Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Best air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best air intake

what is the best intake for me...everything is stock and i plan on getting apexi n1 full exhaust and dc headers also..What intake would work best with these
Old 02-13-2003, 04:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Best air intake (FalconMan)

Personally I'd go AEM CAI but everyone's got their own opinions and options.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:55 PM
space cadet

Default Re: Best air intake (Blu5GLude)

aem or injen. there have been hundreds of threads about this. do a search in the archived threads.

Doug
Old 02-13-2003, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Best air intake (shakes)

i know there have been many posts about intakes but i looked for the apexi and nothin doin.. is it a full intake tube or just the filter mounted on the cone that uses the stock piping? The only pic i've seen of it is just the front view of the filter w/ no tubing.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best air intake (FalconMan)

Aem
Old 02-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best air intake (Jago)

just say forget the filter and run an open throttle body! Oh, and might as well run open header too
Old 02-14-2003, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Best air intake (rjr162)

type s
Old 02-14-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Best air intake (-SevenFourThree-)

type-s, aftermarket filter only, or the new AEM v2 (if it ever comes out for the lude). personally i dont think its worth spending 200 on a CAI that only gives a few hp up top and takes a tiny bit of torque.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best air intake (sslude)

personally i dont think its worth spending 200 on a CAI that only gives a few hp up top and takes a tiny bit of torque.
To me, every little bit counts. The cai was my first performance mod, and though I may not have gained much solely from that, the way I think about it, a lot of the mods we do will see rewards more as a cumulative effect than anything else (for those of us that are boost deficient). You know, 3 hp here, 5 hp there, and so on. Down the line that 2, 3, 4 horses or whatever may be the difference-maker I need to save face at the track.

Besides, I got my AEM cai for about $140 on sale, can't remember where though. That ain't bad, considering what everything else costs. Think of it this way, though the gains aren't much, the horsepower per dollar ratio (let's say $140 for 4 hp=$35/1 hp gain) is less than half of what my dream boost package is going to cost (which is looking right now like about $80/hp (including engine management, injectors, gauges, plugs, etc, etc unto infinity it seems like).

So when it comes to shoveling cash into the ol' money pit, uhh I mean Lude, the cai is just a teaspoon.

edit: sp

[Modified by FinalFlash, 7:41 PM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Best air intake (FinalFlash)

I was going to get an AEM CAI for my car, but once I found out that you had to cut and/or bend the sheetmetal to get it to fit, I said NO WAY!

Yeah, it might be just a little bit, but if they had truly designed it properly... you would not have to change anything! Looking at the dyno graphs for the 5th gen lude on AEM's website, you can see that you give up almost as much torque as you gain in horsepower! SCREW THAT!

The one thing that every Honda motor needs is MORE TORQUE! Why would I install a performance part that would make my car a little more sluggish in everyday driving in return for just a little/or a lot (whichever...) more kick when I'm pushing the rpms to the stratosphere! I refuse to rob Peter to pay Paul!

In a perfect world, every performance part would give you gains in hp & torque across the entire rpm range. In reality, there are always trade-offs. I prefer to give up those extra few peak hp for better midrange and low-end grunt! That's why I prefer a 4-2-1 header over a 4-1 design!

I ordered the Type S intake because I've heard that it has better low-end and mid-range grunt, but it's about the same as stock when get in the higher rpms. I may be wrong, but I won't know until I get it and it's installed.

Yes, you can make up for the loss with other mods, but I look at each part's contribution or detriment to the whole. I would take a smaller positive contribution over any mod that had any kind of negative gain attached to it!

Strengthen your weaknesses, don't make them weaker! Flame if you want, but I'm just stating my preference.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best air intake (jji106)

No flames here dude, I like to hear opposing/differing opinions/viewpoints. My CAI fit pretty well. Ok, I had to trim a little metal and it still took a little squeezing to get it down into the hole, but it wasn't that much of a pain in the ***.

Yeah, in a perfect world all mods would give you the best of both worlds. But most don't, and I anticipated and accepted the negatives with the positives when I bought the AEM CAI. Maybe the V2 will help more than it'll hurt in those respective areas, it's said to have a design reminiscent of the Type S intake, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, they learned from their previous design mistakes.

Boost will strengthen my present weaknesses to some extent, sufficiently that I won't have any complaints in the torque department afterwards. Then what will matter to me is traction and the extra horses up top to pull away/ahead, now that I'll have the low-end not to get smoked off the line and have to play catch up from behind every time like now.

And yes, if I was not planning (hoping, praying) to be blown soon, I may have gone a different route.