncros being shot. I would look into it in anycase
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

small possibility of motor mounts also but yeah I think its probably synchros here
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 604BB1
It grinds pretty bad to the point I can't get into gear. Sometimes I push a little harder on the shifter and you can hear a clunk. There have been a few times when I can't into gear at all, the only way is to turn the car off, shift into gear and start the car again! Thanks for your input!
If your have trouble putting it in 1st gear and Reverse if you have tried...check your clutch operation. As far as a bent fork..it is highly unlikely.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably not a fork but it is possible, there is a TSB on the 5th gear fork for all manual transmissions mated to an H or F but of course these cars are far out of warranty.

If you want a T2W4 get ready to pay some money, don't waste your time on a T2T4 or M2B4, the gear ratios are nothing special and the viscous LSD in the M2B4 sucks.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did you source you t2w4 for?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1500 shipped from CA to FL, was back when no one sold em separate, original owner killed the Euro R engine pretty much right after swapping.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shipping all the way to FL I bet wasn't cheap. I live in washington state, so I'm hoping that may make a bit less.. I'm going to be I n the market very soon for a trans. The t2t4 is still $800, so I may just suck it up and save for a t2w4 or the ATR trans which has even better gearing. But is also a lot more rare, so I bet that adds to the price... are you happy with it, did it make the difference?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, huge difference over Prelude transmissions, have to be 1 gear higher to be at same speed and RPM as a Prelude trans, much shorter ratios. Seems to be the equivalent of a B16 trans but with a slightly taller 5th, acceleration is way better. U2Q7 which is the ATR trans is the same as T2W4 but with a shorter 5th if I remember right, hard to find too.

T2T4 is really just a 5g Prelude trans with a LSD, gears aren't any different.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i have gone through two t2w4 transmissions, the first i had sent from japan, via keith tau(rpm garage store),. the second came from ontario. Both the transmission were low milage, and the first was 1600 plus shipping, the second was 1450 plus shipping, mind you these are winterland prices and the shipping for each was right around 350 dollars.

I have had my t2w4 installed now for two years...possibly three i would have to check my records.

Interesrtingly enough my 6mt j transmissions (one for j32a2 and one for j35a4) were quite expensive. the j32 6mt was almsot 1800 but i got the engine for free with it, and the second was 700 usd plus shipping and whatnot, for total of 1140 usd. Thats not quite as much as the t2w4's but still expensive when you think about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^The CL Type S 6 speed is VERY rare, your price really isn't that bad, everyone doing a J swap is looking for that transmission.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ yes i know, but mines form a tl-s 2004, and the other is form a 2008 tl type s, the CL-S 2003 transmission is a bitch to use as you have to have allt he flywheel trigger sensros and the actual j32a2 form the cl as well as the pcm and other sensors as the one ckp pick up is on the rear of the flywheel.

Tessa and i also have a 2008 acura tl type s 6mt, in white, and its ******* awesome!!!

One of the best cars i have ever driven, comfy, luxorious, tons of poweer, great on fuel, looks terrific, and most importantly its still a honda hahahah.

The only trans i need now is a k20 type r jdm, with the lsd in it, then that can go on my k24 and ill be happy as a pig in ****.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just happen to have this saved to my desktop lol. I want the T2W4 and install the accord f series 5th gear. 4 super short gears for getting on it, and one economy gear for freeway driving. I seen a thread on it, the cog/sprocket need slight modifying but can be done.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the t2w4 fifth gear is great for highway cruising, in mine when im at 110kmp which is the speed limit here, im just at around 2500 rpm or so, which is pretty good on fuel really, the fifth gear is the same as the stock m2y4, so it gets great up and go due to the close 1-3 and then 4 and five are pretty much the same.

I wish i could get my hands on a u2q7, been looking for that unicorn for almost 7 years now!!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, don't ruin a good tranny with Accord gears.

I don't drive my Prelude every day, I'd trade my T2W4 for the U2Q7 if I could.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Leave the accord gears for the boosted setup.transmission, m2s4 with new synchros.accord fifth gear m factory lsd and new bearings and seals all.around, this.is only.purpose.to have accord gears lol
Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still think a oober tall 5th would best suit my needs. I do intend on daily driving my prelude, and its 30 miles round trip to work and back. I do alot of freeway driving, road trips, so having the R's sitting as low as possible would increase my MPG by a bit. Not to mention Im strait piped and will be loud, lower R's is quieter.

I intend on attending autocross events, and this is what Im building the car for. Its not meant to be a strait line car. You never see 5th gear on a autox course, and for the times I am on the free way I will be spraying a 75 shot of dry n2o. So wouldnt the taller 5th gear be better for freeway cruising with nitrous anyhow?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here I'll give you the best advice anyone ever could when it comes to modified cars, don't use them as a daily driver, get something that is reliable with good gas mileage. Best thing I ever did, wish I would have done it sooner. You don't know how much stress it relieves when you can drive and not worry about **** breaking or the car being too low or loud.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Shooting nitrous while daily driving on the highway? Why not.just keep the gears the same and run less nitrous???
Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bouckaroo
Shooting nitrous while daily driving on the highway? Why not.just keep the gears the same and run less nitrous???
LOL i wont be spraying daily, that wouldnt be good.... Just saying Its going to be there if I want to try freeway pulls. Not going to be button happy, mainly just not to get stomped that bad against something turbo or if im late for work.

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
Here I'll give you the best advice anyone ever could when it comes to modified cars, don't use them as a daily driver, get something that is reliable with good gas mileage. Best thing I ever did, wish I would have done it sooner. You don't know how much stress it relieves when you can drive and not worry about **** breaking or the car being too low or loud.
I agree, but im not building something crazy, maybe 220whp n/a and around 300whp while spraying. Cheap, fast, reliable, you can have 2 but not all 3. Im not being cheap, this has been a 2 year progress stacking parts and thousands of dollars been spent. Its should be relatively reliable using the parts I am, only expecting 60K+ miles anyhow. It would kill me inside to spend $12K into a prelude, then never drive it....

I may wait until Ive driven it as is before I swap out gears. Its just a idea ive been kicking around.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is just bolt ons, tune, suspension and some custom stuff and I still think it's a terrible daily driver, I love driving it from time to time but mainly just being lowered is just a pain, I also spent $4k on a top notch paint job so I'm also worried about leaving it parked places.

My 2004 Accord EX-L sedan is way more comfortable of a daily ride.

It's an old car, you think it'll be reliable but **** always breaks.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a prelude in a trade one time. It had the same problems as you are describing. Turned out the guy didn't have a clue to drive a stick but still consistently abused it. What happened is He got the disk so hot when it cooled down it glued everything together. Even with the trans out of gear or the clutch peddle is pressed trans would still be turning.I would pull it apart before I go tranny hunting. Just a idea from past experince. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Euro R LSD Tranny