Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Differences between adjustable mount and ball jounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between adjustable mount and ball jounts?

hi. I was wondering if anyone that knows about ingalls camber kits tell me what the differences between the adjustable mounts and the ball joints. I know the adjustable mounts go between the upper control arms, not so sure about the ball joints-is it a replacement? Anyways is there an advantage one has over the other?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Differences between adjustable mount and ball jounts? (phatsindabuildin)

i know someone out there has ingalls. which one did you get?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 PM

i have tried the adjustable mounts before on my old accord, but i haven't needed them for my prelude. i'm not sure what the advantages of either one is, but my mounts kept coming loose and i would have to re-tighten them a lot and my alignment would get all messed up. i had a shop install them too so you can't blame it on me!

i was told (by a local race shop, speedware motorsports in WA) that the factory suspension on a prelude has plenty of adjustability, and aftermarket camber kits are not neccessary, and would actually cost more to align since they require more time to fine tune. if you are getting this for alignment purposes only, then check with whoever is doing your alignment and see if they think you should even bother with the kit.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Differences between adjustable mount and ball jounts? (phatsindabuildin)

yea i figured i didn't need a camber kit. I had dropped mine about 1.5 " and got an alignment. My specs were great in the front, -1 both sides. Then in the back i got two different specs, -2 in the left and -1.5 in the right. wtf? i dunno if it was a bad alignment or that he couldn't adjust it without a camber kit. Anyways i plan on going about another inch lower so the rear camber would definitely exceed -2.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phatsindabuildin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi. I was wondering if anyone that knows about ingalls camber kits tell me what the differences between the adjustable mounts and the ball joints. I know the adjustable mounts go between the upper control arms, not so sure about the ball joints-is it a replacement? Anyways is there an advantage one has over the other?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Adjustable mount anchor bolts: Physically move the control arm towards the outside of the car to push the top of the wheel out, creating positive camber (to whatever extent your hardware is capable of) I don't have any experience with these.

Adjustable ball joints: replaces the existing ball joint with one that has an offcenter orientation, so that spinning the ball joint creates either positive, negative, or zero camber change depending on the location of the ball joint bolt.

Here my ball joint is positioned to create the most positive camber. Note the lower ball joint bolt is further "away" or more towards the outside of the car and is not aligned with the larger mounting bolt above. However, by spinning the ball joint, I can align the ball joint bolt outside, inside, or even with the upper mounting bolt.

hope that makes some sense.