Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4ws error codes - What next??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (93POSLUDE)

Mine is the same. As the temperature increases the cracks in the solder points become wider due to heat expansion, hence the 4ws doesn't work often in high temperatures. At least that's the only logical theory I can come up with. I guess once I try this re-soldering technique I'll know for sure!

Modified by d3vilishSi at 6:40 AM 7/18/2006
Old 07-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (d3vilishSi)

WOOHOO!! for the first time in months my 4ws light isn't on..
Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (93POSLUDE)

I was having the same problem, if I kill the car and restart it within about 15 min the 4ws light stays on. Let the car sit for more than 30 min and the 4ws light goes off. Getting a code 62. Resoldered the 4ws control unit last night and no problems so far! Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (wstef)

i jus bought a 92 4ws, soo far the car is great but the usuall 4ws light is on and im going to try your soldering idea, sounds good, im good with electronics so i shouldn't have a problem....wish me luck....

Is there anything interestin or problems i should be looking out for? im a car freak so i like it to be mint
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (AndyD)

i tried ur soldering idea, but it worked for about 5km, tried to resolder the 2nd time (i thought maybe didnt do it good enough)....but ye its not workin still, think i should just get a whole new ECU???
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Rulez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rulez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i tried ur soldering idea, but it worked for about 5km, tried to resolder the 2nd time (i thought maybe didnt do it good enough)....but ye its not workin still, think i should just get a whole new ECU???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you pulled the codes the 4ws control unit is giving you?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Do you guys think that the errorcodes for the 4th Gen are the same as for the 5th Gen?
I have with my 5th Gen Lude 2.2 a error code that says 21. Does anyone knows if the 4th gen and the 5th gen 4ws units are the same?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (johannez)

They should be... Although I've never seen a 5g 4ws car so I can't say for sure.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: (disabled)

Salut, je rencontre le même problème que beaucoup avec les 4WS sur ma Prélude 98. Il semblerait que tu aies la solution. Pourrais tu m'aider en me disant ce qu'il faut faire ?
jcardey26@aol.com
Merci
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pervyperry)

wstef: thanks for the info. Really useful, good write up, easy to follow, thanks man.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sean1121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sean1121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They should be... Although I've never seen a 5g 4ws car so I can't say for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...earch=

Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (Altilude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Altilude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...earch=

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very nice, I guess I should have said that I've never seen one in person. Although I believe the 4g and 5g 4ws systems are the same.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Not_Rice4ws)

whats up man, i seen a post u made bout the 4ws, n u said u could get a 4ws unit from the wreckers. we have none where i live... how much u thinkin n where do u live? i resolder my point n still dun work, im goin to honda to get my new crank angle sensor for free i dunno if u or sumone else posted it. but ye after that i dunno whats gonna happn...gimme a shout....pz
Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Rulez)

wstef rules! i got a 93 si and my CEL was on all summer long. not too long ago it went off when it got cold. i pulled the code and it was 62. tried calling the dealership and they wanted an arm and a leg to check it. then i came across this thread. i opened my 4ws cpu and saw 3 loose points. i went ahead and fixed it. wont know if it is fixed till the next summer (keeping my fingers crossed) but thanks wstef for this amazing post, he should win the Pulitzer for this!

hey Altitude, is that your mugen kit on your lude? if so nice!!!!!
willin to part with it?

Modified by h23siaws at 6:03 PM 11/18/2007

Modified by h23siaws at 6:04 PM 11/18/2007
Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pervyperry)

theres a relay type device with transistors that cause this problem
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Re: 4ws light comes on

hello, i have 92 honda prelude 2.3 4ws. i wanted to know every time i reset my car or reconnect my battery the rear wheel turn to the right side and as soon as i steer the wheel in any direction the operation fails and the wheel lock into a straight position. What can i do to fix this. Please.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws light comes on (alude23)

when it fails, the 4ws light should come on, without resetting pull that code.

and then report it here. then perhaps someone can help.

off the top of my head, sounds like for some reason your actuator motor is getting a signal that you are in a left turn (if the rear wheel turns right at a static stop), most likely due to a misaligned front angle sensor... but really i'm just guessing.

best of luck.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Re: 4ws light comes on (Altilude)

Hello,

Yes, so i pulled my 4WS unit and i checked the relay soldering and they were in perfect condition. i still resoldered them but the same thing keeps happening the wheels turn to the right and fail when the steering wheel is moved in any direction. Can you please tell me how i can check for the error code, and where i can check it. Also, i wanted to know where the rear and front accuators are located?.

Thank you so much for you help.
ahad hassan
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Re: (disabled)

Hey im getting code 7 long. thats all the honda dealership said. what does that mean?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfrisco92prelude)

since there is no code 7 for 4ws, i'll assume it's code 70, which means you turned the ignition from off to on, while driving... i've had that one before haha.

other weird 4ws codes are:

71: the car is driven aggressively with the driver and three passengers on board, or the steering wheel is turned with a rear wheel blocked by the curb, etc

73: the engine is started while quick charging the battery

74: Driving the car with the parking brake on.

I don't get 71, how the hell does it know there are 3 passengers on board? LOL, but this is from the helms page 17-37

just unplug your car battery for a few and reconnect it, and it should be cleared.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (wstef)

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd give it a shot.

As the heat of the summer has been increasing I noticed my 4ws more tempermental than normal. Every restart would have the 4ws disabled showing a code 62.

Came upon this thread and decided today to rip out my 4ws ecu. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. You do need to get at it from back seat and from the trunk though as there are bolts going in from both directions.

I opened her up exactly as instructed right to a tee. Both 5 pin relay's solder joints looked fine. No cracks at all. They were not shiny at all though. They were very dull looking actually. So I took my soldering iron touched them all up and added a bit more solder (enough to cover the whole metal circles in the board where the pins pop through, as the origional solder joints did not span out very much). Put it all back together tested it out. Restarted it 20 times, and it not once showed an error. It is mild out today only maybe 18 degrees. So hopefully even in the hot days it still maintains as it is a temperature related issue. My solder joints are pretty good though, so I don't think the heat expansion will cause any open circuits etc.

Anyways I just wanted to say thanks wstef. Cheers to you if your still on H-T
Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (mattsnooz)

yeah mattsnooz it works a treat... however I have re-done mine a couple times... this last time, however - I went a step further, and glued "very thin" rubber cushions at each ear of the 4ws mounting flanges... just to give the box a bit more absorbtion... I figure with the dropped suspension, and being so rigidly mounted it culminates at those relays all the time... plus I was sick of pulling it to sodder - it's been two months now... hopefully it lasts much longer.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Altilude)

ok, so i did the whole resoldering and it worked like a charm for the code 62 i got.. however, now i have a code 33 which is getting me all worked up..

i know the motor works because i disconnect the battery turn the steering wheel either to the left or right (fully left or right) then reconnect the battery, start the car up, and let it sit, then the rear wheels will turn either left or right.. no problem, but as soon as i touch the steering wheel with the car on, i get the code 33.

getting to be a pain.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (insane302cancan)

kind of an odd one...

problem code 33:
problem code 33 is memorized when the front wheels are turned at a speed of 30km/h for 2 minutes with the front wheels raised off the ground, and the rear wheels blocked. (parking brake must be off to test this code).

(the 4ws indicator light has been reported on. with the service check connector jumped code 33 is indicated)
start the engine
does the abs light stay on? (no - perform troubleshooting of the ABS system)
yes?
stop the engine then turn the ignition switch back on
rotate the rear left wheel slowly and check for voltage between the 4ws unit control no. 1 terminal (gry/red) and body ground, and between the no 3. terminal (gry/wht) and body ground.
does the voltage from both rear wheel sensors alternate from zero to aprox 5v?
yes - record the problem code and clear the 4ws control unit, test drive the car, if the problem code does not reappear, check the terminal connections of the 4ws control unit 18p connector and the abs control unit 14p connector
no?

blah blah blah....

hope that gets you started in the right direction.... sounds like a real wheel sensor for the ABS though, that the 4ws unit borrows it's signal from... i'd start by cleaning it's pickup, and the toothed gear.... if you're a newb you prob can't IM me your email, but if you leave your email here i'll shoot you the 4ws pdf I got that from.

Modified by Altilude at 6:48 PM 8/12/2008
Old 08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Altilude)

yea, ive got that same manual.. i did everything it says.. it doesnt say anything about a wheel sensor switch though. i does however say that abs computer may be the cause.. i just picked up a new abs computer but for a non 4ws.. doh its missing two prongs on a connectors.. grrrrrrr

Quick Reply: 4ws error codes - What next??