Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

New to the bike world just pick up my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice bike, one of my fav color schemes.

be VERY careful with that thing. it's a metric **** ton of bike.

after MSF, get some good gear, and get full coverage on that thing!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (crxma22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol yeah thats not the right mind set to have as a n00b rider on a uber sport bike

&lt;3.5 pounds per hp not a lot of bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I race an integra that is 3.5 pounds per hp as well 753whp at 2700lbs soon to be over 900whp in 3 months , but I know its a totaly differnt than riding a bike. I'm not planning to jump on it and ride as if I know what im doing, will defently take it easy, everything has a learning curve some things just take longer to learn than others this is something I will take the time to learn

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tornadom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have over 40k riding miles in all weather and road conditions, and my 2007 is a lot of bike for ME!

Good luck to you OP. Make damn sure you are geared up every ride, and have full-coverage and medical insurance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will defently always be geared up all the time, I know a bike is a totally differnt ball game than a high hp car. I have total respect of the bike and will ride as safely as posible with it. I will also have the help of many of my friends who have been riding for many years who are very safe riders as well, so I have a good example to follow. Since im a noob I will start of slow and ride safe but everyone had to start one day, today is just that day for me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That bike is sick! I plan to get a 600 soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks man

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by username=no more &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh please, it's for every single "new" person. it's getting really old and stupid...it is also pretty dickheadish too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

everyone gots to start anything one day to become experianced

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxma22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice bike, take it easy on your 600... it's not about the riding that makes it difficult it's about the situations you're put in that makes riding a race replica difficult. anyone can "ride" a 600, but "reacting" on a 600 when **** hits the fan a whole different ball game. keep it sunny side up, ride saf and you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>
defently be taking it easy on it for a while, thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (Boosteddb8)

you do realize i was actually defending you, not the other way around...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (username=no more)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by username=no more &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow good ol /26, still being aholes about people buying bikes... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not trying to be an *******, I'm just saying its a big mistake to underestimate a modern 600 SS
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM

First off you can't even begin to bring cars into comparisons with bikes; they aren't even in the same ballpark let alone the same state.

Secondly, you don't make much sense at all. You said you finally saved up enough money for a bike yet you're buying a $9k bike as a first bike. If you were rational, mature, and had a good head on your shoulders you would've saved that $6k and spent $3k on a USED bike. $3k got me my 01 600f4i and its barely slower than the RR and won't cost you an arm and a leg WHEN you lay it down.

Yes, the /26 is harsh on newb riders but how can we not be?

You come into this forum with an 08 600rr as a noob and make statements like you've made and expect not to get beat on. It's one thing to be buying a brand new bike as a first bike let alone a race ready motorcycle and its a completely different thing to come in with a crappy rationale as to why you did it.

Oh and just because your friends have been riding for a couple years does not mean they are the best people to follow. They obviously have a lot more experience than you do coming from a harley not to mention the urge you will have to want to keep up with them.

Stay safe and keep the sticky side down.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (TypeR864)

/26 is hard on noobs with big bikes only because as a community, there are a ton of stories about friends who got a new bike because they could, then layed it down in most cases, died in other cases with broken necks over cliffs and **** while riding with friends.

I believe /26 has noobs' best interests at heart, which is enjoying motorcycle riding for a long time to come and doing it healthy. Hopefully when you get that excitement during a ride the paranoia that is /26 will be in the back of his brain and he won't fly off into a road sign by going too wide barely leaning the bike over.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (TypeR864)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeR864 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and spent $3k on a USED bike. $3k got me my 01 600f4i and its barely slower than the .</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn! Why cant I find deals like that here
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (ucb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not trying to be an *******, I'm just saying its a big mistake to underestimate a modern 600 SS </TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you know he underestimates it? you dont...

also there is a way to send out the message like a couple have in this thread...

the people that say, "what color are you going to paint it next month?" "youre going to kill yourself." etc. need to stfu, seriously...

my first bike was an f4i (apparently faster than a RR and R6 in the 1/4, and i was perfectly fine on it as my first bike without any experience at all...at least this guy has some experience...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (username=no more)

*ding ding ding*
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by username=no more &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also there is a way to send out the message like a couple have in this thread...

the people that say, "what color are you going to paint it next month?" "youre going to kill yourself." etc. need to stfu, seriously...

my first bike was an f4i (apparently faster than a RR and R6 in the 1/4, and i was perfectly fine on it as my first bike without any experience at all...at least this guy has some experience...</TD></TR></TABLE>

meh, you need to relax. this is honda-tech. it's serious business.

in the end, people can buy whatever the F they want. but don't come crying back to us in 3 months talking about how "people don't know how to drive!!!" or worse.

part of learning how to ride is mechanical. blip throttle, flick shift lever, apply right pressure for braking. the other parts of riding are mental and spiritual. there's no right or wrong way to learn these 3 aspects of riding--but don't let the bike you're on substitute for the learning experience of any of those aspects.

"yah i do 140 on the freeway wif my 600 i only been riding 3 months!"
"this 600 is pretty fast, but i need a liter bike to really experience motorcycling"
"well, these brakes are so awesome, and the accel is so great--i don't have to worry about traffic and hazards"

i'm not saying anyone is saying these things in the thread--but it's so easy to fall into these traps. and get you and your bike wadded up due to overconfidence, lack of talent/skill.

plus--who didn't drop their first bike in the driveway multiple times? who hasn't dropped their 4th bike in the driveway?

but again, everyone ride what they want. a few snide comments on honda-tech isn't gonna convince the financing bank to repossess anyone's bike.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (bad-monkey)

my gripe is that it's the same dam people over and over and over again with the same lame comments...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this comment made me think he underestimates it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosteddb8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its not a lot of bike
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by username=no more &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my first bike was an f4i (apparently faster than a RR and R6 in the 1/4, and i was perfectly fine on it as my first bike without any experience at all...at least this guy has some experience...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So because it worked out for you, it should work out for him, right?

Wrong. Everyone has a buddy, or someone they knew, friend of a friend, that started on a 600 or 1000. Some made it, some died.

These bikes ARE life or death. It's not commuting, it's not canyon riding...It's that one time in his first year when he hits a bump and guns it, or he taps the front brake too hard in a parking lot.

Going down is inevitable, it will happen. Why throw away 9K (especially when you had to save, heh) when you'd be just as well off on something from the early 21st century.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

We hate on noobs making bad decisions because we care.

full-homo
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM

nice **** i know how you feel i just got my first one too
Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (GraphiteAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So because it worked out for you, it should work out for him, right?

Wrong. Everyone has a buddy, or someone they knew, friend of a friend, that started on a 600 or 1000. Some made it, some died.

These bikes ARE life or death. It's not commuting, it's not canyon riding...It's that one time in his first year when he hits a bump and guns it, or he taps the front brake too hard in a parking lot.

Going down is inevitable, it will happen. Why throw away 9K (especially when you had to save, heh) when you'd be just as well off on something from the early 21st century.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why be an ******* about it though? you could have said, "good luck and be very carefull with the new bike. they have way more power than you can think of."

that would have been sufficient then some ******* comment you always write...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why be an ******* about it though? you could have said, "good luck and be very carefull with the new bike. they have way more power than you can think of."

that would have been sufficient then some ******* comment you always write...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah LOL, like people actually listen when you say things nicely. Had he done some reasearch he would have probably noticed that a 600ss was not the best first choice. Im tired of seeing ******** riding 600cc bikes that fly by me on the straight aways and then get left behind as soon as they have to lean 0.5*, because all they know how to do is twist the wrist. Its not only about safety but about the learning curve. And no, riding a friends bike sometimes is not experience, it only means you can handle the clutch and so.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

that would have been sufficient then some ******* comment you always write...</TD></TR></TABLE>

because pissing off ranting children like yourself is fun!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (Blindstuff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blindstuff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah LOL, like people actually listen when you say things nicely. Had he done some reasearch he would have probably noticed that a 600ss was not the best first choice. Im tired of seeing ******** riding 600cc bikes that fly by me on the straight aways and then get left behind as soon as they have to lean 0.5*, because all they know how to do is twist the wrist. Its not only about safety but about the learning curve. And no, riding a friends bike sometimes is not experience, it only means you can handle the clutch and so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that reminds me of the newbs in vettes and high HP cars at the track. I will be on their *** in the turns through a quarter of the track, I mean NASCAR style because they are being [freak]tards and not pointing by, then in the straights they mash it thinking they are mad fast y0

I always kill them in the braking zone though
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (GraphiteAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

because pissing off ranting children like yourself is fun!</TD></TR></TABLE>

:yawn:
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think every1 is jealous of your bike and your noob status.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
New User

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (zdizzle)

wow if you guys think hes crazy for getting a 600 for a first bike my cousin learnd how to ride on a hayabusa hes 6'1 about 160 pounds and his step mom rides a Busa too hahaha
Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (fg2si!kid)

i have had a gsxr 600 that i have had for 3 yrs and i hoped on my buddies 600 rr and it was insane.. im not going to flame u liek sum peeps..... but it is alot of bike.. just dont be stupid or get caught up in the excitment when ur on the rd thats how people get hurt. my uncle laid his bike down going 5 mph in the sand in a parking lot and broke nearly every bone in his left arm.. having protective leathers is good yes but sliding down the rd on ur *** make short work of gear. ... just be care full have fun and enjoy it... gl.. dont speed or get ur self killed..
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
she's cheating on you

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (luvmihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fg2si!kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow if you guys think hes crazy for getting a 600 for a first bike my cousin learnd how to ride on a hayabusa hes 6'1 about 160 pounds and his step mom rides a Busa too hahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great, think you could post some pics of them in this thread for us https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1986323?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike! (zdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think every1 is jealous of your bike and your noob status.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would anyone be jealous of a cookie-cutter 600rr? Much less, be jealous of someone who has no clue how to ride? You're ether severly mentally retarded, or have deep rooted issues.

Quick Reply: New to the bike world just pick up my first bike!