Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4ws error codes - What next??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (insane302cancan)

i "doubt" it's the whole abs computer... i'd start with the rear abs pickups, sometimes they get gunk over the pickup area, and then it fails to pickup - you could wipe it's sensor area clean, if you use a wire brush on the gear tooth so it can pickup on fresh metal, hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix.

do you have an abs light now though? or does that system otherwise show no probs?

I guess you have the helms but they want it spaced in the rear 0.02-0.04 in if you got a feeler gauge check that out too.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Altilude)

well the abs light comes on when i drive it for about a minute.. then it flashes a code 1. which is a pump overuse code.. i did the diagnostics which told me that the pump is working but the one way valves are stuck open.

i dont get why the computer works when the car is in a turning position then the battery is hooked up and the car is turned on.. but stops working when i touch the steering wheel.. its got to be the abs computer.. theres nothing else it could be..
Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (insane302cancan)

well sounds like you got a pretty good grasp in any case man... , start of this year though, I was throwin an abs code (unrelated to any 4ws probs mind you) ... ended up I had some grease from a cv boot that I replaced, up on the abs sensor... cleaned it up, as well as the gear pulser and the abs light went away.. cheap and easy...i'm just saying check the easy stuff before you try another computer!

seems like you are on the right track though, and i'm sure when you get your abs issues figured, your 4ws will be happy, as the code it's throwing seems to be an upset from what it's getting from your abs system.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re:4WS Error Codes

Hi,

I am a newbie here on the forum. I have a 5th Gen lude 2.2 vti 4ws.

I am sure you can help me.

I am having trouble understanding the 4ws codes can you tell me what they are please?

Please look http://www.abectest.co.uk/prelude4wserrorcode.mp4

Thanks a lot
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re:4WS Error Codes (shah2105)

hey shah, welcome to the forum

it appears you have 3 codes...

a number 33
a number 20
and a number 74

if they mean the same as they do on 4th's.. you have 2 problems, and one temporary driving condition.
code 33: is a problem with the rear R/L wheel speed - as in the posts just previous to this, it is affected by your ABS pickups/gear pulser or could be a connection problem from what your 4ws comp gets from the abs comp.
code 20: is a problem with the front main steering angle sensor which can be your main steering angle sensor, or your sub steering angle sensor, or the 4ws comp.

code 74 is the temporary driving condition, in which it appears your 4ws unit noticed you drove for 5 mins with the parking brake ON.

hope that atleast gets you started.

you got one of the rare 5th gen 4ws ones ... pretty cool. they were never released over here.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (AndyD)

Hi andy just wondering if you ever got a reply about the crank angle sensor on your prelude? I have similar problem and am totally stumped. Can u help?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (schlong1)

Thanks a lot altilude for the codes.

I will get started soon on at least code 33. clean the abs sensors and see if that clears that code.

As for code 20 I may have to take it to the stealers as last resort.

I will keep you guys posted on how I get on.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (shah2105)

Hi
I have a 5th gen car and get error 20 aswell, Can you advise if you ever got it sorted?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (rich201283)

Can anyone advise how to fix this as i have error 20 too ??????? the dealers want £80 just to dignose it.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Altilude)

hmmm, interesting.

I'm still 4ws error free for months now, I'm extatic. I love H-T, for real.

Thanks again to the person who came up with the soldering solution.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Re:my engine managment light keeps coming up with crank angle sensor fault

Engine management light comes on. Code for crank angle sensor. The sensor is in the dizzy but its not that cos ive had 4 dizzys now. Car just keeps breaking them. I think it may be a wiring fault .

Does anyone know where the problem lies?

Please help im driving my sisters fiesta !!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Re:my engine managment light keeps coming up with crank angle sensor fault (schlong1)

Does anyone know if the 4ws ecu from a 4thgen is the same as the 5thgen as i cant find a service manual with the 4ws in and want to do some diagnostics?? They only seem to have ATTS in.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM

thanks chaps ...for piccys and advice ..for fixing 4ws problems ...just a quick note ...was a little tricky NOT to solder the three top ones together..

lol the seat was hardest bit ......

cheers chucky
Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next??

my pictures had been down in this thread (page 3) due to an isp change, I just changed up their location, so the pics should show up again. I imagine they might still be helpful to some people

that's not really worth punting this back to the top... but I also noticed this thread isn't linked correctly in the stickies anymore... the link there goes to a "page not found"
so maybe a mod can rectify that.

cheers.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM
New User

i just followed the same procedure wstef suggested about fixing the 4ws light issue! and it worked... i have a 93 si4ws and the 4ws used to work most of the time like first thing in the morning when the engine was cool but if it sat out in the sun all day or if i turned it off and on a few different times it would go off and stay off... now it is working flawlessly... i'll say that this method will work for every 9 out of 10 cars with the same issue! thanks bro!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:00 AM
New User

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pervyperry)

Originally Posted by AndyD
I am getting the same error code on my car. After cleaning out the 4WS ECu with connection cleaner, making sure that all the ground wires were clean and making a good connection, testing the voltage going to the 4WS ECU, checking the fuses for the ECU, and resetting the 4WS ECU.

I am going to change the 4WS ECU and use one from a 93-94 4WS Prelude. I hope this fixes it.

This is the ONLY problem I ahve with my car too.

can u tell me how to reset 4ws ecu?? thks
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 AM
New User

Hello,

I have code 25 on my 5th gen prelude. I made a video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GzKzIv0A0

I have seen the troubleshooting for code 25 on Helms manual but it too difficult to follow. There are no illustrations for the instructions which doesn't help at all.

Can anyone help please?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hello everyone,
I got a 4gen prelude 4ws error code 24. does anyone know what code is this? need help please..my rear tire stuck in one depiction when my 4ws light went on.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/how-retrieve-cel-atts-abs-4ws-dtcs-2553408/#post38252637
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you Kronn 98sh for the link. that was very helpful...aloha.,,
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Trial User

Hello I'm from the Netherlands and I'm also having this problem with a 4th gen.

First I got a light every once in a while, then more often, then all the time after a few minutes, and finally after a few turns on the wheel after starting the engine, while hearing some strange sounds coming from under the car.

The 4ws computer is giving me a error code 63.

Today I pulled the computer and did the soldering trick, made all the solderings look nice, but after building back everything nothing has changed. Wheels don't move at all, after a few movements on the wheel the light goes on with the same code.

Now I'm really wondering what to look for next, anyone has any clue?

Something is giving me the feeling that the actuator itself is actually dead, is there any way to test that?

greets Roger
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and first of all i have to thank everyone for the useful help written before!

As for now i have reached to a point where i have only DTC 20 only. In my case it is the problem of the front sub steering angle sensor according to my measurings. Followed everything in the manual and Voi'la: Front sub sensor only transmitts 1.80 to 1.87 volts on turning wheel. Normally it should be 2.5 in center 2.0 in right and left 3.0 . Before i bought the car (4th gen) the owner said the whole steering mechanism have been changed, so this makes me think the mech f**** something vith the sub sensor. Anyone has an idea of fixing this problem, or just a single clue where to continue, becouse i think adjusting won't be enough to solve the voltage problem.
I have asked a lot of honda dealers and the price here in hungary is about 1000$ (U.S) for this sensor not to mention istallation and other so it would be good if someone would have an idea.

Thank u!

P.S: PANZERKNACKER. U shold download the service manual. But according to that u're problem is with the Power unit ( actuator). It's recalling page 17-71 in that where u have to check power functions on both 4ws unit and actuator as well. Most likely a 2 person job unless u have long long wires for the multimeter. If u want a link for manual Just let me know!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Trial User

Hey Tufa, thanks for the help. I have the service manual and tonight I did a last attempt in figuring out the problem. I did the stuff on page 71, measuring the connections of the power terminal on the control unit and actuator motor, but when I start the engine and leave it idling, I get around 14.5v on the yellow red and blue connections on the motor and around 6v on the black one. Also on the control unit I get power on all connections, also on the 4 pin connector yellow and blue both give me 14.5v.

Even though the manual leads to the conclusion of a faulty control unit, I'm really having the feeling the motor itself is fried, I would like to test it maybe by directly connecting a battery or something, but I have no clue how to do that, which terminal to connect it to.

I'm close to giving up, because if it's the motor, i'm probably not gonna be able to fix it, since it's hard to open with the strange bolts that it's locked with.

As for you, maybe you can find a sensor somewhere on ebay or similar site.

I also looked for 4WS parts but really hard to find.

Good luck everyone!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Panzer!

I was searching a few days ago for electronic schemes and found this site with the whole Lude wiring diagram: http://www.scribd.com/doc/306043/92-...iring-diagrams

Thought it may help you, finding the connections
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Trial User

I checked it, and I think in order to operate the motor, I will have to connect a power source to the red and black connectors on the motor. I'm not sure if I can connect a battery directly though maybe it will damage the motor, maybe I need a current regulator or something. I'm not sure what to do, anyone have a idea how to properly test the motor?

Quick Reply: 4ws error codes - What next??