Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

*Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

Got the bearings today and got everything measured and installed. Clearances checked out good and everything spins freely! What a relief to know all the work done to this block was worth it.

I just got the pistons installed back on the rods and am getting ready to get them dropped in
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rosko)

to you
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet Rosko!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (lude98SH)

get her done buddy

lets keep the other thing a secret for now
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98vtec)

Got the pistons in today finally, gf came over last night and distracted me

Tho the crank spun flawlessly yesterday, when I measured the crank endplay (thrust clearance) it had very little, maybe .002" I decided to pull the main caps off and check it out. #3 and #4 main caps are a little wider than the others and from the factory have a little clearance cut in them to clear the radius on the main journal of the crankshaft. Since I had the mains on this block bored out that clearance cut was bored away as well and it never occured to me that I needed to put it back but of course the sharp corner of the main cap was waaay too close to the radius on the crank main journal thus limiting the amount of end play that crank had. Got those two caps clearanced and reassembled and now has the correct amount of thrust clearance.

As I was putting the pistons in I noticed that the valve reliefs on piston #3 had some damage. I didnt think that and of them had hit but I must have overlooked because on this particular piston they scraped both reliefs on the exhaust side and one slightly on the intake side. Its very slight but being that I've expierienced dropping a valve before and destroying a motor I'm not going to take that chance. I have a brand new set of Ferrea valves on my shelf that I was saving for my turbo build but I think I'm going to go ahead and install them for some piece of mind. They might not be as good as the undercut Supertech valves I have in there but damn I don't want to have to worry about one breaking because it got bent.

So, off to switch out some valves!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 hea

Looking forward to seeing what times you run on the new setup. Goodluck with the rest of the build
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK9Rider)

Valves were all switched out and now I'm just degreeing the M24X cams and hoping to have the important stuff buttoned up tonight, then I plan to drop it in the car tomorrow or Thursday.

I've been snapping pics along the way, I'll get them posted one of these days.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (extralargenog)

rosko, did you have any issues w/ the small o-ring on the back side of the oil pump?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NAH2B)

Haha I did actually and I thought of you lol. I just hondabonded around it. I had an o-ring and it was huge and the bottom of the groove looked cast like it had never even been machined.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i figured you would run into this as well. i guess honda is slipping a little huh

this problem has been going on now for at least 3 or 4 years that i know of. i tried to use the correct oring which was infact too large and it just ended up squishing out of the groove while tightening down the pump. after that i started using a dremel to open up the groove a bit since i was unable to find the correct size oring,

btw, do you know what that oil galley goes to? if i remember correctly it feeds the rear balance shaft gearcase doesnt it? if so im sure it wouldnt be a big deal if it leaked if the balance shafts arent being run anyway.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (NAH2B)

you better send me a text the second you get some numbers
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and a buddy got the motor in last night but theres alot to finish up still. Had some HUGE issues with the SSR header and its definately going to have to be sent back for some rework. I don't know if was mistakenly made for and H2B or what but as it sits now the tail end of the header angles down so much that it nearly hits the ground, and the car is still on the car dollies so its still `3 inches off the ground. Its a damn beautiful header tho and it looks beautiful from the top, its just a shame that it doesnt fit. Hopefully I can get that fixed and back on before the season is up!

For now I'm going to be running a header that I fabbed up long ago. Its been laying in my scrap pile so I'm gonna have to clean it up a bit, its pretty crude but it will get the car going. I maybe even already posted a pic of it earlier in this thread but it was basically too big for the car back when I built it some 5 years ago but now it should work very decently to get me by.

I'm out of town over the weekend too so not much is going to get done for a few days but I would like to have the car at the dyno by next Friday. But theres a TON to do in the meantime. I'm trying to make race on Sunday but its gonna be cutting things close.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had some HUGE issues with the SSR header and its definately going to have to be sent back for some rework... Its a damn beautiful header tho and it looks beautiful from the top, its just a shame that it doesnt fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard a saying in our shop more often than I like to that "if you can't make it right, make it look good." I too had issues with the custom header for my K project. It also looks good. Pretty frustrating but I think we'll get it on the dyno Saturday morning with a little wire to hold it in place before it's sent back to the fabber for correction.

I hope you have good luck with the remaining project.

Pirate

Modified by PirateMcFred at 2:02 PM 9/18/2008
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shhhhh! thats top secret lol
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, edited post.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Header is going back tomorrow, Danny is gonna get'er fixed up SSR

Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor will be running tonight, just have to lash the valves and add all the fluids! If everything goes well and I can get out of work I'd like to hit up the dyno tomorrow though it should run well on the current tune. IF that goes as planned then I'll be racing the 1/8th mile tomorrow night and the 1/4 on Sunday
Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck on the tune. Tell work that you have to run an errand and then bail. Nothing wrong with a little hookey from work now and again. Is this on E85 still? Any expectations?

I got the latest 2.3 liter build to the dyno:
*click me*
Wanna race?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great news. H23a crank and M24 cams?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good luck on the tune. Tell work that you have to run an errand and then bail. Nothing wrong with a little hookey from work now and again. Is this on E85 still? Any expectations?

I got the latest 2.3 liter build to the dyno:
*click me*
Wanna race? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very nice Pirate! I think you might have me beat on the power to weight ratio tho

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great news. H23a crank and M24 cams?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. The M24x cams are actually very close in comparison to the Pro2's I ran last year. I was a little disapointed with the lift numbers as they came in at a little less than the Pro2's but lift isnt everything so we will see how it does on the dyno.

This is pretty much the same motor I ran last year except for the cams and the header.

I did get the car running tonight with no problems other than my laptop, the thing wouldnt even boot up so I couldnt set the timing but the motor sounds very healthy. I will probably drag the desktop computer out there tomorrow to get the timing nailed down but without a laptop I won't be making it to the dyno tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice Pirate! I think you might have me beat on the power to weight ratio tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can set the limiter for 5000rpm... lol.

Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties. It's a struggle all the way huh?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick Reply: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header