Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Another JDM headlight installation, desperated for help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another JDM headlight installation, desperated for help!!!!!!

I got a 93 Prelude, and it is also my first car. Sadly, after using 5 hours on taking off the front bumper and the old USDM headlights, I found out the original USDM High/Low beam light bulbs don't fit into my new JDM headlight. Here is the thing, the original high beam light bulbs was too big to fit in, and the low beam light bulb was small enough to fit in, but the socket/connector was too small.

I was told by my friend who also own a prelude that I need to buy a new light bulb. However, his situation was the JDM headlights came with JDM light bulbs inside, but mine only has high beam. He told me he was only need a light bulbs because he has the original JDM light bulbs and connectors.

What should I do now, buy a HBB4 H4 low/high beam light bulbs? Do I need to buy connectors or do US here carry it? And do I need to cut wires if I got a new connector?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Another JDM headlight installation, desperated for help!!!!!! (Dongoesby)

Should have searched the prelude archives for 'jdm headlight'

Go look here and see if you can't figure out what you need
http://www.absoluteprelude.com....html
Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Another JDM headlight installation, desperated for help!!!!!! (Jagan'92)

oh yea, this is where I went and followed, However, it didn't say anything, and there are so many misleads within the article.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Another JDM headlight installation, desperated for help!!!!!! (Dongoesby)

yes u need h4 bulbs...and yes u will need to splice into wires....
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just need some generic way of hooking the two wires up to the bulbs...doesnt matter what harnesses you use....
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That link posted worked great for me, just make sure you have harnesses for the H4 bulbs. 9006 bulbs do not fit in the JDM headlights, should have did some research on them. I think any car that runs H4 harnesses may be used, mines came with the harnesses. I recall that Nissan Altimas from 93-97 are H4s, Good luck!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (herovueboi)

On JDM 4th gen headlights... H4 is low beam, H1 is high beam. Find any car that runs those, run over to your local junkyard, and grab a set. You can also find harnesses online for cheap, maybe $10 each at the most.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dongoesby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yea, this is where I went and followed, However, it didn't say anything, and there are so many misleads within the article.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell are you talking about? Under requirements:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by absoluteprelude.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">REQUIREMENTS:
- H4 and H1 wire harnesses (or make your own) </TD></TR></TABLE>

You need H4 and H1 harnesses. Period. Don't try to cram your 9006 bulbs in there, that's stupid. Read the article before you talk **** about it.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (xthephilx)

"talk **** about it"

that is my opinion okay, whatever you said maybe is for you. And yes, for a new car owner like me, I found there are stuffs that the articles didn't say. I agree it is a helpful articles. However, when I remove the front bumper, there are actually many screws that are still attached. Maybe is because i'm lack of skills, I broke my corner light when I remove it. I used 5 hours on just removing everything, yea.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 PM

Thanks for your replys guys. I tried to look for a H4 low beam lighg bulb today, it was 40 bux... I'm not sure for the harness thou, but still, thanks, I will try to look into it.

One stupid question: is a light bulb detachable? I pulled a H1 high beam light bulb into two pieces. I found out it just chipped in, and I can still put themselves back into one piece. Is it still working?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't remember H4 bulbs being that expensive, I hit up Walmart if I would need an H4 bulb. They I believe run about $10 at max over there.

For your second question, are you refering to pulling out the bulb from the harness and had wires hanging. If you could, take a picture and we'll try to help. Some people just can work better with pictures rather than explanations. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:28 AM

When I put my headlights in I bought the headlights and just pulled the bulb out of the plastic harness. Then you toss the bulb into the JDM socket. Its pretty simple. I am assuming that this is the problem you have run into. I would replace all the bulbs since it is such a pain to get those headlights off. There is a wiring diagram under the search for rewiring the head lights. Its really easy, just take your time.

Let us know how it goes.

-Ryan
Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: (JDMSloLude)

thanks again, but no, not pulling the bulb from the harness that had wires hanging. It just the bulb. I was stupid enough thinking I can swap just the H1 Bulb with the original high beam bulb, and so I don't have to buy harness for the high beam. However, I actually did put out the glass bulb just from itself socket (1 piece), but I cracked the other US original one since it is not dettachable.

My question is: is my H1 light bulb still working after I pulled the glass bulb out of the socket? Well, I put it back.

More about my lude. I left it unfixed in my garage. The front bumper is down on the floor, and screws are at aside, and battery has been pulled out by me. Crapz...... and there are few pieces of unknown screws when I pull out the front bumper too.... Hopefully, today I got my friend drive me to buy the harness and H4 + H1 light bulbs.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (JDMSloLude)

Hey, I just bought a pair of H4 bulbs... man... that is 45$, and I ordered a harness from Honda, which I will pick it up tomorrow. I guess I will have to cut wires and put it on? Anyone had experience on that? Does Duck-Tap works?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: (Dongoesby)

For electrical connections - solder and use electrical tape or crimps
Old 06-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jagan'92)

do u have to solder it i dont have an iron, and how much did the harness cost from honda
Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (CFran55)

Don't buy it from honda...just go to the junkyard. It's cheaper.

And don't solder it, just by butt connectors from radio shack and use those. That's what I used.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: (xthephilx)

I cant believe you went to honda for that. DAMN. I know dat was expensive. All you need to do is find (4) h4 harnesses in the junkyard or pick-n-pull. Once you find them cut them. There should be 3 wires attached to the harness. Then when you are splicing the wires you only need to use 2 of the wires; first plug the bulb into the harness, the bulb is 3 pronged..the prong that doesnt have a prong opposite to it will not need its wires spliced (hopefully that makes sense to you). The stock wiring provided for you 9005 and 9006 are only two wires for two prongs. A h4 bulb consist of 3 wires due to that it is a high beam and a low beam bulb. The extra prong is used for the transition of the low beam to the high beam; thats why Civics only have one bulb in their headlights aside from corner light and the Oh so great JDM city light. This set up basically makes the H4 ONLy for your low beam and your h1 for your high beam.