Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Bad Alt or bad ground?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Alt or bad ground?

Ok I noiced something tonight while I was fiddling around on the laptop in the car.

When I turn on my headlights my car will stumble a tad and then idle normally but my sort term fuel trim will will change by positive 1% now when I turn on my JDM fogs(with yellow bulbs with the pigtails coming off) the short term fuel trim changes by +3%!

meaning when turn both these off(like driving around in the day time) my short term fuel will change by -4% this is excatly the amount my Long term fuel trim was after driving around today, it's not causing the car to go super lean or anything during cruise I just though you were always suppose to have 0% long term fuel trim on a tuned car, and the stumble is kinda annonying.

the JDM fogs are ground just like the write up thats all over the place states
the bulbs are grounded to the screw that is on the foglight itself that has the small indent that fits an eyehole perfectly

I redid all my engine grounds and add a few new ones so I dont think it's a grounding problem unless the bulbs need to be grounded to the chassis but they turn on fine meaning they are grounded right?

does this sound like an alternator problem, or should I reground the bulbs to the chassis, or is this normal and I'm just freaking out over nothing?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad Alt or bad ground? (DCxMagus)

wow I was way off on this problem but I got it fixed!

it was my fuel compensation settings!!

car still has that slight stumble when I turn on any lights or load the electrical system alot but the battery voltage stays at 13.5v and its only for a split second so I can live with that.

damn everytime I think I got a handle on this tuning thing, I learn how a different set of settings is messing with something, lucky I've been able to firgure it out through trial and error and I'm getting closer and closer to having the car run perfectly under ALL conditions!

tip for you guys, if you really want to truely understand EVERYTHING behind how your car gets fuel and spark, take your stock engine get a chipped ECU find the better part of 2 weeks and fiddle around with everything(make slight changes so you dont blow anything up and research before of course) it really pick up a ton on the inter workings of it all