Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Some questions about bikes regarding..engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about bikes regarding..engines

i couldnt find a gsxr forum so this is my last choice...i know most of the guys here can help me out and i know that im kinda in the wrong place since its "honda." but one of my co workers is selling a 1996 GSXR750 with about 37k miles. Is that too much miles for a bike since 1996. And i was wondering how much you guys would pay for one. I checked it out and it is pretty clean to me. and nice. thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some questions about bikes regarding..engines (VtecB17A)

used bikes are a completely different beast than used cars... not the engines from a mechanical standpoint, same basic operating principles and designs but the way there are used and more importantly abused. They are built to be higher strung leaning towards performance. You won't see stupid things like running 50weight "racing" motor oil for a 20 hp boost type treatment, rather most times it's general neglect. Regular maintenance will see the average street production sportbike well past 50k not considering collision damage or saltwater corrosion and the like. Chain lube is probably going to be the first maintenance forgotten/ignored followed by valve adjustment, oil changes, fork seals/oil, carb sync/clean, etc... Short of tearing apart the thing, it helps to know the previous owner and to look for signs of abuse. Rubber in the wells from burnouts, lots of stunter mods, broken body mount tabs... Also a test ride is a very good diagnostic tool. Get an experience rider friend to test ride it. Good luck. btw, I wouldn't bite unless it was a really REALLY good deal and I'm a mechanic. Gix750 is a beaut though. And remember you can tell a lot by the owner. Ask him some questions like how old (date/mileage) the tires are and whens the last time the fork oil was changed. Also w/ the mileage hen should have gone through at least 2 chains and possibly a clutch cable. Ask about that kind of stuff. Stay away from race prepped bikes.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions about bikes regarding..engines (VtecB17A)

might wanna check out www.gixxer.com
Old 01-14-2003, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Some questions about bikes regarding..engines (bunmango)

no mileage is fine....PM if you have any ?'s