Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Would like some info...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like some info...

This might be a long shot, but I was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience with a Kawasaki ZR-7?

If you have, I would really like to read about what you have to think.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would like some info... (Goullish)

I think falcon used to have one of those before he got the FJR.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Would like some info... (marmaladeboy)

Ok, thanks.

Falcon, you have PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

yes my first bike was a zr-7s.

i dont have the pictures up but i am sure you know what it looks like. a zr-7 is the naked version. probably blue right? and a 99 or 2000 model?

i would say its a great first bike if you can get a good deal on it. i had mine for 2 years. very stable and forgiving. good first bike unless you're tiny then i'd recommend a ninja 250 / 500 to start with. its also popular with experienced riders looking for a cheap reliable commuter. when my work commute changed to lots and lots of highway, i decided to upgrade to a full-fairing sport tourer. i am big and heavy and i wanted something more comfortable for my size. i was overtaxing the stock suspension on the ZR-7. smaller riders than i am claim to ride it all day long comfortably with some slight mods, like bar end weights to damp vibration etc.

tell us more why you're curious about it. basically i'd buy it if it was a good deal, if i didnt have a bike already. i got a great deal on mine, which is why i sprung for it. dont regret it at all.

a lot of older guys bought them to get back into motorcycling after not riding when they settled down had kids etc. the engine/suspension is old school and low tech, which they found familiar, but these are all good things for a low maintenance / begginer / commuter ride. a lot of people will say dont bother with it but it has its niche and its popular within its following.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Would like some info... (falcongsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes my first bike was a zr-7s.

i dont have the pictures up but i am sure you know what it looks like. a zr-7 is the naked version. probably blue right? and a 99 or 2000 model?

i would say its a great first bike if you can get a good deal on it. i had mine for 2 years. very stable and forgiving. good first bike unless you're tiny then i'd recommend a ninja 250 / 500 to start with.

tell us more why you're curious about it. basically i'd buy it if it was a good deal, if i didnt have a bike already. i got a great deal on mine, which is why i sprung for it. dont regret it at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's the naked blue version. Year 2000.

I'm not really a small person, 6' (fairly lightwieght though), and I've been on bikes of the equivilant size and had no problems, so I'm not worried about that.

I've been looking for my own street bike for a while now, but I don't really feel safe investing too much money into one, for finacial security reasons. I've been looking for basically anything I could find for the longest time, and it's just been a complete pain in the ***. While I would get one for the right price, I don't want a 250 simply because I want to keep my first bike for a while. I don't want to ride a season (which here also happens to be a full year) and then feel the need to move up. I've ridden a lot of dirt in the last 6 years, so I feel competant enough to move up to a mild "big" bike.

This particular bike I think is absolutely beautiful. 6700 miles, never downed/dropped/anything, excellent care given, and good number of add ons. He is asking $2800 (I haven't made my own offer just yet). Judging by the pictures (below) I feel that this is a good price. I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about them, and now that I've mentioned the price, do you feel that that "general" price range is a fair one?

Sorry that they are fairly large...

Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
What is this crap?

that guy has GOT to be on http://www.riderforums.com thats the original zr-7 forum.

that is a very nice specimen with lots of little upgrades. nice seat! upgraded bars! Micron pipe! braided steel brake lines! rear tire hugger!

if could get that bike for $2500 i'd be tickled pink.

any damage? the engine is pretty solid. if its been beaten/not broken in, it will have excess oil consumption, but if its not smoking then its fine. air cooled engines are built to a looser spec than liquid cooled, so it will consume some oil on longer rides. this is normal.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Would like some info... (falcongsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that guy has GOT to be on http://www.riderforums.com thats the original zr-7 forum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo! That's where I found it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any damage? the engine is pretty solid. if its been beaten/not broken in, it will have excess oil consumption, but if its not smoking then its fine. air cooled engines are built to a looser spec than liquid cooled, so it will consume some oil on longer rides. this is normal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I asked him for some more information just a little while ago (via email), but from his original ad he says it's never been abused at all, it was his wife's bike, and from the care he appears to have given the outside, I would expect the same for the insides.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if could get that bike for $2500 i'd be tickled pink.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be too, I really do love the look of this bike. (and that's coming from someone who cares very little about the look of a bike) Plus, it looks like a lot of fun with the functionality I'll require (a bike will relegate the "cage" to rain duty only), and it's within my price range.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
What is this crap?

good luck man! i hope you get it!

i probably have my service manual laying around here somewhere...but the S has a different instrument cluster etc