Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

new to riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to riding?

I started riding just over 4 years ago. At the time, I knew nothing about bikes other than the fact that they were fast and from what i had herd, "fun!" I made many phone calls and spent countless hours sifting through threads asking the regular noob questions. I was turned away several times after asking about sport bikes and stating that i hadn't taken the MSF course. Finally i settled for a 2003 KLX-400. Just after taking the MSF course.

I was 19 years old & didnt really want to take the class at all. I ended up using it as an excuse to my parents to make them worry less. To my friends, i said i was taking it to lower insurance costs (which wasn't far from the truth) That being said, i have yet to see an insurance company that offers a discount for MSF riders. (please let me know if you know of a company) After having only 3 months under my belt i had someone offer to trade me for a 99' 900RR with polished rims and a D&D pipe.

I couldn't resist! the bike was PERFECT! I was living in Big Bear, CA at the time which couldn't have been a better place. Over the next few months i got into "stunting" and going to bike nights a Zorba's in Riverside. I burnt my clutch (a few times) i practically destroyed my transmission all about the time i became a member at the motorcycle forum on HT. Aside from the stupidness of my 100+ mph wheelies, and flamingos down Big Bear blvd, the MSF course SAVED MY LIFE on numerous occasions and continues to do so to this day. I dont ride like i use to, ive found passing someone in a corner with my knee down is more fun then a wheelie will ever be.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Re: new to riding? (85)

Progressive and I believe Geico offer discounts for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. I believe all the major insurance companys offer a discount, sometimes its up to 15%.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:06 PM

What exactly is this thread about?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi!

Default Re: (CivicWagonRUS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exactly is this thread about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is now a rider.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Default Re: new to riding? (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Progressive and I believe Geico offer discounts for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. I believe all the major insurance companys offer a discount, sometimes its up to 15%.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Progressive does not. I have them.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Re: new to riding? (polishrifle)

85, I thought you had a 919 that you wanted to turbo or something along those lines?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishrifle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Progressive does not. I have them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have them, and they factored my MSF into my rate

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exactly is this thread about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was wondering the same thing
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to riding? (fatboy01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatboy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have them, and they factored my MSF into my rate

</TD></TR></TABLE>

They must have liked you, because they didn't give a **** when I had them
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Re: new to riding? (swappedcx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swappedcx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They must have liked you, because they didn't give a **** when I had them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, they have it. I've had progressive for 2 years and its been that way since I got them. Go to their website and get a quote, its right there above the coverages you pick. I know because I've gotten many quotes as I'm very indecisive about my next bike.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: new to riding? (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Trust me, they have it. I've had progressive for 2 years and its been that way since I got them. Go to their website and get a quote, its right there above the coverages you pick. I know because I've gotten many quotes as I'm very indecisive about my next bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Then I'm getting the shaft, I've had them for 2.5 years and no discount. Although I don't pay that much as it is. I'll have to give them a call.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 AM

i started with Progressive paying (80/month) and switch to State Farm. With SF I am paying 12/month for full ocverage. SF FTW!! Oh as for the MSF, I got a discount but it was substantial. Switching company made the difference.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MSF is an accredited DRIVING school.... thats all they need to know... send in the form with completion date and get the credits... its 10%+ off your car and bike insurance.

EVEN WITH PROGRESSIVE!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Willybeen)

whatever, I even specifically asked saying " I took the MSF class and have a card for it, do you guys give discounts" And his response is " we no longer do that". Any who, I could care less because I have (had) nationwide now and they were the cheapest yet for me.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi!

Default Re: (swappedcx)

I just did a Progressive quote and they wanted like $500 per month and an estimated of $6,000 for 12 months.

I know that tickets raise the policy higher but damn....this is from only one ticket.

It's not a speeding ticket nor is it manslaughter..it happened back in 2006.

(Not going into details.)
Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Numba1 B Series)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Numba1 B Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just did a Progressive quote and they wanted like $500 per month and an estimated of $6,000 for 12 months.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, that is insane. Are you 16, or making payments on a bike?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swappedcx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whatever, I even specifically asked saying " I took the MSF class and have a card for it, do you guys give discounts" And his response is " we no longer do that". Any who, I could care less because I have (had) nationwide now and they were the cheapest yet for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just called progressive to make sure my MSF discount was in effect, and they said yes it is. So not sure why they are jerking you around
Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi!

Default Re: (fatboy01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatboy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, that is insane. Are you 16, or making payments on a bike?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'm 22.

I even factored in the MSF course and endorsement.

What is your average payment monthly?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Numba1 B Series)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Numba1 B Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, I'm 22.

I even factored in the MSF course and endorsement.

What is your average payment monthly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

$109/mo for full coverage (collision, comprehensive, max limits) with $500 deductible. Without comprehensive I was paying $300 a year. The only times I have seen rates as high as yours were when my buddies were making payments on brand new bikes with no prior riding experience. What bikes are you getting quotes for? Hell my 929 was only 1600/yr for full coverage
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi!

Default Re: (fatboy01)

$109/mo for full coverage (collision, comprehensive, max limits) with $500 deductible. Without comprehensive I was paying $300 a year. The only times I have seen rates as high as yours were when my buddies were making payments on brand new bikes with no prior riding experience. What bikes are you getting quotes for? Hell my 929 was only 1600/yr for full coverage</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was quoting for the 2009 Honda CBR600RR.

I think I might have selected the best options there was...for the 'in case' scenarios.

But I have one prior ticket in the last 3 years or so.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 PM

Ride Safe!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to riding? (that one guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">85, I thought you had a 919 that you wanted to turbo or something along those lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. just because your civic has 400hp doesn't mean you need to drive everywhere at full boost. I got most of the kit together but not near finished. ive already spent 6 months this year in the middle east on top of school and moving to England.

what is needed for a 919 turbo aside form the obvious exhaust manifold, turbo etc.

oil filter relocation - DONE!!!
rad relocation - DONE!!!
new airbox - not started

oh and by the way, the turbo is a GT1548 http://www.boostxtreme.co.nz/p...3.cfm

right now im on hold because of the air box. to have one made is really way out of my price range with the dollar being so low compared to the pound. it would be cheaper for me to buy a welder and do it myself (almost). I'm going back to the states for some school and vacation so i'm prob not going to see my bike here until next summer. ill get it done sooner or later.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicWagonRUS)

sorry, someone asked me to post something like this. i messed it up and didn't post part of it but whatever