Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Looking at buying New 09' 1000RR "first bike"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying New 09' 1000RR "first bike"

So I am looking at buying a new 09' 1000RR for my first bike...

Any input or suggestions?

Pro's Con's?

If I get a bike I want a big bike like the 1000RR, im not a small guy, but not a huge guy. I'm wieghing in at close to 200lbs these days and am turning 25 at the end of the month so the insurance prices should be much better. I've ridden some dirt bikes and quads in the past but have no experience on a street bike. I'm not looking to break any speed records or anything just looking for something I can cruise and enjoy on the weekends. I do love to go fast and I do love my Honda's but I have had enough bad experience's in the past that I am much better at controlling myself these days and I think I may actually be able to own a bike and not kill myself...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Beard

Default Re: Looking at buying New 09' 1000RR "first bike"

You dont need a 1000RR as a first bike, i dont care about big you are.

have you read the sticky about first time riders?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 200 lbs and my 600 is way too fast for me sometimes.

you don't need a 1000rr for a first bike, unless you want to be a poser who can't even ride his own bike.

a 600 will go way faster than you ever need it to go. and you don't have the skill set to ride a liter bike. most of us here don't, and we've got many miles and years on you.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy used for a first bike, when you drop a new bike it'll cost some cash compared to a used bike. Read the sticky like Rguy said too.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

600 is actually the real way to go. i prefer the zx6r. ahh! jizz
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you've not only chosen the wrong bike Jon, you've chosen the wrong class of motorcycle... please rethink your strategy.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm already looking at taking the CMSP course, and am in no hurry to get a bike. And I have read some of the Sticky for new riders but 25 pages will take a while.

http://www.ca-msp.org/

I understand what you guys are saying about buying a used bike instead of a new bike and will definetly look in to that, might even help save me some money. I am no poser and am not getting a bike to impress anyone. I just like the idea of being on the open road and really being able to enjoy the surroundings. I can't say the speed is not part of the draw but I already have a track dedicated race car to push the limits with.

Do you guys feel that it is harder to ride a 1000 than a 600? I want to buy a bike now that I will enjoy for a long time to come, and not have to worry about buying a better bike in the next few years. I pick things up quick and consider myself to be a talented driver, but as I said I have no experience on a bike. I am not scared of riding a bike like this, but I definetly have a lot of respect for them...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It may sound like I am arguing with you guys and I guess I am, but i'm also listening. I wouldnt have posted if i wasnt interested in hearing responces, even if I already knew what they would be...

If the 1000RR is really to much bike let me hear some real reasons why, and how I would benefit from a smaller bike...

I have a good job and can afford what I want, and I am the kinda guy that likes nice things thats why I am leaning towards the 1000
Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon V
I'm already looking at taking the CMSP course, and am in no hurry to get a bike. And I have read some of the Sticky for new riders but 25 pages will take a while.

http://www.ca-msp.org/

I understand what you guys are saying about buying a used bike instead of a new bike and will definetly look in to that, might even help save me some money. I am no poser and am not getting a bike to impress anyone. I just like the idea of being on the open road and really being able to enjoy the surroundings. I can't say the speed is not part of the draw but I already have a track dedicated race car to push the limits with.

Do you guys feel that it is harder to ride a 1000 than a 600? I want to buy a bike now that I will enjoy for a long time to come, and not have to worry about buying a better bike in the next few years. I pick things up quick and consider myself to be a talented driver, but as I said I have no experience on a bike. I am not scared of riding a bike like this, but I definetly have a lot of respect for them...
It's not that hard to just ride the bike when you have enough experience under your belt. throttle control is a definate MUST on the newer 1000's as the power delivery can be scary compared to a 600.

My friend was in a similar position as you. he wanted to buy an '08 1000RR as his bike cuz he loved how it looked and though, 'well, i'm a big guy, i need a big bike'. he took the course and i took him out for a ride. he borrowed a friends 600RR and he shat himself when he tried to open it up a bit on an open straight. needless to say, he re-thought his position and has decided not to buy the 1000.

I really don't know why some people think they need a bigger cc bike since they're larger. not saying you, just in general. but the mentality is like, "i'm 200lbs, so i need to drive a dodge viper over a civic". you can kill yourself in either vehicle

for what it's worth, my first bike was a 600RR and i found that i should've bought a used older bike that's easier to wring out to help my learning curve. i'm now on a GSXR750 and will never see the need to move up to a liter bike.

anyways, take the course first and be safe dood.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi!

Have you considered taking the MSF yet?

Classes that grant you the endorsement, if you pass. Maybe that will determine if riding is really for you.

I have been riding for a while and it's not as great as I once thought it was. Maybe because I'm getting older and the high school mentality is gone! LOL!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mashimaro
It's not that hard to just ride the bike when you have enough experience under your belt. throttle control is a definate MUST on the newer 1000's as the power delivery can be scary compared to a 600.

My friend was in a similar position as you. he wanted to buy an '08 1000RR as his bike cuz he loved how it looked and though, 'well, i'm a big guy, i need a big bike'. he took the course and i took him out for a ride. he borrowed a friends 600RR and he shat himself when he tried to open it up a bit on an open straight. needless to say, he re-thought his position and has decided not to buy the 1000.

I really don't know why some people think they need a bigger cc bike since they're larger. not saying you, just in general. but the mentality is like, "i'm 200lbs, so i need to drive a dodge viper over a civic". you can kill yourself in either vehicle

for what it's worth, my first bike was a 600RR and i found that i should've bought a used older bike that's easier to wring out to help my learning curve. i'm now on a GSXR750 and will never see the need to move up to a liter bike.

anyways, take the course first and be safe dood.

That makes sense... My mentaility is not so much that I am a "big guy" and need a "big bike", I ahve just talked to soem friends who have/had bikes and have been told the 600 and 1000's dont have a big difference in weight so i figure why not get the bigger bike. I can say for now that I will definetly not be looking to go out any time soon and push the bike anywhere near its limits. I need to learn to crawl long before I need to learn to run...

My one buddy who still has a bike just bought a new R1, so maybe he will let me put around on it after I take the course just to get an idea. Ever since I first even looked at a bike years ago I always like the 1000RR, but knew insurance amongst other things would kill me.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. Unequivocally yes.

What people have a hard time understanding is that in a straight line, you could ride any bike. After your first 6 weeks in the saddle, you get used to the straight line power of even something like a zx-14 or 'b00sa. but, that's not really riding. granted, those first 6 weeks on a powerful bike with a new rider will bite a good amount of them in the ***--the feeling of WOT on a 1000cc sportbike is scary.

But once you graduate from straight line riding, and start riding for real, that's where the 1000 will really f*ck you up. The amount of throttle control you need to ride a 1000 at the limits of traction is not something that a lot of people have--and when you break the limits of traction, on throttle, mid corner, you're setting yourself up for the scariest 1.5 seconds of your life as you're catapulted skywards and land on your face from a brutal highside.

now, you may say you don't intend to ride at the limits of traction--but a) it's not so easy to avoid--there's oftentimes no real alarm or signal that your tires are gonna let go and b) riding hard on track is the most fun you're going to have on 2 wheels, especially if you're looking at a supersport liter bike.

on the merits of the 600--600's are making so much power these days themselves, that they're starting to get pretty hairy for new riders. they're usually lighter, more forgiving, and easier to ride. and they're a lot of fun. My bike still does a 10.5 ET. 0-60 in like 3.2s. Top speed is 140+ (actual). The front wheel comes up in 4th gear on power wheelies.

whenever i ride a 1000, or when i had my 750, riding it hard felt like hard work. half the time i was scared to really open up the throttle, the other half i was fighting the bike to change direction like my 600 (which weighs 20-40 lbs less) can. i'm not a pro, but i like to think i'm reasonably good at this motorcycle riding thing--and with my current level of experience, i'm not ready to ride a 1000 in anger.

also, consider that "first bike" transactions are usually the best kinds of deals. You pay 2k for a starterbike, that's had its cherry popped and a few dings. ride it til you have some idea of what you're doing, and sell it for 2k (maybe even 2.5k if you time it right). name another deal in motorsports that gives you your money back or makes you a profit?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say it one more time... you've chosen the wrong class of motorcycle, not displacement of motorcycle
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Numba1 K Series
Have you considered taking the MSF yet?

Classes that grant you the endorsement, if you pass. Maybe that will determine if riding is really for you.

I have been riding for a while and it's not as great as I once thought it was. Maybe because I'm getting older and the high school mentality is gone! LOL!
Yes... I told my fiance thats what I want for my birthday....

I won't be getting rid of any of my vehicles to buy the bike, so it wont be my only mode of tranportation, and will actually be more fo just a weekend and every once and a while cruising vehicle. I have an 07' silverado that I daily and a 99 EK with a K swap that is my track machine.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MSchu
I'll say it one more time... you've chosen the wrong class of motorcycle, not displacement of motorcycle

You're a real big help dude... Please stay and keep posting the same non informational useless comments. I'll be sure to listen to you...

What would you suggest a Vespa?

And you're the Moderater? Damn no wonder this site has been going down the tubes!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes sense... My mentaility is not so much that I am a "big guy" and need a "big bike", I ahve just talked to soem friends who have/had bikes and have been told the 600 and 1000's dont have a big difference in weight so i figure why not get the bigger bike. I can say for now that I will definetly not be looking to go out any time soon and push the bike anywhere near its limits. I need to learn to crawl long before I need to learn to run...

My one buddy who still has a bike just bought a new R1, so maybe he will let me put around on it after I take the course just to get an idea. Ever since I first even looked at a bike years ago I always like the 1000RR, but knew insurance amongst other things would kill me.
that's the scary thing about the new liter bikes; the power is insane considering they weigh the same if not less than a lot of 600s out there (the 1000RR is about 25lbs lighter than my '08 750 and has at least 30whp more...scary specs!).

i've talked to many experienced riders in my area who have been riding for over 20 years. they recently had a 'demo day' at one my local yamaha dealers and when they rode the new R1, they shat themselves at how much power the bike produces. the wheel comes up with power alone in the first few gears...a person will need a lot of experience with throttle control to keep it in check. it'll take a lot of concentration and self-control to ride a new liter bike, something that i feel requires a lot of experience

also, when riding around town, you probably won't even get out of first gear.

and yes, insurance for the 1000's is usually butt-raping.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're a real big help dude... Please stay and keep posting the same non informational useless comments. I'll be sure to listen to you...
they're not so non-informational.

there are reasons why supersports aren't ideal for new riders. panic braking with 4 6-pot calipers and a sticky front tire requires finesse. Finesse takes time to develop. Without it, you don't know how easy it is to go rolling down the road, end over end. You'd think good brakes are a good thing--but on 2 wheels good braking can kill you too.

And then there's the body position, and the other stuff about supersports which isn't ideal for a new rider--but if you have your heart set on a cbr...

I will advise you to not only go used, but go very used. CBR F3/F4/F4i. 99-02 R6 (though it's funny, and i dont believe them, Yamaha says this bike makes 120 bhp), 99-02 zx6-r. 99-08 sv650. ninja 650r. etc etc.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy said something abotu a setting where if you are in town the bike kinda sputters and works itself up so the power is not all delivered at once? Kinda like a traction control type deal, but you switch the settings over and its ready to go with alll the power on tap and no lag...

Any idea what he was talking about? or maybe I just heard him wrong?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What would you suggest a Vespa?

And you're the Moderater? Damn no wonder this site has been going down the tubes!
He's actually right, if you aren't looking for outright speed or racing, just cruising around, there are bikes for that...they're called cruisers for a reason.

Or get a naked, most of them are pretty quick for the street, and a much more civilized than a liter superbike.

There are MANY kinds of bikes for many kinds of riding...don't get a liter, look into another kind of bike more suited for the type of riding you're planning to do.

Also, getting a liter superbike as your first bike is like start doing H...yeah you may say you're going to take it slow, but it's addicting and it can completely f*ck up your life so fast.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bad-monkey
they're not so non-informational.

there are reasons why supersports aren't ideal for new riders. panic braking with 4 6-pot calipers and a sticky front tire requires finesse. Finesse takes time to develop. Without it, you don't know how easy it is to go rolling down the road, end over end. You'd think good brakes are a good thing--but on 2 wheels good braking can kill you too.

And then there's the body position, and the other stuff about supersports which isn't ideal for a new rider--but if you have your heart set on a cbr...

I will advise you to not only go used, but go very used. CBR F3/F4/F4i. 99-02 R6 (though it's funny, and i dont believe them, Yamaha says this bike makes 120 bhp), 99-02 zx6-r. 99-08 sv650. ninja 650r. etc etc.
You think the ABS on the new CBR's woudl help any with the learning curve pertaining to breaking?

I think the oldest I am willing to go would be maybe 04-05'ish and I think I wanna stick with a Honda... I dont want to have to worry about fixing someone else's old pile. I have my racecar that needs plenty of work, and give me all the wrench time I desire. When you buy a "new" bike do they offer any type of warranty like they do on new cars?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Starscream
He's actually right, if you aren't looking for outright speed or racing, just cruising around, there are bikes for that...they're called cruisers for a reason.

Or get a naked, most of them are pretty quick for the street, and a much more civilized than a liter superbike.

There are MANY kinds of bikes for many kinds of riding...don't get a liter, look into another kind of bike more suited for the type of riding you're planning to do.

Also, getting a liter superbike as your first bike is like start doing H...yeah you may say you're going to take it slow, but it's addicting and it can completely f*ck up your life so fast.
You guys keep saying he is right but need to explain what he means... LoL I love it

Dont get me wrong I wanna go fast and I wanna learn to ride, but i am not going to jump on the bike and think I am the best in the game. I want a bike that I can learn to ride well on, I want to cruise around by myself and learn to ride. I dont want to be restricted by the bike, but I dont want to kill myself either...

I will definetly look at a 600 or 750 or someting before I buy anything...

I dont need a gold wing, or a Harley, I want something sleak that can go fast when I am ready to go fast...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You think the ABS on the new CBR's woudl help any with the learning curve pertaining to breaking?

I think the oldest I am willing to go would be maybe 04-05'ish and I think I wanna stick with a Honda... I dont want to have to worry about fixing someone else's old pile. I have my racecar that needs plenty of work, and give me all the wrench time I desire. When you buy a "new" bike do they offer any type of warranty like they do on new cars?
these things are generally bulletproof. honda's only have a few minor things that go wrong with them, and they're easily fixed. suzuki, yamaha, and kawasaki are almost as good, depending on the model.

new bikes have warranties, but most of the time they're not needed. if you can work on a car, you can work on a bike--and never want to wrench on a car again.

ABS won't really help all that much. you can still loop the bike with it.

the bottom line is, if you're getting a 04+ supersport 600--it is still dangerous, and requires your full attn and due diligence to survive the learning process. and since many of us are still being taken out by debris, cars, and all the other stuff on the road waiting to kill us, it still may not change anything. all we can do is manage the risk, and minimize our exposure to disaster. we do that with proper gear, proper riding habits, proper equipment (incl. the bike we choose).

get an 03-04 cbr 600rr. they're getting cheap now anyways. either that or a 03 f4i or 03+ suzuki sv650.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heck, my Honda is 92ish and I have had it for almost 1 year and half and very, very few issues...and it visits the redline very often. Damn thing is bulletproof. Just oil changes and minor stuff like chain/sprockets, fork seals, etc.

I recommend starting small, the learning curve will be much better. There is no thing as "easily growing out" a bike, most normal people can't ride a 500 twin to 100% of it's potential, so what is left to say of a 600 or 1000.

Get a cheap used bike, have it for a season then upgrade if you want.

I want something sleak that can go fast when I am ready to go fast...
Thing is...you will think you're ready to go fast, when you really aren't. Power corrupts people, and it's so easy to get it with a twist of your wrist.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll definetly start by looking at a 600 then...

I think I will pick things up quick, I kinda feel like I am a natural behind the wheel. But I dont have much experience on a bike so I plan on taking it slow, because I do have a certain respect and fear to be honest about bikes. I have done some crazy **** in a car and am lucky to be here today, if I ahd a bike in high school or even in teh few years after high school I would be dead for sure. I have grown up a little and I think I am ready to have fun on a bike while still controlling myself...

Plus insurance is going to be way cheaper now that I am turning 25...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you guys think something like this would be a little more suiting for me?

http://bertsmegamall.com/megastore/s...&submit=Search

I like the styling of the newer models...

What type of milage is exceptable for a 3-5 year old bike? how often and what types of maintnance need to be done? If I buy a used bike I should probly change the oil right away right? anything else that should be looked at when I get one?

Quick Reply: Looking at buying New 09' 1000RR "first bike"