Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Cams....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 06:35 AM
space cadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams....

I've got a 2000 type sh and am going to get new cams. i have done a search and have gotton nothing that helps. I am thinking of the Skunk 2 stage 2 but would love any personal experiances from you guys. what have you used, heard. which is the best for quality and gains. i am thinking of going FI later on, but most likely not for another year or so if that makes a differance.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Cams.... (shakes)

i have not yet had the personal plesure........(My motor is being rebuilt)when it is finished it will have crower stage 3's ...the guy thats putting them in has a b20 with the stage 3's he loved them(with the stage 3' youl need the requiered valve springs)there too big for turbo so he put his stocks back in but before he got his turbo he drove without them he said it sucked .....the cams made a big diffrenc
Old 01-02-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Cams.... (KiDwItHaReDlUdE98)

Look this up in previous posts, there are MANY!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking of going FI later on, but most likely not for another year or so if that makes a differance.

Thanks
what all have you done to your car so far?

in order to get the most out power of your cams you're gonna have to get a lot of other stuff. All that stuff will end up having to be sold once you go turbo, why not just save up your money and put it towards your turbo project? You'll lose money in the long run if you start going NA then switch to FI.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:06 PM
space cadet

Default Re: Cams.... (BlueShadow)

Flh22chic - read my origional post.... i did a search... i got nothing...

blue shadow - right now i have a thermal exhaust. in march i am going to put the car into the shop. i am getting intake, headers, cams, cam gears, high flow cat, pullies, and thinking about a VAFC.

if i go FI, then i will be rebuilding my engine completely.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:30 PM

you will need a bigger header and a more free flowing exhsaut to go with the cams because there is going ot be more back pressure. cam gears and a VAFC are also very useful when trying to get fullpotential out of your cams. to me, stage three is a little too much stage two is what i have wanted. the only reason you SHOULD get the valve springs and retainers is so you wont have floating valves and you will be able to rev higher than the stock. after you get a higher revving engine you should get an ECU or reprogram your factory ECU so it will let you rev higher becuase cams usually make the power in the higher rpms.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blue shadow - right now i have a thermal exhaust. in march i am going to put the car into the shop. i am getting intake, headers, cams, cam gears, high flow cat, pullies, and thinking about a VAFC.

When you go FI you will also have to get rid of all of that stuff, maybe even the cams. Probably the only thing you'll be able to keep and use are the cam gears and pullies, but everything else would have to go. (you can keep the VAFC if you plan on doing the hack).

Add up the cost of doing all the NA stuff you listed and tell me how much you would be spending. That's money that you can start saving for your turbo and engine build.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:05 PM
space cadet

Default Re: Cams.... (sslude)

you will need a bigger header and a more free flowing exhsaut to go with the cams because there is going ot be more back pressure. cam gears and a VAFC are also very useful when trying to get fullpotential out of your cams. to me, stage three is a little too much stage two is what i have wanted. the only reason you SHOULD get the valve springs and retainers is so you wont have floating valves and you will be able to rev higher than the stock. after you get a higher revving engine you should get an ECU or reprogram your factory ECU so it will let you rev higher becuase cams usually make the power in the higher rpms.
what is the reccommended header? i think the only choices that i have seen are dc which i hear often that they crack, airmass which i have heard nothing about, and kamakazie which i have heard nothing about. this is the only drawback to having an sh that i see, is the parts are more scarse. but anyways, what are some reccomendations on a header for my car with cams (i.e. skunk 2 stage 2)? and when it comes to pullies.... aem or UR, the only thing that i could say about it is you get what you pay for cause i have heard good about both.....
thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 04:10 PM
space cadet

When you go FI you will also have to get rid of all of that stuff, maybe even the cams. Probably the only thing you'll be able to keep and use are the cam gears and pullies, but everything else would have to go. (you can keep the VAFC if you plan on doing the hack).

Add up the cost of doing all the NA stuff you listed and tell me how much you would be spending. That's money that you can start saving for your turbo and engine build.
thanks shadow, its lookin like ot would set me back almost $2400 total if i had to replace the cams as well. but i think that going FI is just a pipe dream right now. i guess i better make a solid decision soon though. appreciate it.
Doug
Old 01-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks shadow, its lookin like ot would set me back almost $2400 total if i had to replace the cams as well. but i think that going FI is just a pipe dream right now. i guess i better make a solid decision soon though. appreciate it.
Doug
For another $600-$1100 you'd have yourself a proper turbo setup. Then while you are enjoying a low boost Lude, you can save up for your engine buildup which should cost you roughly $2000-$3000. (varies depending on if you do your own labor)

It's not so far off as it seems, the only thing about FI is you have to get eveything done at once. With NA you can do things in small steps, one-two mods at a time.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

act. for 2400 exactly 2k_teg was selling max-rev kits for h-series. it ended w/the begining opf this year, but there will be more sales, plus his normal prices are good too.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cams.... (fastludeh22)

act. for 2400 exactly 2k_teg was selling max-rev kits for h-series. it ended w/the begining opf this year, but there will be more sales, plus his normal prices are good too.
The Maxrev doesn't include fuel management, or any of the miscellaneous stuf My price guesstimate already accounted for that.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:51 AM

You could always get the turbo cams from Crower, which does not have much overlap.

BTW if you are going turbo, I do have a couple of items you maybe interested in.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 AM
space cadet

Doug

For another $600-$1100 you'd have yourself a proper turbo setup. Then while you are enjoying a low boost Lude, you can save up for your engine buildup which should cost you roughly $2000-$3000. (varies depending on if you do your own labor)

It's not so far off as it seems, the only thing about FI is you have to get eveything done at once. With NA you can do things in small steps, one-two mods at a time.
shadow - where are you getting the figures for this turbo with all of the fuel mgmt already... i would love to take a look at it. the thing is that i dont want to go FI half assed and be dissapointed because i can only run a couple of pounds of boost for almost a year. well more like 8 months, but still. what will i be running at with that, 6 psi? and on that note, then wont i just be killing my engine. even though i will be doing a rebuild what kind of problems can i expect? i should probably be getting into the turbo post for all of this. thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shadow - where are you getting the figures for this turbo with all of the fuel mgmt already... i would love to take a look at it. the thing is that i dont want to go FI half assed and be dissapointed because i can only run a couple of pounds of boost for almost a year. well more like 8 months, but still. what will i be running at with that, 6 psi? and on that note, then wont i just be killing my engine. even though i will be doing a rebuild what kind of problems can i expect? i should probably be getting into the turbo post for all of this. thanks for the info guys.

You could find a used FMAX or DRAG kit from somebody for $2000-$2300 (or buy the Maxrev new for $2300), and for another $1250 get an AEM EMS, and for another $80 some DSM 450cc injectors and resistors.