Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Need some input on upgrading or not...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input on upgrading or not...

Hey everyone. Well as some of you know I bought a 2001 ninja 250 mid-March that was not starting. After changing the oil, cleaning the carbs, valve adjustment, and changing the plugs it started and is running perfect. So far since then, I have put about 1200 miles on it, I ride mostly back roads. Honestly, I am kind of bored of the power band, but I still feel I need improvement in cornering. I want to eventually do a few track days, nothing serious just have fun. I don't mind the slowness I mostly hate the green and purple scheme so I am thinking about spray painting it, but I know this would lower its value. So, that leads me to ask, do you guys feel I should hold off a season or two or should I upgrade to a f3/f4? Thanks for any input
Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Need some input on upgrading or not... (...rohit)

1200mi is nothing

but props for the self restraint in buying a 250 for your first bike. if you want to learn how to corner, pick up a f3/f4 and a trackday. you will learn more at the track in one day than in years of riding street
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Beard

Just get an F4i and be done with it. I think you have a good head on your shoulders.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Eh, I say hold off if you're not planning to keep it a while. I wouldn't put any effort into it, you know?

I'd be scared riding around germantown with a two fiddy ! People drive to fast on 118 and Great Seneca - forget 270 y0! Where do you usually ride?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pauldo)

i wouldn't put anymore effort in to the bike, especially considering you know you're planning on selling it eventually.
1200 miles isn't very much. You're probably feeling pretty comfortable with the bike, but it can go even further. I'm kind of slow to get comfortable and it takes me about 1000 miles to get really comfortable with a new bike. Right as i got to about 1000 miles on my new SV and i started riding faster and turning better. This was the same on my RC too. If you really ride your ninja you can put another 1000 miles on in no time. I say continue riding the crap out of it and just keep your eyes peeled for a used F4i.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (rdblckSV650S)

A more expensive bike ain't gonna teach you to better cornering buckeroo... sheeeeet howdy. While jingling and jangling your spurs at the rodeo curcuit might teach you better scooooter control, that sheeeet ain't gonna teach to survival on the street, which is what you are looking for at this moment son, I tellya. You need both controlled atmosphere and street training before you can brand your first fancy pony there booyee
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some input on upgrading or not... (...rohit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...rohit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but I still feel I need improvement in cornering. </TD></TR></TABLE> that part alone inclines me to suggest that you stay with the kawi. sure its getting boring, but do you want to really get the basics down as much as you can, or do you want a more exhilarating ride?

and yeah, where do you usually ride? 124 gets boring after a while
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM

124? I'm going to have go find that road. I don't think I've ever been there.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: (.Ash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Ash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice
Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MSchu)

thanks for all the input everyone I think I should probably get a lot more miles on this bike before I upgrade I usually ride around darnstown or damascus....not too many roads close by
Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah just keep riding that 2fiddy, F4i's will always be there, and they're just gonna get cheaper and cheaper
Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

the important thing is that you have a level head. that's all that matters. you'll make the right decision. just don't go and de-value that ninja when you know you're gonna sell it

good luck
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A more expensive bike ain't gonna teach you to better cornering buckeroo... sheeeeet howdy. While jingling and jangling your spurs at the rodeo curcuit might teach you better scooooter control, that sheeeet ain't gonna teach to survival on the street, which is what you are looking for at this moment son, I tellya. You need both controlled atmosphere and street training before you can brand your first fancy pony there booyee</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've only been in TN for a couple of months and you've turned Hillbilly on us!

Got a hot cuzzin?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You've only been in TN for a couple of months and you've turned Hillbilly on us!

Got a hot cuzzin?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Cousin? That's too far down the line. Settle for sister. (or mom)
Old 05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: (.Ash)

Sheep and Lanolin
Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Sheep and Lanolin </TD></TR></TABLE> L..La...Lanolin?? like sheeps wool?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pauldo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">124? I'm going to have go find that road. I don't think I've ever been there.</TD></TR></TABLE> up in/around gaithersburg. it goes out towards some country parts of the county that arent that bad
Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ninja 6)

thanks again everyone
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: (...rohit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...rohit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks again everyone </TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY! this is our thread now
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG-lovr !!)

well everyone, I just went down. I was stopped at a 4 way stop sign and it clearly was my turn, as I entered the intersection this bitch went full force ahead causing me to highside. my front turn signal is done for and my left foot peg shifted back (I am not sure if my shifter did too but I cannot shift properly, anyone know what piece I am looking for?) I am actually considering selling my bike do to other drivers never seeing me
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG-lovr !!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-lovr !! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> L..La...Lanolin?? like sheeps wool?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unique New York...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...rohit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well everyone, I just went down. I was stopped at a 4 way stop sign and it clearly was my turn, as I entered the intersection this bitch went full force ahead causing me to highside. my front turn signal is done for and my left foot peg shifted back (I am not sure if my shifter did too but I cannot shift properly, anyone know what piece I am looking for?) I am actually considering selling my bike do to other drivers never seeing me </TD></TR></TABLE>

The damage doesn't sound like much. As long as you are alright, that's what matters. I wouldn't let one bad experience turn you off this quickly, you get used to it over time.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Agreed, don't let one bad experience take you out of riding.

People not seeing you is going to happen when riding (more so in MD, me thinks). Just yield to the cagers and know they don't see you.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...rohit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well everyone, I just went down. I was stopped at a 4 way stop sign and it clearly was my turn, as I entered the intersection this bitch went full force ahead causing me to highside. my front turn signal is done for and my left foot peg shifted back (I am not sure if my shifter did too but I cannot shift properly, anyone know what piece I am looking for?) I am actually considering selling my bike do to other drivers never seeing me </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad you're alright.

You know what they say, there's 2 types of riders...
Those who are going to go down, and those who have gone down.

I'm still waiting for my day
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
My Name is Nobody

ohhhahahahaohhhhh man. I don't mean to laugh at you, it's the irony that is tickling me. I hope you can realize, while it the situation/tip over had Mutual implications... you bare some strong responsibilities. I used to get bashed a bit because, a poster would say...

"Some bitch cut me off and I had the use the rear brake to the point I started sliding the rear of the bike and then the bike tossed me over the handle bars, damn bitch cager ***** f'er"

My response was, "IT WAS YOUR FAULT!"

Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions and destiny, putting ourselves in bad situations to the point where there is no way out, we are responsible for not riding cautiously to the point that the situation and our machine was uncontrollable. Our own inexperience can even make a benin circumstance dangerous by over reacting, or reacting in accurately.

I am glad you are okay, and I am sure YOU are glad that wasn't a NEW 600 you dropped the first day you got her

Quick Reply: Need some input on upgrading or not...