Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding?

hey all,

i'm interested in making my own motorcycle frame so I'm going to take a welding class this coming fall. there's two types of welding and I don't know which one is for welding aluminum and steel for making frames.

from what I could tell, it seems I should go the arc welding route but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure.

appreciate any advice.

TIA!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
rastropovitch

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (ladius)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (ladius)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey all,

i'm interested in making my own motorcycle frame so I'm going to take a welding class this coming fall. there's two types of welding and I don't know which one is for welding aluminum and steel for making frames.

from what I could tell, it seems I should go the arc welding route but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure.

appreciate any advice.

TIA!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should post in GDD.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (ScareyH22A)

weld this post to GDD with cut and paste
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey all,

appreciate any advice.

TIA!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone should try to give a real answer

People don't like your question because it's wayyyy off base. Neither of these would be a good option at all. You're going to want to learn TIG welding, and especially on aluminum TIG welding will be a difficult thing to learn. Most people TIG steel for years and still have trouble with aluminum. Myself included. In a welding class, you'll end up making things like picture frames, etc... Different frame entirely. Maybe you could put a picture of a bike in it though!

Also, it sounds like you have a lot more research to do before "building a motorcycle frame" Unless your plan was just to build a frame, and not the rest of the bike

Good Luck
Old 06-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (Nims)

If you want to make the frame out of steel you could probably get away with MIG welding... TIG is costly as all hell, but definitely the better option. ARC welding and Oxy are both pretty much worthless for this kind of work - they're like, used for brazing (not literally, but you know what I mean)
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM

thanks for the real answer.

the community college close to me offers two classes, one in oxy-acetylene and the other in inert gas.

i've seen way too many episodes of american chopper and biker build-off and basically, i want to make my own bike.

sorry to put some of you to sleep!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (ASteele2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ARC welding and Oxy are both pretty much worthless for this kind of work -</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oxy welds can be just as pretty as TIG welds. ARC and MIG not so much. You could easily build a nice steel frame with an oxy setup. You could even braze a frame...
Old 06-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should SERIOUSLY rethink what you are trying to do. Building any vehicle from the ground up is a major project that most people probably can't do.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nims &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Someone should try to give a real answer

People don't like your question because it's wayyyy off base. Neither of these would be a good option at all. You're going to want to learn TIG welding, and especially on aluminum TIG welding will be a difficult thing to learn. Most people TIG steel for years and still have trouble with aluminum. Myself included. In a welding class, you'll end up making things like picture frames, etc... Different frame entirely. Maybe you could put a picture of a bike in it though!

Also, it sounds like you have a lot more research to do before "building a motorcycle frame" Unless your plan was just to build a frame, and not the rest of the bike

Good Luck</TD></TR></TABLE>
For some reason I laughed pretty hard when i read this.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (TurboInteg95)

yeah, i know this is going to be serious. even if i completed it, would i want to ride the thing!

but it's one of those things i've just got to explore so I'm going to go ahead and take the welding class and learn as much as i can and i'll go from there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboInteg95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you should SERIOUSLY rethink what you are trying to do. Building any vehicle from the ground up is a major project that most people probably can't do. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM
rastropovitch

A better question is, "what do I need to weld a steel jig together in anticipation of attempting to make a frame of my own design" because your not making anything symetrical without a jig. frames don't just get welded together... you first have to decide what you want to do with the bike, then your going to have to decide what geometry will give you the best balance for your riding style given what you want to do with the bike. you also are going to need to know what engine and what suspension will be hung from the frame. these are basic... very basic, variables that will need to be quantified. there are many more after that. How about you just try and make a strut tower bar that does not have a hinge in the design first
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
rastropovitch

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (MSchu)

I'm sorry... make what ever the hell you want
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: for welding frames, what kind? oxy-acetylene or arc welding? (MSchu)

Take the inert. If you're lucky you'll get some TIG torch time.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A better question is, "what do I need to weld a steel jig together in anticipation of attempting to make a frame of my own design" because your not making anything symetrical without a jig. frames don't just get welded together... you first have to decide what you want to do with the bike, then your going to have to decide what geometry will give you the best balance for your riding style given what you want to do with the bike. you also are going to need to know what engine and what suspension will be hung from the frame. these are basic... very basic, variables that will need to be quantified. there are many more after that. How about you just try and make a strut tower bar that does not have a hinge in the design first </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the advice. I'm afraid i don't know what a strut tower bar is--what is it? basically, i don't know jack about welding! or making bikes for that matter.

that's why i want to take the class and learn as i go. i know my ultimate goal--a completely homemade sporting standard (original frame and engine). eventually i want to find someone who has made their own v-twin or v-four engine but in the mean time i want to mount a vtr1000 engine and utilize the swingarm pivot on the engine case. the forks i haven't decided yet and yes, geometry i haven't thought about either (i'll cross that bridge when I get to it).

yeah, i know i'm biting off more than i can chew and i might not get that far either. but i have a dream... and the dream is... an american-made gp bike and racing team. american-made frame, engine, compoenents. a compettive machine, not like proton kr, although i respect and laud mr. roberts' efforts completely.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, i know i'm biting off more than i can chew and i might not get that far either. but i have a dream... and the dream is... an american-made gp bike and racing team. american-made frame, engine, compoenents. a compettive machine, not like proton kr, although i respect and laud mr. roberts' efforts completely. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know when i forget to take off my disk lock, i rack my nuts real bad. at least that's my fault. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you're on your way