Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter bike?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/51109132.html

ok this will be my first bike so I am looking to start with something that if dropped I won't mind to much. I have worked on a lot of dirt bikes but this will be my first street bike.
That is an add and I am considering going down and looking at it. I can do most of the work myself. I don't care about it not being painted, don't really like colorful bikes any ways.
I just want to know your guys opinion and what questions to ask, I have done a lot of reading but I know that doesn't prepare you as much as picking a few of your guys brains.

thanks
JR
Old 01-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter bike? (renzema)

First thing does it have a clean title? Any accidents? Drops? Original parts? Is the battery good. Try to get a complete list of whats wrong with it. Not looking good if he just says it doesnt work. Check the fairings for checks and look for cracks in the frame. Hard to tell if the forks arent twisted or anything since you cant really test ride it. Bring a flash light. Also see if its still registered and how long its been paid for. Also see if the tires are any good or if thats one other thing you have to buy. You can check the brakes though. Check the other little things like a dmv test, horn, lights, signals.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if it runs and you are looking for a project, i would pick it up. but needing brakes and tires it may not see the road for awhile. if you dont want to put time into fixing it i would pass
Old 01-07-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: starter bike? (smokee)

ok it has a clean title, he says it runs but needs a tune up. Counting its winter here and there isn't much riding time, this time of year, I have a few months before I will have decent weather(well enough not to have to worry about ice). I does need new tires, so that is one consideration.
As a project bike is it a good choice, I love to work on bikes or anything for that matter. Get way to get to know your bike by pulling it a part.

thanks for the help, it will be much appreciated when I go to see the bike on sunday.

JR
Old 01-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, pick that baby up I love those bikes. Offer him 500 bucks I'll bet he takes it.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 AM
AIRBORNE

Default Re: starter bike? (theSYNDICATE)

same bike as me ... mine is just missing the fairings It's a great started bike ... it's pretty quick, decent power, etc. Also a GREAT project bike, as you can use alot of newer R6 and YZF600 pieces on it .. for mine, i bought 02 R6 seat/tail/tail lights/under tail/exhaust, 97 YZF600 tank and an 03 YZF600 front fairing/headlight/windscreen. All of this fits on with a little modification, but nothing too serious and it will look like a brand new bike.

Here are some links to info on the bike ..

http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr600/faqs/faqs.html (VERY informative)
http://heath.agdog.com/fzr/ (for the tail/tank conversion)

Another plus with this bike, there are TONS of parts on ebay for it ... everything you need to put together 500 FZR's.

In 89, the FZR won the AMA title .. then honda stepped up and made the F2 ... and that was the end of the FZR.

Another good thing, up to 1999, the bike was exactly the same other then color schemes (except in 91-92 where they went with a single headlight, and in 93 switched back to a dual setup, and a few things like wider rear rim, different brakes, and the delta box swingarm) ... meaning there will be alot of parts available, as i already said.

Also like i mentioned earlier, you can switch alot of parts on this bike ... like a YZF 600 swingarm and 17" rear rim, unlike the 18" it comes stock with.

Here's what mine looks like now, mine's just missing the side fairings ..

and after all the R6/YZF600 parts, minus the exhaust, it will look like this .. just a different color ..

Not bad for a nearly 16 year old bike, eh? Or if you like the stock old school look, it still looks pretty good and can tear some **** up!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: starter bike? (Odiedogcx)

Wow I really appreciate all the help.

I am going down today to check the bike out and will be offering $500 for it. If he doesn't take what would still keep it as a good deal.

Also hes says its never been wrecked(well anything serious), but I will comb over the frame to make sure of that.

That conversion really updates the bike, I wil have to keep that in mind.

thanks
JR

Modified by renzema at 10:55 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: starter bike? (Odiedogcx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Odiedogcx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and after all the R6/YZF600 parts, minus the exhaust, it will look like this .. just a different color ..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

man, that sure is one clean bike! how long and how much did it take for the conversions?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: starter bike? (CD7power)

i would trim that highlighted part down so it doesn't stick out as much. otherwise, it doesn't look too bad
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 AM

if you don't do the tune up yourself, just the tune up and tires will cost upwards of $400. so it'd be like you're paying $1,200 for that bike. then there's brakes and the other little things he mentioned. personally, i'd rather spend a little more and get something that's newer and looks better like a cbr f2 or f3. but then, if you can get him down to 600 and do the work yourself, i say go for it.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:01 AM

$800 is a steal
Old 01-10-2005, 12:26 AM
AIRBORNE

Default Re: starter bike? (DeLiRiOu5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeLiRiOu5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would trim that highlighted part down so it doesn't stick out as much. otherwise, it doesn't look too bad </TD></TR></TABLE>

i plan on doing something like that ... besides that, all the parts work so well it looks like it came like that from the factory
Old 01-10-2005, 09:45 AM

If I lived in Oregon I would buy that bike yesterday!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: starter bike? (Home Skillet)

Ogiedogcx - You have PM