Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Bad E-Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad E-Brake?

Just did my pads and rotors, I bought this tool for the back brakes to turn in the piston screw?? Anyways, I get it all back together, and now my e-brake just pulls all the way up and barely holds anything. It will not hold the car and any kind of incline. I checked to make sure that the like is connected to the main rear brake line and it is. Any reason the e-brake does not function? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Bad E-Brake? (Clydsdal)

try tightening the adjustment of the screws in the center console (right where the ebrake handle is). odds are they are out of adjustment and just need to be tightened. it's fairly simple, turn the screws (there are 2, 1 for each side) one way it loosens, another way it tightens.

if that doesn't do anything, something must have gone wrong during the brake job
Old 09-13-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Bad E-Brake? (kablamo)

Thanks, Ill give that a whirl and see what I come up with!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:05 AM

I also have this problem. but i didnt do my brakes. But i tightened up the screws and it just made my ebrake harder to pull but didnt do anything. My friends civic u just barely pull it up and the lock right up and his is easy as hell to pull up. could my back brakes be that bad?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Re: (92LudeSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92LudeSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have this problem. but i didnt do my brakes. But i tightened up the screws and it just made my ebrake harder to pull but didnt do anything. My friends civic u just barely pull it up and the lock right up and his is easy as hell to pull up. could my back brakes be that bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if you don't use the e-brake very often, it could be that the cables themselves are seized. you'd have to replace them. if the rear caliper is rusted, it could also be the pivot that is stuck in position.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:45 PM

Well, I took it to the local brake place and they said when I used this certain tool to turn the piston? It caused some kind of spring in the brakes to break so the e-brake wont work anymore. Says I need new calipers for them to work again. Sounds weird to me!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:08 PM

oh well mine works just not very well. I mean when im parked on a hill it works fine but it just doesnt Lock the back wheels up like it should. not too big of a deal but I was just wondering.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:56 PM

I used this square looking tool to turn in the piston so that the pads would fit, he said that when I did that it caused the spring or something inside to break and that spring has something to do with the e-brake. Does this sound familiar?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Re: (Clydsdal)

I recently replaced my brake pads. I too had to buy the square tool your talkin about. that tool made cranking the pistons back in no problem. My e brake was a little soft before, but didnt change. i find it hard to believe that using that tool broke a spring?? the piston is pressure driven, im not sure what spring they are talkin about... the only thing i could think of to adjust an e brake is what has been previously said with the screws in the center console. might want to get a second opinion from another shop...
Old 09-15-2003, 05:02 AM

Default Re: (Clydsdal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Clydsdal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I took it to the local brake place and they said when I used this certain tool to turn the piston? It caused some kind of spring in the brakes to break so the e-brake wont work anymore. Says I need new calipers for them to work again. Sounds weird to me!</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds weird to me too!
take it somewhere else...