Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey

Id just like everyone here to know that there is a buyer beware out there for JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in North Jersey.

Its not a bad deal for 850 bucks, but the money that you will just toss away fixing all the problems that are going to happen are just plain retarded. Im sure that many of you know that I have done a swap recently, and I bought a motor from this site. I regret that I didnt just spend the extra 500 bucks and get a good one from hmotors.com.

So far Ive spent about 800 bucks just buying and refurbising this motor to its current state. Its going to run about another 500 bucks atleast to get this thing running 100 percent.

I emailed the man who sold me the motor and he said sorry to hear that but we only have a warrenty for products a month old.

But the crap that is poping up after Ive had the motor installed and running for over a month is now adding up big time. Even if I installed the motor the very day I bought it, 6 weeks later new issues are poping up. So beware.

Heres the Web Site
http://www.jdmenginesinc.com/shop/

And Address
60 Spruce St.
Patterson NJ
Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (Acidcrakker)

thanks for the heads up....Makes me glad that I have access to a salvage yard near me where I can purchase a motor if I ever need one
Old 12-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (prelude1897)

that sucks i hope you get it all worked out
Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (cb7tougeracer)

Next time check out JDMenginedepot.com , it is in Kearney, NJ and I hear good things about them. Prices are comparable and you do not have to pay the shipping from HMotors. Sorry that you had to learn the hard way.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (jzobie1)

I have to say that you just didn't know what you were doing man. I bought my engine from there, was swapped in and has been running perfectly fine ever since. This is more a case of installation error if anything.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (jzobie1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jzobie1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Next time check out JDMenginedepot.com , it is in Kearney, NJ and I hear good things about them. Prices are comparable and you do not have to pay the shipping from HMotors. Sorry that you had to learn the hard way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1. I've had a positive experience with my current engine/tranny from JDM engine depot in Kearny. Plus, you can go & check out the motor, do a compression test, etc.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (94Vtecluder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94Vtecluder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to say that you just didn't know what you were doing man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i somewhat agree. I bought my motor from steve at Hmotors, never had a problem. it took 8500 rpms when racing, broke down the motor and the bearings were still in fairly good shape.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (94Vtecluder)

Reguardless of weather I was the most talented tuning expert or someone on a crash course motor install, a broken part is a broken part. Ive taken it to local shops to have work done to it right and its wired up right, the parts are crap. I have the motor running for a little over over a month now, and it is throwing new codes at me left and right.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94Vtecluder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to say that you just didn't know what you were doing man. I bought my engine from there, was swapped in and has been running perfectly fine ever since. This is more a case of installation error if anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (Acidcrakker)

What the hell did you expect from Patterson?

lollllll.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (bboixtc)

I checked a couple Tuner sites and asked around for awhile before I bought. He had good feedback from other customers. Well I filled a complaint with BBB. Mabey they will go shake him down for me.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably not! BBB only gets involved when the complaints pile up where it blocks where their coffee's would be sitting.

94Vtecluder

And for those saying its installation error, You don't know shiet, nore do you know Acid's mechanical inclination so for you to blame him, without even knowing the reality in the situation, is all your personal hearsay which in reality means nothing . His topic was a warning to people buying motors from JAPANESE ENGINES, not an opening for you to flame him for his bad luck with purchasing a piece of shiet motor.

Thanks Acid, and sorry about the few jerks still not squashed out in this forum (as of yet).

*edit. The second a business washes their hands of your problems is the second they become stooges out to take people's money. Motors can last for 10 years sometimes with proper maintenance. So for his motor to have non stop problems since purchase, is a f*ck up on JAPANESE ENGINES part, and <U>not</U> ACID's.

*edit #2, (removed my personal comments)

Modified by mattsnooz at 7:08 AM 12/23/2007

Modified by mattsnooz at 7:08 AM 12/23/2007

Modified by mattsnooz at 7:09 AM 12/23/2007
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

List of said issues?
Also what prep work did you do to the engine prior to installing it?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (117)

Lol MAtt thanks for the backing. If you wanna hear something funny 94Vtecluder originally turned me on to the company, and he had nothing but good things to say.

As for original prep work
1. Timing belt replacement
2. Spark pugs
3. Water pump
4. Oil Flush
5. Valve cover gasket
6. Valve adjustment
7. Spark plug Wires
8. H22 to H23 dizzy swap
9. Front theromostate swap
10. Custom P.S. pump bracket
11. Altenator
12. Oring replacement on Oil cooler
13. Replacement Crank Pulley
14. Manual Tensinor Conversion
15. Header Replacement
16. EGR replacment
17. Solinoid/air tank swap (bottom of intake manifold)
18. Replace FIVC

Now those are a bunch of stuff I did just to get it running. Not much didnt mind replacing must of that stuff to begin with. It was wired up buy a certifed tuning shop in my area and I trust that everything is A Okay. Ive check the wires just to see if everythng matches up, and so far as I know everything looks good.

Now for the list of need repairs as of today.
1. Clog EGR ports(not related to code 12 )
2. Bad EGR somewhere
3. Bad Throttal Body
4. Bad IAT sensor
5. Bad Fuel Injectors
6. Bad Vtec Oil Pressre switch/solinoid

Thats alot of BADs for a motor to be sold with. Even if I take a trip over to the Philly junk yards, it would still be pretty exspensive and risk them failing as well. Going to Honda would probally cost me atleast an arm and mabey a leg. I've pretty much chew as much of this as I can stand.

Ive got the shaft end of the deal on this one, but its become more of a lesson learned that something lost.

Now as for current codes:

Thats alot of codes for a supposedly well running motor.

So far I have assembled the Top portion of the IM with the H23 IM, it solved my cold start issues, after I have replace, recleaned and reinstalled te FIVC.

Now this Morning I woke up, winter is here and its NJ. Not a good time to be monkeying around with motor. Ive Put numerous hours of work and research to get it running operational. Not only have I learned a whole crap load more about my car and how it works, but now feel more mechaniclly confident about being about to take my car about.

This is great and all if I did all this work to a 15 year old car that Ive had in my hands since day one. Now I bought this motor a little under 2 months ago.

Now someone tell me that is a great running motor and that Im just plain crazy.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Prep work looks okay. I would have done the front and rear main seals, but you're not having a problem with that, so no big deal.

Have you run a the trouble shooting procedure on the EGR valve to ensure that it's working properly?

What's bad about the throttle body? The TPS?

What's bad about the injectors? You can have them cleaned fairly cheaply by Witch Hunter Perf.

Is the VTEC solenoid bad or the pressure switch?

Is take it that your car was not originally a VTEC model?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (117)

Have you run a the trouble shooting procedure on the EGR valve to ensure that it's working properly?

Mgags has been helping me with some trouble shooting. So far we've come up with everything is connected properly.

What's bad about the throttle body? The TPS?

The TPS is cracked open and is what is probally causing crappy cold starts.

What's bad about the injectors? You can have them cleaned fairly cheaply by Witch Hunter Perf.

Ive run 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner through them. If that stuff wont work then nothing can(cough cough) Nah the pastic on the bottom of them are cracked chipped ad broken. Ive ordered new O rings for all them to get rid of the gas smell.

Is the VTEC solenoid bad or the pressure switch?

Havent figured it out yet

Is take it that your car was not originally a VTEC model?
92 si but code 22 narrows it down
Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Acidcrakker)

No prob, my first motor I bought and swapped was a lemon, so I had to empathize
Old 12-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i turns out that he actually might be replacing these defectie parts after all. I just got a message from him, saying he was going to look for the replacment parts. Now if he is going to replace them or charge me for them IDK. But I would like to think he would be replacing them, then it would be a very merry christmas for me. All this Jive slit talking would have to be undone.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not too hard to do.. We can all *delete our posts lol.

then it will magically disappear.

So you probably won't hear anything untill the holidays are over or are they open this week?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (mattsnooz)

IDK i got the Email this morning. I hope he does replace them so I can shoot up N. Jersey on Thursday or Friday. But the sucky thing is Im going to have to swap all the parts in the middle of Patterson NJ. Or I have to get a 2nd car to just drive up and return. Either way is a pain.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Looks like this post wont have to be deleted. No news from this guy.

Bad Business
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got an Email From BBB, prob nothing going to happen, but it will break *****

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Complaint ID#: 80007976
Business Name: Japanese Engines, Inc.

Thank you for contacting BBB. Your complaint was received by BBB on January 3, 2008 and has been assigned case# 80007976in our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:
Japanese Engines, Inc.
60 Spruce St.
Paterson, NJ 07501

The case has been reviewed and has now been forwarded to the business for their response. This business has until January 18, 2008 to respond to your complaint. You may contact our office after January 18, 2008 to check the status of your complaint.

We encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system to keep up with the progress of this complaint. To view the details of your case please go to the following website address: http://app.newjersey.bbb.org/c...d36cn.

Sincerely,

Melissa Companick
Service Representative
BBB Complaint Department </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM

i agree this is crappy business on his part but he does note on his site that

Note: The Throttle Positioning Sensor on our Japanese motors is sometimes broken and
cracked during shipping and handling of the motor, if this is the case, you will have to
use your sensor from your car on our engine.

so i dont think you will be credited for that....

that note seems to be on every engine

sorry to hear this happening to people. i dont know how businesses can continue to run when stuff likethis happens...
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (IIVIIoOkY)

well I really dont care about the stupid parts. Its more of a "point than anything else"

Im planning on getting the s2k tb soon, so that should come with a new tps.

And when I get it tuned later on in the year, all the other crap than is giving me problems is gone.

I have pretty much got the whole thing fixed and running 100 percent.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks man.

I got a bad motor from the Engine Depot in Kearney. It had a broke timing belt and bent valves and it was supposed to have like 50-60k miles on it. Spent almost $700 in parts and labor to get it put back together right. Never knew if it would work b/c I sold it for alot less than I put in it.

They said they would have helped me out but I couldn't afford to ship it back to them or drive the 9 hours back to their shop.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey (pinecone)

Lol. I just recieved a letter in the mail. I was really going to let this go, cause I really dont care. Everything is working, after altering mostly everything that was causing issues.

Anywho, got a letter in the mail from the BBB. Apperantly Jap Engines are claiming they have never sold the me the motor in question. Even though I have the paypal reicept and the signed invoice from Jap Engines.

Well its just to funny. Not even sure Im going to continue persuing this. I worked through the issues caused, now everything is gravey for now.

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy Products From JAPANESE ENGINES INC. in N. Jersey