Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Changed Front and rear brakes and rotors to cross drilled and slotted but.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Front and rear brakes and rotors to cross drilled and slotted but.....

1995 Prelude Vtec

Yes so i changed the front and rear brakes and changed the rotors to cross drilled and slotted rotos but in the front when i apply the breaks is shimmies pretty bad. When I had my OEM normal brake and rotor set up it didnt do this. I have just put another set of rims and tires on the car from 17's to 15's but it still does this. Could my rotors have been warped? Or Did I not put the rotors on and tighten the bolt good enough? I know this isnt suppose to happen I had drilled rotors on my VW golf and this never happend

Negrodamus
Old 03-13-2006, 06:21 AM

Make sure your caliper is on tightly.

Might want to take the rotor off to check lateral run out.

Oh - just for info - the high today in Fresno is 59 degrees with no chance of rain until late tonight. It'll also get around 40 degrees tonight. Lookst like you have a decent day - not much wind - 10mph tops. Good luck with everything. Perfect day to take the car apart.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Changed Front and rear brakes and rotors to cross drilled and slotted but..... (Negrodamus)

What kind did you put on?

Another case of you get what you pay for. Personally I don't see the need for drilled/slotted rotors with the materials used in brake pads today. Stock rotors with metallic or semi-metallic pads are about the best bet for 98% of cars. If you really do feel you need drilled/slotted, you want to go with a name brand. The reason is the cheaper versions are notorious for not having the engineering capabilities in design. What ends up happening is companies buy the regular blank rotors and just drill the pattern into them; usually drilling through at least a couple sets of the internal "fins" that provide stability. With the rotor weakened, this area will collapse with the heat and use. Granted sometimes a batch will turn out with none of the supports harmed, but it's really just a crap shoot.

I found a really good write-up of this a while ago, I'll see if I can find it and post it up for you.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 AM

Well said. My advice - stop driving the car - Hopefully the rotors don't look "used", because you can check lateral run out - compare with the specs, and send it back if its outa spec.

Lewdin' - you're looking at a high of 68 degrees right now with 80% chance of rain. Tonight - you're looking at about 37 degrees with a 20% chance of rain. Guess you won't be going fast today at all. Tomorrrow your forecast is scattered snow showers with a high of 37 degrees. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Weather Man)

LOL @ The Weather Man!

Did you use new pads or did you re-use your old ones?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like warped rotors to me. check the run out with some calipers or even by visual inspection.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

Hey Naptown King Pin...

what's the weather gonna be like in Chi?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 PM

yea i think they are warpped i will get my old rotors resurfaced and go from there thanks again folks dang kingpen didnt know you do weather LOL
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
EOE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Negrodamus)

Also wanna make sure that you sand down any rust or inperfections around hub where you going place the new rotors. The part that is behind the rotor, if it is uneven itll make your rotor sit uneven and cause vibration.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok kingpin this weather **** is scaring me....hahha

have rotors cut when you get them, esp if theyre of sketchy manufacture....
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Changed Front and rear brakes and rotors to cross drilled and slotted but..... (Lewdin' Incogni

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lewdin’ Incognito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Another case of you get what you pay for. Personally I don't see the need for drilled/slotted rotors with the materials used in brake pads tody...
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you please elaborate on this as I've heard it before. Many people say that slotted or Cross-drilled rototrs are worthless. Are they really?? Why do High end oem's usethem??. Hell ,motorcyles have used drilled rotors for years. I dont understand how they could NOT benefit us.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:48 AM

I thought cross drilled/slotted rotors were just for cooling purposes.

Why do "HIGH END" cars use them - the key term is High End. We don't need them on our hondas - the dust shield helps cool the rotors down enough. And high end cars have WAY more surface area than we do on our rotors.

Just think about it - if you take out material you'll lose contact area for your brake pads. Motorcycles go faster, have to slow down quicker - have huge rotors and thus need to be cooled down better.
Edit: oh, and they only have two.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_sober &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hey Naptown King Pin...
what's the weather gonna be like in Chi?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hm. Today you're looking at a high of 42 - no chance of rain; however, its going to be windy as hell. Winds could get up to 40mph - did you just get a tornado this past weekend? Hope that all worked out great - sunset is at 5:56pm and the low for today will be 27 degrees with clear skies.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drilled and slotted rotors are not worth the money, drilled has been proven to be a waste of money on forumula cars, slotted helps, but is hardly necessary on preludes

and dust shields dont cool rotors more they hold heat (and dust) in....