Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords?

I cant decide between which car should I buy or which is much better to drive. I already drove both 4th gen Preludes and 5th gen Accords and they both are pretty good. I only have about 3500k to spend and most of the cd7 2dr Accords are overpriced but have a decent mpg (35+ varies though), but the 4th gen Prelude's seem to be cheaper and more uncommon than the Accords. Pros and cons for both? Which is easier to fix up in the engine? How much MPG do 4th gens usually get on freeway and local? Which car do you recommend?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (EvenStar)

do its all bout the gen 4 lude i own 2...thats all ima say
Old 11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had both of these cars. accords are a bit heavier, but it feels more comfortable and luxurious. preludes are sportier and faster (stock). parts for preludes are rarer than accords unless you got a 2dr accord. its pretty much preference. after owning both, i would rather have an accord.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 PM

4th gen lude all the way man

you didnt really specify what your looking for. if you wanna feel all luxurious and look like everyone else on the road, get an accord

if you want some fun and actually stand out { i know it sounds silly but trust me you dont really see a whole lot of 4th gen ludes out there i get compliments on my 92 alot and its nearly stock looking} get a prelude. accords came with crap engines {except for accord v6} and for what you willing to spend you could definitly get a nice clean Si model with a 5 speed. im not sure about a vtec they are usually a little more. and preludes were actually designed to be the "luxury" model at the time. they were the most expensive hondas at the time too i believe. plenty of aftermarket parts, imo much sleeker and sexier, and if you look most people on here have had like atleast 3 of them that shoudl tell you something.

get a lude join the dark side
Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Although in JDM land, I thought the ludes where more geared towards luxury...dsp, tv, blah blah blah....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (Charliegrs)

i also went from 5th gen accord EX (4 door auto) - 4th gen prelude SE (2 door 5 speed)

Accord: big, heavy, more "luxurious", more family oriented, that was all show and no go.

Prelude: smaller, still heavy , lower, faster, a LOTT sportier, handles like its job, a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT rarer!!!!

my nieghbor was selling (my) prelude that was the same year as my accord (same color too, hehehe), but with half the miles, was 2 door 5 speed, leather..... i haven't regretted it one bit
Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (esedulerp5tenin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EvenStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant decide between which car should I buy or which is much better to drive. I already drove both 4th gen Preludes and 5th gen Accords and they both are pretty good. I only have about 3500k to spend and most of the cd7 2dr Accords are overpriced but have a decent mpg (35+ varies though), but the 4th gen Prelude's seem to be cheaper and more uncommon than the Accords. Pros and cons for both? Which is easier to fix up in the engine? How much MPG do 4th gens usually get on freeway and local? Which car do you recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

come on your asking this question on a prelude forum, of course everyone is gonna say to get the prelude my self included
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4 door Accord FTW!! I think there lighter than the 2 door Accords anyway. Plus throw a built H22 in it and skunk ludes all day, thats what I do

But like they all said its up to you whether you want comfort or sport? My accord is lowered with nice coilovers and I think it's still more comfy than any lude ive taken a ride in. IMO
Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ex95cord)

even tho there wasn't ANY accord on the road that looked even close to mine, the appeal of it kinda wore off when every other car i saw was a champagne 4door 5th gen, w/ a 60 year old lady behind the wheel

a 4th gen 'lude on the other hand..... dont see ANY of them
Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 AM

Default Re: (Maharajamd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maharajamd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Although in JDM land, I thought the ludes where more geared towards luxury...dsp, tv, blah blah blah....</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true, but I think more so about the 5th gens.

When the 4th gens were released in Japan the Type-R legend was yet to be born.

My vote is for a 4th gen. Drive one while you can still pull off the look. And then when you are 60 maybe think about buying an Accord
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Re: (redtop22)

^ haha I so agree....

IMO, the only thing sexier then a 4th gen with black jdms is a jdm type-r teg...

I will probably buy an accord in the future, but I have to have kids first
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (97 Sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97 Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

come on your asking this question on a prelude forum, of course everyone is gonna say to get the prelude my self included</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
tuned_vtec

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (esedulerp5tenin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esedulerp5tenin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also went from 5th gen accord EX (4 door auto) - 4th gen prelude SE (2 door 5 speed)

Accord: big, heavy, more "luxurious", more family oriented, that was all show and no go.

Prelude: smaller, still heavy , lower, faster, a LOTT sportier, handles like its job, a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT rarer!!!!

my nieghbor was selling (my) prelude that was the same year as my accord (same color too, hehehe), but with half the miles, was 2 door 5 speed, leather..... i haven't regretted it one bit </TD></TR></TABLE>

Believe it or not, 4 cylinder Accords are actually lighter than Preludes, even the 4 door EX. I couldn't believe it.

Similarly equipped with the same F22, the Prelude S is about the same weight as an Accord EX. The Si and VTEC Preludes are about 100lbs heavier.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (tuned_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maharajamd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will probably buy an accord in the future, but I have to have kids first </TD></TR></TABLE>

When I have kids...My h22 is going into an accord...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: 4th gen Prelude or 5th gen Accords? (WhiteBB2)

^ x2 LOL! Hell by then I will have money, and it'll be time to graduate to a k20..
Old 11-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned both. I like both, too. If I were to do it over again today, I would've bought a 96-97 Accord EX coupe (black), and swapped an H22 into it. The main reason why I like the Accord a little more is because it has more room. I do like the fact that my Prelude is not as common, though.

Either one is a great choice, but overall, I would sya go for the Accord if you plan to keepit for a while and you like to haul more than one passenger around.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Re: (AndyD)

I own a 94 4 door Accord Lx and a 93 Prelude Si 4WS. I bought both cars around the same time except the Prelude needed a motor so I drove the Accord around for over a year before finishing the Prelude (hey I am a busy man). Toward the end of the year I loved the Accord so much that I was thinking about getting the Prelude done and just selling it and keep driving the Accord. That didnt last once the Prelude was done! I love my Prelude so much that I drove the Accord for the first time today in 3-4 weeks (and only because I had to park in a bad NJ neighborhood ha ha). The Accord is still a great car and I am hanging onto it because whenever I want to change something on the Prelude something has to drive me around. As far as the gas mileage is concerned, I stopped caring, I get maybe 2-3 mpgs less than the Accord but I have a hell of a lot more fun doing it. I never get asked to drive people places because no one wants to sit in the back seat and I really feel like I am in a special sports car when I drive it, not just an econobox with a manual trans. Ha ha i just noticed that my Accord didnt even make it into my signiture.