Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Just got my bike...Amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my bike...Amazing!

Well i just picked up my bike today, all i can say is riding is simply an amazing feeling..
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR...
Yes i know its a bit much to start out on, but i can honestly say i didnt rev it over 6k, or go over 60mph, mostly because the bike is scary fast.

I got the hang of riding in about 30 mins, but im obviously still a newb, and still extremely cautious.

I still can not even imaging cracking it WOT and ripping to 15k...

Tomm. I will get some pics..
Its got a Jardine pipe, and a tank sticker thing, with 4500 miles. All black.. Simply Amazing

EDIT : PICS!!!!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1221191

Modified by Swags04 at 8:19 PM 4/21/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Just got my bike...Amazing! (Swags04)

pizics

how much?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my bike...Amazing! (ProjectF4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectF4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pizics

how much?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Just got my bike...Amazing! (Swags04)

be safe yo
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please, take a MSF course,and don't ride alone for a while.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drip Pan)

Im taking the MSF course in early may. I rode around today, but not in any high traffic area's, mostly back roads, just to learn the basics. Ill get pics tommorro when i clean her up
Old 04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Swags04)

good for u - u will love it, just be safe and ride responsable. i noticed u IM'd me...

Old 04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swags04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im taking the MSF course in early may. I rode around today, but not in any high traffic area's, mostly back roads, just to learn the basics. Ill get pics tommorro when i clean her up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to be an ***, but please don't teach yourself how to ride. If you can't wait for the MSF course, ask a very(i.e. over a decade) experienced rider to help you get the basics.

But if you want to venture out on to the streets, never put it in neutral at a stop light, always look in your mirrors and over your shoulder when stopped, put your left foot down first, don't drag your feet, always wear a helmet, boots, and gloves at a minimum, and have fun.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:10 PM

that's how i learned... took around the back roads by myself because none of my friends rode at the time and i just couldn't resist waiting for my msf course that was scheduled 2 weeks later
but try to resist riding it by yourself as much as you can. i ended up dropping it at like 5mph
Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i "learned" the basics from a rider of 30 years. (GF' Dad) But telling can only teach you so much.
Ive read all the advice, and handbooks and take it very seriously. Thanks for the advice also, although i have already admited it into driving ...

Somthing that i noticed that is just plain awesome is the biker love/respect..
Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swags04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i "learned" the basics from a rider of 30 years. (GF' Dad) But telling can only teach you so much.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go for a ride with him, have him follow you, and then pull over every 5-10 miles. Have him give you pointers, and help you become more comfortable.

If at all possible(if your brave enough on a new bike) practice making an emergence stop while in a corner. Knowing how to properly stop while leaning in a corner saved my ***(and probably my life) yesterday coming home from work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swags04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive read all the advice, and handbooks and take it very seriously. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your already light years ahead of many new riders.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swags04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Somthing that i noticed that is just plain awesome is the biker love/respect..</TD></TR></TABLE>

welcome to the family
Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 PM

well best of luck bump for a fellow PA person

I have always been a sucker for your integra, and have recently seen your interest on honda-tech is search and pursuit for a bike. Congrats on the ride of the RR and be safe, I am hoping to find my first bike soon as well.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay? Out the door, or from a private seller? Can't wait to see pics
Old 04-19-2005, 08:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drip Pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please, take a MSF course,and don't ride alone for a while.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drip Pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please, take a MSF course,and don't ride alone for a while.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drip Pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please, take a MSF course,and don't ride alone for a while.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chillin94hatch)

I paid 6,000. Which is mostly why i bought it. (INSANE DEAL)
He also had a Jardine pipe on it, only 4500 miles, and once the deal was over he put a bike cover in my car, and 2 Icon Helmets

I was like wow, this is one genuine guy.

At first i didnt want to spend over 5k, but i simply could not turn this deal down
Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the real fun starts after 9k....
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (usdmPC3)

drip pan.
i already discussed with him the importance of the msf over IM. i myself just saved my bike and close to my life... emergancy stop in a corner saved me from hitting a tunnel.. ended up 5 feet in a corn field...didnt even drop the bike and saved me from sliding out or hitting the tunnel wall....the msf is great. even though u dont "think" about what they teach u at the course while riding...it wil always be stuck in ur head and will you will remember and do it when the time is needed.

but neway like i said netime ur down by ship let me know we will go ridin!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drip Pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But if you want to venture out on to the streets, never put it in neutral at a stop light, always look in your mirrors and over your shoulder when stopped, put your left foot down first, don't drag your feet, always wear a helmet, boots, and gloves at a minimum, and have fun.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain the logic behind this stuff? Like the left foot first, for example. I do that instinctively for some reason, but why is it riding orthodoxy?

And, what's so special about an "MSF emergency stop?"
Old 04-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ross R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you explain the logic behind this stuff? Like the left foot first, for example. I do that instinctively for some reason, but why is it riding orthodoxy?

And, what's so special about an "MSF emergency stop?"</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Not putting it in neutral = this allows you to hit the gas and avoid being rear-ended. The time it
takes you to lift your foot, and put it in gear could cost you dearly

2. Looking in your mirrors/looking behind you = this lets you see the car so you can get out of the way if they don’t stop in time. If you look behind you when a car is approaching more often than not they will leave more room between them and you when they do stop.

3. Left foot down first = your right foot controls your rear break, you never know when you will need that extra stopping power.

4. Don’t drag your feet = if your shoe gets caught in a crack, nasty things can happen.

The emergency stop we are referring too is very simple, but over looked by many riders. When you have to do a “oh ****” stop while in a corner you have to remember to straighten the handle bars, and get the bike as vertical as possible before applying the brakes. If not, its low side city.

The MSF course allows you to practice this, and if you screw it up... who cares the bikes they use are perferct to drop. Better than to practice until you get it right, then fail to practice and end up a statistic.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the shiny side up!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Drip Pan - good information thank you
Old 04-20-2005, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i never took msf but saved my bike today in a super low lean while nailing one of those metal round things in the middle of the road?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (usdmPC3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usdmPC3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never took msf but saved my bike today in a super low lean while nailing one of those metal round things in the middle of the road?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Would that metal round thing be a man hole cover? I F*cking hate those things, why do they have to be so deep, why can't they just be flush with the street surface........
Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost was re ended by a semi once on the free way. Looked in the rear mirror and saw smoke comming off his tires. I moved out of the way. He was able to stop in time, wasn't worth the risk though. Traffic was stopped and I think he wasn't paying attention.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxxtreme)

Yeah, im more "scared" of highway's just because of freak accidents. And your going much faster than town roads... Although they say like 90 percent of accidents are short trips..
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
I miss Andrea.

As long as you don't rush things you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Just got my bike...Amazing!