Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th gen Auto to Manual help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen Auto to Manual help

Hi I am new to this site and new to the Honda scene, but enough with that here is the question(s).

I bought a 98 lude base model h22a4 Auto sport shift auto, about 10 months ago from a dealer in washington. Car ran great up until a month or so ago, and most recently un-drivable. I noticed the tranny having some trouble going back into gear especially after getting off the freeway, and after exstensive research of this site and many other have come to find lude automatics, well SUCK. So instead of getting another another automatic I would like to put a 5 speed in.

So here is the question, I do not know what is compatible with that year/model ect. and would love some imput on what I can and can not put into that car. I found a wonderful how-to on once i find the 5 speed i need but that has been the hard thing to uncover. I am sorry if this comes off as a noob question, but are some of the say civic/accord/prelude 5speed compatible with my Automatic setup, ie. bolt configuration, mounts ect. Please if you know anything that could help me on my quest to converting let me know
Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (madman2067)

ALL H Series and F series transmissions will fit, they are interchangable. I bought my JDM H22 tranny with LSD for 750$. + the flywheel, clutch, pp, etc...
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (AndrePerras)

My 98 Base Auto is in the shop right now. My tranny went out and I got a quote for $2400 to rebuild. I laughed....So I did some research, decided to do the swap, ordered my parts and I am getting my car back this friday. I'm an organized guy so I made a parts list. The total for these parts, down to the shift **** was $1540.00 That is actually a great price because I got some of the parts from people here on Honda-Tech. The Shop (SRD in AZ) is charging me $820 to do the swap. ($2360 total) Less then a auto rebuild...gotta love honda. O'yea, this is also including the ECU conversion. GOing from OBD2 to OBD1.
Parts:

Shifter Assembly
Pedal Assembly
Shifter Cables
Forbidden Motorsports Short Shifter
M2B4 Transmission w/LSD w/ Starter
Exedy Honda Clutch Kit
Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder
OBD1 p13 STOCK ECU FOR GSR
ECU CONVERSION JUMPER HARNESS OBD2 - OBD1
EXEDY OEM FLYWHEEL - HONDA ACCORD / PRELUDE / CL
Intermediate Shaft
Shift boot
Shift ****

Optional parts I did not get:
5spd Gauge Cluster
Trans mounts-side
Clutch Dampener
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Reverse Switch
Shift linkage

Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (WRXnomore)

Does the year matter?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (madman2067)

Most of the parts on my list are from a 4th gen. And on a side not, the shop told me they had to order a few extea parts. Awaiting to find out what they are. I will let you know. Probably something on the list I previously marked optional....maybe I was wrong.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM

noticed you had down that you had a forbidden short shift i though that they didnt have one for the 5th gen? also did you have to drill into the firewall to mount the cltuch master cylinder? i will be doing the same swap just curious
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (Luda85)

My shifter assembly is from a 4th Gen. therefore the FMSS fits! (the pedal assembly is also from a 4th Gen.) I love how interchangable the preludes are. The Tranny is a 4th gen, but the CMC and the CSC I bought for a 5th gen. I believe the placement if dirfferent. As for drilling the firewall....not sure. I will let you know after I talk to the shop. This was to big a projuect for me so I'm letting an experienced shop do the work. But if you guys have more questions let me know. Not claiming to know everything but at least you can talk to someone who is really getting it done and not just talking about it.

Also, the parts list from below is correct. The parts I marked optional are in fact optional. The only parts I did not have was a bunch of bolts and bushings..$120 worth...lol
Let a shop order these for you, there is so many it would take a lot of searching to find every last one.

Late....
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM

I was thinking of doing that swap but, having issue with the ecu swap. What did the shop exactly do to the OBD2 Ecu, did they just swap in an OBD1 p13 with the harness and just started it up? Could I have their number so I could call them thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen Auto to Manual help (lrch26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lrch26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking of doing that swap but, having issue with the ecu swap. What did the shop exactly do to the OBD2 Ecu, did they just swap in an OBD1 p13 with the harness and just started it up? Could I have their number so I could call them thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a simple conversion you can do to your auto ECU to make it manual. http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin...anual