Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

auto-manual daily driver= hp safety limit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto-manual daily driver= hp safety limit

how much power can you push from a h22a4 w/ auto tranny safely i am considering both na and turbo options also wonder if i can possibly beef up the tranny to cope with added power (this is for a 98 daily just want to refine abit and make the drive a little more fun) all advice welcome
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Re: auto-manual daily driver= hp safety limit (tuner935)

i would convert to stick but when you do that heel toe clutch dance through gridlock traffic everyday it gets a little old lol
Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're a puss if you can't drive a stick in traffic

Those auto trannies are bad enough on a stock car with failure. I wouldn't mess too much with the car while it's still on there or you'll end up stuck in said traffic someday.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Acidcrakker)

Acidcrakker Honda made the car with an automatic and vtec. It will hit vtec in the auto at the same RPM as it does in the Manual.

now for the OP

I had the SS auto in my Prelude and I was running the JRSC with an upgraded pulley (9psi) I ran the car like that for almost 3 years before I got carried away and made my custom, 17psi supercharger setup and had to switch to a 5spd so that I could go OBDI for tuning.

I would say that you can get away with between 8-10 psi of boost, around 220-235whp with the auto. Tuning will be the most difficult as you will have to go with a piggy back and not a stand alone ECU.

as far as upgrading the transmission you are very limited, some companies claim to make upgrades for the trans but there havent been very many success stories. The best thing that you could do would be an upgraded torque converter and a trans cooler. And baby the transmission.

-GK
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Acidcrakker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once again I have the question of why would you put a Vtec engine in an automatic?

When would you ever hit Vtec?

Unless you live in Germany and can do 110 mph on the autobon freeway daily its pointless.

You might as well throw a Vtec sticker on the car with some Red Neons and call it a day.

Get a 5 speed if you want a fast car get an automatic if you want to rice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you continually post like you have no clue. please do not continue.

op:
i have tried this route before. trying to hook up an automatic. Ended up having the transmission rebuilt twice and could never beat a 5 speed that was stock in a "real" race.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Acidcrakker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really?

I thought automatic trannies shift around 4k, no higher.

Unless the Preludes come with the trip tronics? </TD></TR></TABLE>

guess you thought wrong.

97+ is tiptronic.

regardless, all h22's can rev into the red.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Re: (geramy)

thanks that works for me, i was just looking to make it a little more responsive and fun on my daily commute i am not looking to race it out just yet, maybe with a little more mileage and and and an overhaul i might do something with it. i have loved the car from day 1 and it is fun to drive,but the aftermarket isnt very big on it so im sure if i built it the way i would want it to be i probbably would have to have a lot of parts fabbed or altered for my needs (modded parts for a modded prelude lol!) by the way i can drive a stick in traffic, i just dont like it in heavy traffic after being at work all day