Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving.

I bought a 97 vtec, auto. back in May. I've had it inspected and scanned. The alternator and battery are fine as is the starter according to advanced auto parts test. The OBD II Codes read Solenoid B, and Trans System Malfunction. The guy says I should take it to a trans shop, but the mechanic at good year said 2months earlier I just saved my trans by having the transmission flushed. It had 97,000miles on her when I bought it, now it has 99,000. 2 previous owners, very good condition inside and out. Carfax showed no reports. I just had a transmission flush, oil change, coolant flush. Installed a K&N Air Filter. Bought Bosch+4 spark plugs, with nascar wire set. Havent installed those yet. I've purchased 2 multi rib belts-not installed ( serpatin,etc.). Also I bought just the timing belt. Do I need to buy the tensioner as well?not installed. My inspection revealed I needed two upper control arms-both fronts. A power steering flush, brake bleed/flush/refill, and engine dye test which I've had done, but there are no oil leaks in my garage. I had my alpine mp3 installed with 1200 watt sony xplod amp and a 12"ported diamond audio sub. I'll be driving 45 mph on local roads and the car will completely shut off. Could my stereo system be draining too much power from my battery and can I have a separate battery hooked up to my system let's say in the trunk? I'll turn off onto a side street, and sometimes the car wont start right away, other times, while driving and traffic behind me, I'll throw the car in neutral and sometimes it'll start back up so I dont have to pull over. I'm mystified as to what the problem is as are some people I've told this too. Any help will be great. Thanks Very Much, Dan.

Modified by Crazedrat1 at 8:23 AM 10/10/2006
Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 AM
MadCityLude

Default Re: 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving. (Crazedrat1)

Possibly your Main Relay? Not to sure.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving. (LudeFanatic)

Has the ignition switch recall been done? Mine used to shut off with out warning when the ignition switch was toast.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving. (Revi)

there was a recall on ignition switches? my car does this too occasionally and I was wondering what the problem was. Im driving down the road and the car shuts off, the transponder light flashes like I have just removed the key from the ignition, I was assuming it wasnt receiving the transponder signal because my key was worn out, so I switched to my valet key. The car cuts out with the brand new valet key also. The car starts right back up, and sometimes if I crank it, it starts for a split second and then dies. does anyone know if this sounds like the ignition switch?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving. (incubus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadCityLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Possibly your Main Relay? Not to sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>
dont think its your main relay thought that just prevented car from starting atleast mine went out about 3 years ago and thats all it did.......
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just call up Honda. Give em your VIN, and they'll check if its been done. If it hasnt, they'll do it for FREEE. Theres also a recall for the balljoints. Ive got a 97 too, and i got both for free.

CALL!!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ign switch recall...

get rid of those bosch plugs. they are garbage.
replace the plugs with NGK platinum plugs (I believe the 97s had platinum...double check with honda when you call them up..or even ask someone in parts for the number off the factory plugs...then buy those from someone that sells NGK the plugs from honda are crazy expensive)

the timing belt tensioner should be replaced on the H22...(the hydraulic tensioner...not the tensioner pulleys) replace the water pump and balance shaft belt at the same time.

a shift solenoid code...you're boned...trans needs to be replaced. check with the dealer on this one as well. I believe all the 97-01 preludes have the auto trans warranty extension.

use punctuation in your posts.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Prelude Shuts off Completely while driving. (Crazedrat1)

i have a 97 and a 00, my 97 did exactly what you described, 100,000 cars were recalled in 02 with bad ignition switches and another 486,659 in 2005. its a free replacement at any honda dealer, if that doesnt fix it, try a new key because that key does actually have a small chip in it and if that doesnt do it you might be in for some serious $$$