Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Trigger those pesky green lights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trigger those pesky green lights.

I used to have a GreenLightTrigger until it flew off somewhere. It didn't seem to work on some stubborn lights that I regularly stopped at but some were triggered beautifully. I miss it and thought, "Hey I should really look into gettin another one of them things." And I came across a recent topic somewhere and stumbled upon this. Thought maybe it might help and you guys would stopped looking like idiots trying to highbeam the signals at stop lights haha!

Follow the link for images of the different sensors http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger...ights

Originally Posted by wiki how to
How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights
If you or someone you know owns a motorcycle, a scooter or even a small car, you've probably noticed that it's easy to get stuck at traffic lights. An understanding of why it happens can reveal some methods that will help turn any red light to green. This will save time, gas and frustration by you not having you wait what seems like forever at a red light that has no ongoing traffic.[1]
[edit] Steps

1. Understand how "demand-actuated" traffic signals work. These are traffic lights that will only turn green when a vehicle is sensed, usually to allow the vehicle to cross a street or make a left turn. At problematic traffic lights, look for a loop of wire buried in the pavement of the road near the stop line. This is called an "inductive-loop traffic detector"[2] that works somewhat like a metal detector, sensing any conductive metal (aluminum, steel, titanium, etc.). Sometimes these sensors are improperly designed or adjusted, so they don't pick up on the presence of a smaller vehicle. These sensors do not detect the weight of a vehicle, but rather sense how much it disturbs an electromagnetic field. Once tripped, the signal will begin the light switching process using pre-programmed rules (within 30 seconds, usually less). "Bigger" or more noticable vehicles do not cause the light to turn quicker - your vehicle either trips the switch to begin the process or not. There are ways to make yourself more noticeable to prevent waiting indefinitely.
2. Observe the shape of the inductive loop and position your bicycle, scooter, or motorcycle accordingly. If you keep hitting a problematic traffic light on a daily basis, take the time to examine the area where you're stuck. Look for "sawcuts" or lines showing where the loop was inserted. There are three commonly seen shapes, and the way you position a two-wheeled vehicle over them can affect whether or not it gets detected. If you can't see the outline of the loop (such as if the road was repaved) try both techniques and see which one works.

Dipole loop - Put both wheels directly on one of the sawcuts at either the right or the left. If you're still not detected, lean slightly towards the center.
Quadrupole loop - Place both wheels on the center sawcut, which has two wires and is more sensitive. If the traffic light doesn't change, lean slightly towards one of the outer lines on either side.
Diagonal Quadrupole - Designed to sense two-wheeled vehicles more easily. If a two-wheeled vehicle isn't detected, the sensitivity of the loop might be too low in general.
3. Attach neodymium magnets to the vehicle. While there is significant debate[3][4] as to whether a magnet can be strong enough to alter the electromagnetic field which triggers the sensor, you may decide to give it a shot. You can buy a commercial magnet or make your own.

* If you do make your own magnet trigger, be very careful when handling them as they're very strong. Wear eye protection when handling them because they're very brittle, and if they slam together or against any other surface, a piece of magnet can easily get into your eye.[5] Protect the magnet before exposing it to the elements (e.g. put it in a chrome plated pill holder with a rubber ring). Never bring these magnets close to anyone with a pacemaker (the strong magnetic field can interfere with its operation), children (who can get their fingers pinched between two magnets, ingest one, or get a shard in their eye), floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, cassette tapes, video tapes, televisions, VCRs, computer monitors, or any other electronic appliances.[5]
Attach the magnet case to the bottom of the vehicle with epoxy paste or screws. Where you place it on a car will depend on what kind of loop you tend to come across. If you want to cover all the bases, place magnets along the center and the sides (in line with the wheels). If you used epoxy paste, let it dry and check that the magnet is secure regularly--you don't want this magnet flying off of your car at 70 miles per hour on the highway.
* If you ride a two-wheeled vehicle, you can attach the magnet to your shoe with epoxy paste so that when you pull up to an intersection, you're able to spot the wire and put your shoe right over it with the magnet.[6]
Report the traffic light. If none of the above methods work, it's likely that the sensor is poorly adjusted or broken. Either way, the problem needs to be addressed. If you're in the United States, call 311 (a non-emergency help line).

[edit] Tips

* Putting your motorcycle or scooter's sidestand down directly on the induction loop sometimes will work. (On some motorcycles, putting the stand down while the motor is running will cause it to cut off as a safety feature)
* Local laws may permit you to cross an intersection after stopping if the traffic sensor does not recognize your presence. Check with your local authorities.
* Moving the vehicle back and forth and/or restarting an electric or motorcycle motor may affect the magnetic field enough to trigger the light.[4]
* Some traffic signals use video camera detectors instead. If you're on a two-wheeled vehicle, you can try turning to the side to increase your visible surface area. If this doesn't work or a car isn't being detected, report it to the appropriate department.
* A number of communities in the United States, including Bakersfield, California, Santa Cruz, California and Santa Clara County, California, have adopted policies to design and adjust all traffic signal sensors to detect bicycles.[7]
* There are electromagnets that you can buy to attach to the underside of motorcycles that were designed specifically to help trigger the sensors.

[edit] Warnings

* Not all cities have "demand-actuated" traffic signals. Do not expect this to work at all times.

[edit] Things You'll Need

* Neodymium magnets or a broken/unused hard disk (which contains neodymium magnets), pulling force of 6lbs each
* Roll of heavy duty exterior mounting tape
* Protective covering for the magnet(s)
Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trigger those pesky green lights. (ScareyH22A)

Damn...

I usually hit the starter in neutral a few times and it works. If it doesn't work, I'll wait for a while and hope for a car to come along to trigger it. If I feel it's too long, I just run it..

From what the MSF instructor told us, if the other light makes 3 revolutions, you can legally run it. True or false? I don't know..
Old 06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: Trigger those pesky green lights. (Gixx312)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gixx312 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
From what the MSF instructor told us, if the other light makes 3 revolutions, you can legally run it. True or false? I don't know.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If a cop cites you, it's your word against his. I usually look for traffic and just go straight and make a u turn somewhere.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trigger those pesky green lights. (ScareyH22A)

Yeah.. I know what you mean. I hate that whole "his word against yours'" because realistically, all the cop has to say is, "I've been an officer for 12 years... " enough said...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trigger those pesky green lights. (Gixx312)

South Carolina has the two minute law and North Carolina has the three minute law

If you have to wait longer than a specified time, then you are legally allowed to run the light if traffic is permitting.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM

You pull this off of digg? haha
Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I bent my Wookiee

I hate sitting at lights pushing my bike back and forth trying to find the right spot to trip the light ... Good post.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is one light that i have to sit at all the time and it will NOT change unless a car comes up and even then i usually have to get him to pull right up infront of or beside me or we're stuck there forever its really annoying im too afraid to run it in case a cop sees
Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (unusual71)

sometimes i'll hop off my bike run and hit the cross walk sign. hahaha
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxma22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxma22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> sometimes i'll hop off my bike run and hit the cross walk sign. hahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL thats funny..
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (crxma22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youradhere &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You pull this off of digg? haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quite possibly. Honestly I don't remember where I got linked from.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youradhere &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You pull this off of digg? haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's actually a pretty good idea lol.