Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

advice on buying prelude

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on buying prelude

so the other day i was driving to my friends house when i came across this prelude sitting in this guys driveway. me and my buddy stopped to see if he was selling the car and he said yeah for like 800, its his sons and he needs to get rid of it. anyway the car is wrecked on the passenger side 1/4 panel and some of the door. Its a 93 si with a clean title. also the motor is blown, i would like to keep the block so i could build it up. other then the wreck and blown motor the car is in decent shape. i was wondering should i pick it up? i plan to offer him 5-600 insted. the interior looks really dirty. what would you do?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on buying prelude (bb4ninja)

also i was thinking of parting it out using what i need and sell the rest off to people who need the parts or take off whats wrong on mine and swap, then sell the shell
Old 06-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im a noob- but if u can get it for 5-600 it sounds good... u have about 200$ in scrap metal after u part out lol. depending on the damage to the rear qtr panel, it probably isnt "worth it" if its just cosmetic and u dont plan on fixing it then ur okay. if you plan on even bondo-ing it, itll be about 100$. theres shells out there that can be had for 500$ and h23's arent that expensive... and dirty interior.... well if u put in the work its not that bad.. when i got my 5th gen 2 weeks ago it had dirt and oil/grease everywhere.. even on like interior panels... but after like 2 hours w/ a hose vacuum cleaner and a lot of rubbing it FEELS clean. and i have one of those air fresheners now.

all in all it sounds decent... when u talk to him feel him out on his mechanic knowhow.. like throw a few JDMOEMWTFBBQKFC's in there and see if he knows what hes talking about.. if not.. just explain to him w/o lying that its not worth much since its a rolling shell w/ a broken motor..

oh and when i was talking to my guy (since its a project car and incomplete) he mentioned the value of all the work and effort and stuff he put in b4 he called it quits. i simply said, but the fact that its not ready to be driven doesnt appeal to most people. there are very few people (true honda enthusiasts IMO) that will rebuild a non-running car

good luck
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 AM

If you plan on buying it for a relatively long term project and building it up, 5-600 seems decent. Does he know what's wrong with the car? As stated earlier, try to get a read on whether or not he knows the car he's selling.

If you think you can talk him down on the price of the car, I tend to always look at how much money I'm going to have to/be willing to put into the car to at least get it running, and add that to the amount I think I'm going to be paying him. Then I'd go ahead and do my research and comp other 4th gens for sale..

If this amount is a lot more than the amount I could find a running 4th gen that needs less (but maybe still some) body work, then I'd save the money and buy an already running car. If you're looking for a long term project, though, and you're going to do an engine swap later anyways, then the blown engine doesn't affect you very much. (I'd say go for it if it's a long term project.. imho)

Chris