Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Swapping tails

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping tails

I'm thinking bout picking up a 92 fzr 600 for my first bike and i really dont like the seat or the tail end of that bike. I was wondering if it was possible to get a seat similar to the R6 and how har it would be to swap it on? I am completely new to bikes so It will be a wonderful project....
Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you referring to something like this?

http://www.airtech-streamlinin....html
Old 02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping tails (jagged4698)

yzf nose, yzf metal tank, '02 r6 tail/under/lights, r6 seats, FZR sides ...

Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Swapping tails (bryan01)

Alright i really like that kit from airtech but is it possible to work the headlights from the r6 onto the front? I also like that silver bike how much did it cost you to do that?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jagged4698 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright i really like that kit from airtech but is it possible to work the headlights from the r6 onto the front?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure anything's possible given enough time or money. Sorry I'm not much help otherwise.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping tails (marmaladeboy)

that was a '92 fzr, my first bike ... i'd stick away from airtech if i were you, from what i've heard it's not the greatest fiberglass, doesnt fit well, and takes a lot of work to install. w/ the stock abs parts it's great quality, and the brackets arent that hard to make, a lot less of a headache than working w/ fiberglass and molding things to look right. ... like marmaladeboy says, w/ money anything's possible ... i could make my f4i look like my friends suzk if i wanted too ... all it takes is a new set of brackets ... mayeb some zippyties ... ...it cost about 500$ to do everything on that bike, of course i did all my own work and paint.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bryan01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that was a '92 fzr, my first bike ... i'd stick away from airtech if i were you, from what i've heard it's not the greatest fiberglass, doesnt fit well, and takes a lot of work to install. w/ the stock abs parts it's great quality, and the brackets arent that hard to make, a lot less of a headache than working w/ fiberglass and molding things to look right. ... like marmaladeboy says, w/ money anything's possible ... i could make my f4i look like my friends suzk if i wanted too ... all it takes is a new set of brackets ... mayeb some zippyties ... ...it cost about 500$ to do everything on that bike, of course i did all my own work and paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, that sounds like a lot of thought went into it. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you end up spending? Custom jobs are always nicer than store-bought.

I have to second what bryan01 says about AirTech stuff. It sometimes requires a bit of stretching or sanding to get the fit right. And you'll have to drill your own mounting points (but most aftermarket bodywork is like that).

Zip ties are a good idea, but don't leave out duct tape...!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm sure if this all goes through double sided duct tape, zip ties, and jbweld will become my best friends. I'll look into my options... maybe just lay it down on purpose and get some money to repair
Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jagged4698 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe just lay it down on purpose and get some money to repair </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah. Keep your stock plastics (if they're mint) so you can always go back if you feel like it.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said it wasnt a ton of $, just a ton of work.

i think i've posted this here before, but here's my room about a month before that picture above was taken:

i changed out the wireing harness, painted the frame black, rims black, fairngs gunmetal, all clear coated ... redid all the brackets, fitted everything, and put everything back together ... and i only had a handfull of bolts left over

ps i also had to do some plastic repair on the fairings, which were damaged when i started ... i got them cheap and fixed them up, another reason for the relatively low cost of the entire project...

and it's actually on duplicolor.com http://www.duplicolor.com/proj....html
Old 02-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bryan01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like i said it wasnt a ton of $, just a ton of work.
i changed out the wireing harness, painted the frame black, rims black, fairngs gunmetal, all clear coated ... redid all the brackets, fitted everything, and put everything back together ... and i only had a handfull of bolts left over </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you have room to sleep?

And if you've only a few bolts left over after a project like this, congrats!!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a bed in there somewhere
Old 02-22-2005, 09:52 PM

Damn nice job, that's tight.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: (Muffler Bearing)

Thats pretty interesting.... I aint about to make my room look like that to change the look of a bike though well maybe i'll start from the tail and then move on from there....