Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

why y'all need to wear gear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why y'all need to wear gear.

not to sound like everyone's nagging girl, but thought this might be appropriate.

My boyfriend just wrecked his '04 yamaha r1. He has been riding for a long time, races for sick people in WERA and CCS ( I think those are the ones), and is one of those people that never leaves the house without atleast the Joe Rocket mesh jacket I got him, jeans, boots, gloves and a helmet.

He made a careless error riding with friends on the 4th. He just grabbed some bowling shoes that he loves to wear instead of hos boots, but wore all of the rest.

well... ol' dumbass was doin' a wheelie (a standup) and lost his footing shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and hit the ground going way fast... he doesn't know how fast, but knows it was right when he shifted.

Hit the ground and slid on the pavment the whole time... tumbled some... and managed to slide *** first over one of the yellow reflectors in the middle of the road.

He has now gone through 3 skin graft surgeries, a lot of down time, and might have to have another... we are hoping not. He never broke any bones, and walked off of the road himself. He will be badly scarred for life and will need some physical therapy now.

I am just using this as a way of telling all of y'all that you never know what might happen... yes, his accident was because he was being an ***... but, it could just have easily been a deer or a woman in a volvo pulling out in front of him.

If he hadn't been wearing his gear, he might not be alive...

... all of you remember that when you ride.

Just wanted to tell you all that... don't want any of you gettin' hurt. It is scary to see someone you love go through that kinda thing.

ANyhow... ride safe and have fun out there.

(and yes... he is going to get another bike... aaahh!)

Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is he selling his bike for?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's a dangerous sport

thanks though
Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 AM

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (si_kitty)

Thanks for the concern I'm sure he learned his lesson. Bowling shoes + wheelies just don't mix. Shoot, I even hate wearing my skate shoes when riding, wtf was he thinking?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:37 AM

We're gonna need to see pics of the OP to full understand the weight of the situation.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:29 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're gonna need to see pics of the OP to full understand the weight of the situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sadly I agree with this. In order to confirm the validity and weight of the situation, it is required that the OP post pics.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're gonna need to see pics of the OP to full understand the weight of the situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can always count on you
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Trial User

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (sup gurl)

Thanks for reminding us to wear ALL of our gear EVERY time we ride.
I get funny looks from the Harley guys and the Icy Hott Stunnaz wearing t-shirts and flip-flops while I sit there sweating my ***** off at a stoplight covered head to toe in leather and armor. It's all fun and games till a rider goes down, right?

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for everyone involved.

PS - doing wheelies on the street is pretty irresponsible...glad he is ok though.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (miketegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miketegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for reminding us to wear ALL of our gear EVERY time we ride.
I get funny looks from the Harley guys and the Icy Hott Stunnaz wearing t-shirts and flip-flops while I sit there sweating my ***** off at a stoplight covered head to toe in leather and armor. It's all fun and games till a rider goes down, right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here, bro...lol I love it!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 AM
cthulward

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (PotatoePAPA)

isnt there a requirement in h-t TOS that basically says any female poster must provide pics in order to be allowed to post?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (emo_emu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emo_emu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt there a requirement in h-t TOS that basically says any female poster must provide pics in order to be allowed to post? </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sadly I agree with this. In order to confirm the validity and weight of the situation, it is required that the OP post pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you guys serious? Have a little ******* class

Glad to hear your boyfriend wasn't more seriously injured.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (Ross)

Yes we're serious.... duh.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you guys serious? Have a little ******* class

Glad to hear your boyfriend wasn't more seriously injured.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No we're not serious Ross. Do we have to be ALL the time like we wear ALL of our gear ALL the time?

I at least know of one situation where you shouldn't wear gear.

1. Loading a motorcycle up riding up the ramp onto the back of a truck.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (len)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No we're not serious Ross. Do we have to be ALL the time like we wear ALL of our gear ALL the time?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, no, but that's neither here nor there. I was just astonished that when someone comes in here and reports on an accident experienced by a loved one, that our first instinct is to leghump her. Even if it's a joke...it's still totally tasteless and disrespectful. She didn't have to say anything and if I were her I would be sorry that I had.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did the campaigning spill over into honda-tech already?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, no, but that's neither here nor there. I was just astonished that when someone comes in here and reports on an accident experienced by a loved one, that our first instinct is to leghump her. Even if it's a joke...it's still totally tasteless and disrespectful. She didn't have to say anything and if I were her I would be sorry that I had.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed Sir. My apologies.

I am a big advocate of wearing protection while riding, either on a motorcycle or off.

Perhaps the real moral of the story is:

"Why y'all shouldn't do <u>stupid things</u> on the street without gear."

Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 AM

You got caught up in the peer pressure and did something you shouldn't. You should be ashamed of yourself!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you guys serious? Have a little ******* class

Glad to hear your boyfriend wasn't more seriously injured.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, no, but that's neither here nor there. I was just astonished that when someone comes in here and reports on an accident experienced by a loved one, that our first instinct is to leghump her. Even if it's a joke...it's still totally tasteless and disrespectful. She didn't have to say anything and if I were her I would be sorry that I had.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like Ross' angle. Good cop - Bad cop.
But seriously, skin grafts gotta suck BIG time. Glad he's relatively ok tho.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Oracle of GDD

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed Sir. My apologies.

I am a big advocate of wearing protection while riding, either on a motorcycle or off.

Perhaps the real moral of the story is:

"Why y'all shouldn't do <u>stupid things</u> on the street without gear."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Much more gentlemanly

And x2 on the skin grafts...I think I'd rather break a bone or two.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:38 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of bike do you have si_kitty?

Some odd reason your screen name rings a bell.

Is this you?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where was the rash at? On his back because the JR mesh jacket rode up his back? Becuase it disintegrated? Or was it on his legs because he was wearing jeans?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of bike do you have si_kitty?

Some odd reason your screen name rings a bell.

Is this you? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Border line stalkerism?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (backlash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where was the rash at? On his back because the JR mesh jacket rode up his back? Becuase it disintegrated? Or was it on his legs because he was wearing jeans?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm curious as well. There was a kid that went down wearing his Joe Rocket mesh and it was not damaged...but the skin on his back still took a bad burn.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (Mr. PengUIN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. PengUIN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm curious as well. There was a kid that went down wearing his Joe Rocket mesh and it was not damaged...but the skin on his back still took a bad burn.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm guessing the jacket must have ridden up his back in this case. This is exactly why my JR jacket stays in the closet.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: why y'all need to wear gear. (backlash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm guessing the jacket must have ridden up his back in this case. This is exactly why my JR jacket stays in the closet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 It was my 1st bike jacket and yea I notice the mesh sucking on the back so it stays in my closet too.

Quick Reply: why y'all need to wear gear.