Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

3rd gen engine swap suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen engine swap suggestions?

I'm new to this site and I have a 91 prelude 2.0 SI. My third cylinder recently decided to die after 201k and I'm thinking about dropping a new engine in. I definitly do not want to replace the stock B20A5... I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what would be a good swap? I was thinking maybe a non-vtec integra engine or maybe civic engine (preferably a dohc engine). Price is definitly an issue. Also is there anywhere anyone can point me to that would detail the process of swaping a honda engine? Thanks.

Paul
Old 06-03-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 3rd gen engine swap suggestions? (Paulnsx)

I would recommend the b20a (jdm version of your engine) being as it is a VERY good engine and it fits right in. Go to http://www.nippon-motors.com and they run about $650 shipped with under 30k miles on them. Build it up, go turbo and it has been proven that they are very fast.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: 3rd gen engine swap suggestions? (Paulnsx)

if price is an issue, you dont' have a choice but to go with a JDM B20. it's slightly more powerful than the USDM B20 (at 140hp).

no other engine swaps in easily, they'd all require thousands in parts and/or custom work.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, you're stuck with a b20. the jdm is an option.

if you were to do lots and lots of work and wanted to have a neat car, you may want to consider a b16. it's not plug and play and would be a pain in the ***, but in terms of the modern vtec engines, this one would probably be the best fit for your car, and if it ever worked, tons of fun.

good luck.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup, you're stuck with a b20. the jdm is an option.

if you were to do lots and lots of work and wanted to have a neat car, you may want to consider a b16. it's not plug and play and would be a pain in the ***, but in terms of the modern vtec engines, this one would probably be the best fit for your car, and if it ever worked, tons of fun.

good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

MMM I'd go h22 before i'd go b16 cuz they make mounts for the h-22 they don't fit that great but atleast you've got a good starting point and the only b series that was put into a prelude was never discussed the h-22 was well discussed and has a very nice very long how to.