Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Been a while, getting back into the Honda game?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been a while, getting back into the Honda game?

Hello everybody.

I had a 94' Prelude a couple years ago and loved it. Only reason I sold it is because I wanted more power (5.0 Mustang). Sold that because I wanted a 11-second street car. (AWD DSM) Which has been down for 4 months, and months prior to that. Now I've said screw cars, bought a sport bike and am parting out the performance parts and selling the Talon. I've been looking into Lincoln LS' and Nissan Maximas, but I was talking to a kid through a friend of mine and he has a 98' Prelude Type SH for sale. Here's some info on it.

*Facebook Messages*

1998 Honda Prelude SH. its a 5-spd with like 140k miles, clear title, im the second owner... its got some leakage under the hood, needs some o2 sensors, needs a ball joint and arm...just random things that i don't have enough money to fix. it does run though, i still drive it everyday which probably isn't the best thing, but oh well.

Nick Wilson
6:52pm Apr 8th
How much are you looking to get out of it?

Michael Bruer
10:29pm Apr 8th
here's everything thats wrong with it, to my knowledge:

power steering fluid leaks, transmission leaks oil, ATTS unit leaks oil, timing belt is leaking oil/ needs to be replaced, it will need a new clutch in the near future, ball joint/arm on front drivers side needs replacing, check engine light came on a few weeks ago and code read o2 sensor. haha, but other than that it's awesome!

its all stock except for Greddy Evo2 catback exhaust, and Eibach lowering springs.

im looking to get about 4000 out of it.

I went and test drove it tonight and I actually really liked it.

Has about 130k miles. Car is clean inside and out. Will need some touch up paint but the interior looks immaculate. He got it from the original owner and it looks like it's been taken care of pretty well. I looked up bluebook and found the car at private party in FAIR condition is at $5600, so I figure $4k is a STEAL.

I plan on doing all the labor myself. I've logged over 100 hours on my DSM with jobs ranging from everything. I figure it can't be much harder on a Honda. I'm planning on doing the timing belt, water pump, and all new gaskets/seals. Fix the suspension, it needs an alignment.. etc.

My biggest concern is this ATTS deal. The light is on and he said it's leaking from the ATTS unit? Doesn't make much sense, the kid doesn't seem like he knows a whole lot about cars.

Anyways, I'm going to put a deposit on it soon and draft a contract. I really, really want this car. Reliable, good looking, cheap, yet somewhat quick still. VTEC is pretty fun, but it doesn't even compare to 20+ pounds of boost.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Been a while, getting back into the Honda game? (94preludeguy)

$4k doesn't seem bad since you will be doing the work yourself and will save on labor. However, that seems like a lot of leakage. Probably just seals though. What was your impression when you looked under the hood. Did it look like anything was done shotty on it?

On a side note, how do you like the DSM? I have been wanting to get into the AWD/Turbo, or at least Turbo game, but I don't want to mess with a custom setup. I would like a WRX, but a DSM is more in my range.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Been a while, getting back into the Honda game? (Sampsonite987)

It didn't look too bad under the hood. Definitely needs to be cleaned up though.

As far as liking the DSM.. I liked it. But I wouldn't recomend one as a daily driver. Also, I'd pick up a 1G. Get a 92 or older, with the 6bolt motor and 4bolt rear-end combo. Also one without ABS might be easier to work with. They are fun cars and I love em to death, just not practical if you don't have a lot of money and it's your daily driver. I'm going to pick up a 1G in a year or so though depending how I'm doing for money.

Or if you're looking for nice looking and fast, look for a 97+ with motor/tranny issues and do the 6bolt swap and throw a TRE/SHEP tranny in.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Been a while, getting back into the Honda game? (94preludeguy)

Alright thanks. I'll have to do my research before I decide what to do. I know nothing about working on DSM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Been a while, getting back into the Honda game? (Sampsonite987)

yea the blue book value is $5,500. Thats with fair conditioning. your looking to spend about $500 or more to fix it... i dont know...it really depends on how the previous owner drove it... you can never know what can or might happen if you buy it. i bought my 93 lude with 13300 on it and it was in pretty good condition... in two months the tranny went out, then the downpipe cracked off, then my crank got warped.. so i would really think about it...
Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Been a while, getting back into the Honda game? (pkolaboy)

id say swap it and start her as a new born again. if this guy isnt your best friend, i'd work him down a bit. not to bust his *****, just that it is what it is and only the rich and the brave will take on the task of fixing it. just something to sleep on
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trust me I'll be full on inspecting this car before buying. I got shafted big time on my Talon, not going to let it happen again. He said I can check anything I want, as long as it's at my expense.

I know for a fact he won't budge from $4k. Hell he paid $5700, or so he says. I think I'm going to put a deposit on it next week. On the bright side, I finally for the axle out of the DSM and am ready to pull the motor and get that block to a machine shop.

I figure about a grand later, it'll be good as new. $5k for a car that books at $6500ish in great condition isn't bad IMO.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Default Re: (94preludeguy)

Get it just because its a 5th gen the fewest preludes ever made, and of course if its a clean title, I got mine base model out of a trade for a single cam civic, pretty good deal I LOVE MY LUDE I call her KIT. lol but back on topic the oil leaks must be seals and its a manual tranny thats a plus should be easy to swap stuff in and out, now sucks for me i got stuck with the stupid beta triptronic auto lol

GET IT MAN U wont regret it trust me
Old 04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I finally started tearing down the 4G63 and it looks like one of the rod bearings is completely toast. I'll need a new rod, hopefully the crank is okay still..

Bah. Hopefully I can get some cash to make the kid hold it. I think I'll end up pulling the whole motor and tranny and doing all the work then dropping it back in.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94preludeguy)

4g63....powerhouse but so unreliable. I went through a few of the ,also that crankwalk issue with them. Def not a daily driver. Such a high maintainance car. Also on that 5th gen how much longer do u expect it to last it has 130,000 miles on it. If you do buy it i would definately do the timing belt right away and get them leaks fixed. Also find out where that tranny is leaking from because that could be going soon.