Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Big time problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

All night my launching and shifting was smooth, ive been using a stick for about a month. So I was driving and I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd then when I let the clutch out and gas'd my car bucked violently then the car made a pop sound and my 2nd gear went dead and when i gased again it just rev'd so I coasted in neutral to a stop. Checked my car.. seemed fine, I wanted to get home so I tried again and it took off perfectly. fast forward a an hour later, I was shifting from 1st to 2nd then got into 2nd gear then it once again made a clunk/pop sound and my 2nd gear became dead and all it did was gas as if it was in neutral. Turned off the car, tried again. every gear from 1-2-3-4-5-r does nothing as if every gear is neutral.. I push the clutch in and tried to get it to engage but it doesnt do **** as if the clutch doesnt even engage.

Im guessing my clutch basically is shattered?

The only thing I can think of is that my CV boot was about to fail and we was gonna replace it this weekend because when I turn it clicks/pops and when i decelerate or accelerate it makes a clunk sound.

Maybe my CV joint failed/popped out of place?

Modified by GraphiteMW at 5:49 PM 10/29/2006

Modified by GraphiteMW at 6:16 PM 10/29/2006
Old 10-29-2006, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Big time problems (GraphiteMW)

If it will go then drive it like a baby then pull the tranny and see what is up in the clutch area and let us know.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big time problems (Duane_in_Japan)

It won't drive, when I clutch in and put it into first and let the clutch out nothing happens, it doesn't grab.. it does that in all the gears.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: (GraphiteMW)

they cant impound your car for it being broken down on the side of the road.. and they cant charge you a fee for them having it towed.. they should have given you ample time to get it moved
Old 10-29-2006, 02:03 PM

you should get AAA membership.
they hook you up.
free gas if you're.
towing if you need. 3 times a year.
nd all that good stuff.
saved me a butt load of pain last year when my car broke down.

ouch good luck with the car man.
scary shiz havin' your clutch go out while drivin'
Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_BB6)

Yeah it scared the **** out of me, right now its at my local shop parking lot sitting there till the morning so i can tell them about it.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea AAA gold is the way to go. Free gas if you run out and free tows all year up to a hundred miles. Now to your problem. Why you shifting from 3rd to 2nd is beyond me. Unless you were racing which it dosen't sound like it or maybe you were trying to be a stunna and match rev while slowing down which unless your good at it or not coming to a complete stop is a waste of your clutch. Anyway the book says if your rpms fly while you gas it and your car goes no where then your clutch is dead. If your strapped for cash go on ebay and get a excedy replacement.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I gotta say is this sucks, my home coming is this weekend so i'm hoping the shop gets my car out before the end of the week. Yeah I think I need to get AAA because that was a shitty moment because it was hard as hell finding a ride 3am in the morning.

I was going from downshifting from 3rd to 2nd because I was slowing down to hit a corner that was coming up. and no i wasn't racing.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:30 PM

did you drop it from 3rd to 2nd?
poor clutch.
hc now?
dengg.. you guys are late.
our's was a month ago.
haha.
good luck bro.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah most schools locally already had their homecoming.

All I did was downshift from 3rd to 2nd because the rpm's was running low and I was slowing down. then I got into 2nd then released the clutch slowly like I always do then tried to continue driving then all of a sudden the car bucked voilently and almost lost control and it sounded like something really fucked up under my car.. for a second I thought my transmission fell out of under my car.. thats what it felt like.. i got scared and coasted in neutral to a stop on the side of the road.. sat there for a little bit checked everything then started it back up and it launched perfectly like nothing was wrong so i continued my drive to where i was going.. then when i was leaving i was driving in 1st then shifted to 2nd then i went down the road and CLUNK. it sounded like something went out and that was the end of my night.. shifting 1-2-3-4-5-R = nothing, no catch point at all of the clutch all it does is gas like i am in neutral.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Why must all your responses be in the form of a Haiku. That's really hard to read.

Anyway...yeap. Like the guy said...a Exedy replacement will do just fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (ShinobiLude)

idno i find it easier to read.
that sounds very weird.
if you slipped it slowly while downshifting it shouldn't be a problem.
did you match revs?
cuz even if you slip it very slowly if the difference in rpms is high enough it's viable to eff up your tranny.
my friend dropped my clutch downshifting into first [ don't ask why he dropped it or downshifted to first]
and it totally destroyed the crackpulley.
this was the day after i bought it.
lesson learned.
even your bestfriends can eff you over.
oh well. he bought me an aem v2 for comp.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks, I just updated my first post explaining more.. hopefully I can get some ideas because my local shops are kinda sketchy and like to overcharge.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteMW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That sucks, I just updated my first post explaining more.. hopefully I can get some ideas because my local shops are kinda sketchy and like to overcharge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

them and about every other shop trying to make a living
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah high possibility that you blew one of the springs off the clutch then it failed completely, but as said before, get an oem exedy off ebay 110 bucks usually, then install it yourself, or have a shop do it for 3-400 in labor
Old 10-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snobordboi)

Yeah, i'll get word from the shop tommorrow.. if it is a blown clutch then I'll tell them to hold their horses and wait for me to order my own because I know they will probably get a clutch for 2x the price that I can get one myself..

So it's probably nothing to do with the CV joint? I might as well get that replace since its in the shop..I want everything done right the first time.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:26 PM

if you have the cash that is.
exedy
i know a good tech that'll save your money but you're in GA.. heh.
too bad.
lemme know if you ever move to the westcoast.
haha.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I need to get to know people around here, theres a guy down the street from me that works on a integra all the time.. just installed new coil overs and it looks nice. I shoulda asked him before I took it to the shop.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 PM

does the shifter feel really loose? check under the shifting cover and see if the cotter pin is stil intact ..that or the nut that holds the shifter onto the other rod...i thought my car was totally toast when i let my friend drive...but just turned out to be a stupid nut that came loose
Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondatunedbboy)

I had already checked that and it was all intact.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Re: transmission problems (GraphiteMW)

Yo dude, I'm on my 4th clutch in a year, and it ain't just my driving. The one before last had similar problems to yours in that I'd come up off the clutch, hit the revs n nothing would happen except my flywheel spinning freely. With that clutch I'd popped the rivets, don't know where they went but they were nowhere to be seen when the clutch came out ha ha, apart from that the clutch was fine, strange. To this day I don't know how it happened, would like to know what caused your problems to see if it can tell me more about mine.

I've just had a new clutch kit inc bearing, a new flywheel and a new slave cylinder fitted cos I'm sick of clutch problems, what else can cause a clutch to f**k up?? I wanna know so I can change it!

I bought my latest clutch kit and flywheel off ebay, the make is xtd which are really cheap and seem to be okay, plus I think they just use other brands parts, like maybe exedy, and stick their name on it. If you're changing the clutch you might wanna get a lighter flywheel.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problems (predledude)

Im glad to know someone else is having the same problem

Well my dad talked to the guys at the shop here is the low down

$200 for a new clutch
$400 for labors (WHAT THE expletive?)

$100 for a new cv joint
$100 for labor (.....)

im so pissed. this cost me about $800 in repairs.. there goes my headers and exhuast i was gonna get.

I'd have to say that my problem was I was running a super old clutch (supposedly the original clutch that came with the car) and a small mixture of my driving, but hey its not my fault.. how else am i gonna learn how to drive a stick.. im just glad that I know my clutch is gonna be brand new here and out.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: transmission problems (GraphiteMW)

labor sounds about right, standard rate is about 80 bucks an hour, and a clutch replacement equals about 6 hours in most books..so you're not doing bad on that end.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my dad didn't take it that seriously he laughed.. Because he felt that the clutch was gonna go out because it would slip on launches and from 1st to 2nd gear shifting.. He was like its part of owning a car.. on the other hand my mom was pissed and said i should of gotten a brand new car haha..

I guess the labor is right since my car just went into the shop today and its coming out fixed 10am tommorrow.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure it was the clutch...before you did all that you could have done a few more things to figure out what the problem was.....don't jump to conclusions so fast....clutches dont go out with a clunk...they start to slip worse and worse....

did the shifter feel like usual? like all the gears engaged like normal, with a little resistance then pop in

did the clutch pedal feel normal?

Quick Reply: Big time problems