Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Rearsets! (Good article and review on top brands)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearsets! (Good article and review on top brands)

Hope it helps some of you guys with your decisions

http://www.gixxerplanet.com/ho...=2879
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (Starscream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Starscream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hope it helps some of you guys with your decisions

http://www.gixxerplanet.com/ho...=2879 </TD></TR></TABLE> great find im still prob gonna get the new vortex for my whip
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (FF-Greg)

Great post. I didn't know there were so many manufacturers.. Good to know though.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

according to rc51.org the satos are the best ones you can get for that bike. hopefully i can make that purchase in the future. i want gooooooooollllllllldddd
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no issues with any of the different brands of rearsets i've owned or used, except vortex's whose medieval torture pegs have messed up my shins, and destroys boot soles.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (Starscream)

Good find.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (backlash)

I have Harris on my RC51 and think they're just OK. I've had to modify the brake side mounting bracket because it interferes with the brake master cylinder in all but the most aggressive positions (up and back).

I also don't like the fact that the brake and clutch side ankle guards do no match. If I were to make my own, they would look and feel the same.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (Jasper_db1)

I still have the stock ones on my RC LOL. Haven't really felt the need to replace them yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I still have the stock ones on my RC LOL. Haven't really felt the need to replace them yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill let you ride mine with the satos and you'll change your mind
Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (tmkpres)

sato ftw

Though in the future I may go with the woodcraft or vortex for the sake of replacement parts.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I bent my Wookiee

Call me dumb, but what does replacing these get you? Quicker shifts? Better feel? Bling?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toshiro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toshiro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call me dumb, but what does replacing these get you? Quicker shifts? Better feel? Bling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All three plus stability, durability, and bling.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (EngineNoO9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Though in the future I may go with the woodcraft or vortex for the sake of replacement parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was under the impression that replacement parts are incredibly easy to come by for satos?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I bent my Wookiee

Default Re: (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

All three plus stability, durability, and bling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock rearsets aren't stable or durable?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toshiro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call me dumb, but what does replacing these get you? Quicker shifts? Better feel? Bling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

-the foot rests will get you a rearset layout. Indeed some bikes come from the factory with rearsets but some do not.

In essence what you will gain is;
-a weight advantage in most cases
-Higher more rearward foot rest bias which gives you more corner clearance and better body positioning
-much more broad range of adjustable/the ability to customize your exact riding position
-GP shifting in some cases
-The ability to replace individual parts on the unit
- And... of course... Bling
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (AdeJong 03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdeJong 03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i was under the impression that replacement parts are incredibly easy to come by for satos?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of people have satos but I don't know a damn place that sells replacement parts... I'm sure I could figure something out. Vortex or Woodcraft I could get replacement pegs in a heartbeat regardless of where I am.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have vortex...they are easy to replace in a pinch...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (tmkpres)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tmkpres &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ill let you ride mine with the satos and you'll change your mind </TD></TR></TABLE>
Dope, haul your bike up to UT and we'll hit up Miller
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rearsets! (EngineNoO9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A lot of people have satos but I don't know a damn place that sells replacement parts... I'm sure I could figure something out. Vortex or Woodcraft I could get replacement pegs in a heartbeat regardless of where I am.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Local place to you or just in general? Not local but I assume you know about Dan Kyle.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

-the foot rests will get you a rearset layout. Indeed some bikes come from the factory with rearsets but some do not.

In essence what you will gain is;
-a weight advantage in most cases
-Higher more rearward foot rest bias which gives you more corner clearance and better body positioning
-much more broad range of adjustable/the ability to customize your exact riding position
-GP shifting in some cases
-The ability to replace individual parts on the unit
- And... of course... Bling</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's all about ground clearance for me.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toshiro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock rearsets aren't stable or durable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. Aftermarket rearsets are typically forged billet whereas stock components are usually cast aluminum.

While the stock ones may bend in a crash, they'll only bend once - you can never bend it back. IMHO, they just snap off.

The forged ones bend and can be bent back into place a couple of times before they fail.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Local place to you or just in general? Not local but I assume you know about Dan Kyle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew about him but Dan Kyle isnt at East Coast race days. still have to order them and I'm not getting spares for how much they cost. For a street bike the satos kick ***. Racing I'd say probably woodcraft for simplicity

Modified by EngineNoO9 at 3:28 PM 8/1/2008
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The forged ones bend and can be bent back into place a couple of times before they fail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The vortex shift lever on my SV is machined, but it sure isnt forged, or durable. It snapped as soon as I tried to bend it back after a small get off last year. They're rubbish and the pegs dont remove easily from the holder to replace the lever, I had to use my 12 ton press

I had woodcraft on my F4i, and they are far better. Over the winter I'm going to buy a set of those, and some spares for the SV.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Re: (.RJ)

What are the benefits of a GP shift setup for a street/road track bike?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Goullish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are the benefits of a GP shift setup for a street/road track bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't have to try and slip your foot under the shifter when leaned over to shift. Also I find it easier to stomp down really quick to shift then when under hard braking my foot is under the lever and I can pull up. It's all personal preference though.

Quick Reply: Rearsets! (Good article and review on top brands)