Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

How dangerous are motorcycles? Fallen riders chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How dangerous are motorcycles? Fallen riders chime in.

I'm a rookie rider... I bought a brand new 2008 Honda Rebel [250] in May last year. I've been riding the hell out of it and have almost 8500 miles. I've had many MANY close calls already. Honestly, every single one has been the other driver's negligence. I've never dropped my bike on the road, just in the driveway heh heh, but I believe that I ride with respect for the road. When there is traffic, shitty weather I keep my speeds under control and take it easy through the turns. When I'm alone, nice weather I do ride a little more aggresively, **** it, I bought it to have fun but I still do it with respect for the road. I'm always trying to pay attention to my surroundings. I avoided getting rear ended last week because I noticed the van coming up behind was going to fast, I kicked it into 1st and moved up, while he skidded to a stop to where I just was. This morning some fool came over into my lane with FX, I just gave the bike some brake and pulled to the side more in my lane.

I'm honestly glad I started with a smaller bike. Its a lot more forgiving and I've gained a lot of confidence in my riding abilities. I really can't wait to move up to the next level bike though. Ill probably have to wait until I graduate now though.

My brother does have a Yamaha R6 though, so Ill probably try to ride that once he fixes it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill contribute...i posted this on my r6 forum..

**Edit: been wanting to go to a trackday. I just wanted to be comfortable dragging knee both left and right. Also I havent met anyone with a truck that will help me truck my bike out to a trackday. Also Ive got a titanium rod for a femur and it sucks. The swelling wont let me bend my knee too far..Thanks for the replies! hope to get back on a bike soon.

First off, sorry if this belongs in the crash thread, I just want So-cal riders to hear my story.

I got screwed.. Ive been riding about 10 months, put about 10,xxx miles on my bike. About 200 of those were going through the canyons or on freeway on/off ramps leaving kneepuck residue all over San Diego. So I was pretty comfortable with riding and pushing my bike here and there. Well August 15th i went for a ride, I suited up in my still relatively new Dainese T-tribal 2 piece leather suit scored off of craigslist, with my alpinestars SMX plus boots, and Arai Rx7 Corsair "Sete" flawless helmet.

I was just riding around hitting up the freeway on/ off ramps going from 8 east to 15 north, then up to the cloverleaf at the 805 and Miramar. Everything was going just fine..Shorty afterwards I made my way to the turn going 5 south to the 15 north...very fun turn i would say..then Everything when horribly wrong.

I am very comfortable going aobut 56-58 Mph on this turn, but for some reason I remember only going about 45 when my rear tire caught some oil and threw me into a highside. I distinctly remember my rear tire slipping out and then I dont remember much after that. What I think happend was I was thrown off the bike into the air and my left femur landed on the guardrail at 45 mph. It snapped. my bike does what bikes do in a high side and flipped and tumbled into the guardrail. I remember waking up for 5seconds and saw 2 people on cell phones calling the cops, and an ambulance. I guess I told some guy that I was an Aircrewman at HSl-43 but i dont remember that. I dont remember being put in an ambulance, or them cutting up my beautiful leather suit..I was in and out of consciousness at the hospital where I remember giving someone 2 phone numbers my parents, and my girlfriend to tell them what happened. There isnt much else after that except waking up in the middle of the night with a catheter that was killing me. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks due to complications with blood clots, and head problems due to losing consciousness.

Now 3 weeks later, life sucks. Cant use my left leg. They say it takes 6-8 weeks for a full recovery. I cant touch my left foot so showering is a task. Its really hard to get dressed. Sitting on the toilet hurts when i put weight on my left thigh. I have to give myself shots 2x a day and all kinds of other meds. And I have to go to a clinic to get my blood levels monitored every other day or every couple of days.

you know what though? you couldnt pay me to stop riding =]

heres some pics.

the insurace people told me they havent seen a crash this bad in a couple years and that im lucky to be alive =]

24 stitches for the titamium femur

Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn man. Sorry about your crash...

...but are you almost mooning us in that last shot...?!?

So are you back on two now?
(https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...0#post37482410)
Old 02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the old saying goes there is only 2 types of riders: those who crashed and those who will. As long as you have your gear on and dont hit any car or objects after you crash your pretty safe. i flipped my bike in 2000 riding wheelies but i was all geared so i didnt get hurt at all
Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi!

Dang...reading a story like that makes me want to just spend my tuition money on gear.

Do you plan on just selling the bike or rebuilding it?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AdeJong 03
yea, take for example a new skyline gt-r or lamborghini gallardo superleggera. Both can outhandle and out brake any street legal motorcycle

search on youtube for ducati 1098s vs gtr and 1098r vs gallardo and you will see it
Or go to the forced induction forum and see a million economy cars that can out accelerate and out corner bikes all day long. I have beat countless bikes with my civic, from lights, on the highway and on twisty roads...all closed courses of course.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what my boyfriend says(rip94delsol) cathater sucks *****.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bailhatch
Or go to the forced induction forum and see a million economy cars that can out accelerate and out corner bikes all day long. I have beat countless bikes with my civic, from lights, on the highway and on twisty roads...all closed courses of course.
The thing is, the Civic has more money on the engine that what a brand new liter costs

And won't pull any ***
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess...but they exist was my point.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, God created turbos to give cars a chance

Oh wait, bikes can be turbo'ed too
Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi!

Originally Posted by Starscream
Well, God created turbos to give cars a chance

Oh wait, bikes can be turbo'ed too
Anyone that turbos a bike has issues.

It's already fast as is!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No one should tell you what to do your 18 if you want one get one i don't care what happens to you lol your a complete stranger so do what you feel is right .
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM

in the past year 3 guys i know hav been killed in motorcycle accident one just this weekend leaving behind his 10 month old son. None of these guys wer new riders by anymeans most life long riders and not sportbikes either all harley riders, none of the accident ther fault. Its not for the faint hearted. Motorcycle ACCIDNETS happen regardless of age, experience, type of bike, style of riding, or anything else. And its not like a video game wer u just get up. If u go down bad it will mess you up probably for the rest of your life and thats if u make it. If ur unlucky you will die and thats it, no more, you ceast to exist. People will cry, morn, and miss you. Your death will proly hav a termendous effect on your loved ones. Riding a motorcycle is termendously dangerous and regardless of wat many young riders think it can happen to you, you are not untouchable or invinceable PERIOD thers no "ohh but im carefull" or "i wear gear" or "i play it safe" THings happen. You need to think long and hard about riding a motorcycle it can greatly impact your life as well as the ones you love.

I do not mean to tell you not to ride a motorcycle just think about it.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Numba1 K Series
Dang...reading a story like that makes me want to just spend my tuition money on gear.

Do you plan on just selling the bike or rebuilding it?
nah insurance totalled it I was in the hospital for a while anyways. I made 1300 on it(full coverage) Yeah get leathers man, i crahsed 3 times in an ICON textile and got road rash each time

And HondatagirlPea..yeah catheters suck. The nurse came in at night, and when i told her i couldnt pee, she said "okay, well im just going to advance it a little its not gonna hurt" ..when she said that i almost started crying....
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sayanything
Yeah get leathers man, i crahsed 3 times in an ICON textile and got road rash each time
After a few crashes don't you think you'd see that you're doing something wrong? Encouraging others to get leathers = good. Continuing riding recklessly on the street = bad. Take it to the track or please stop now.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi!

I recently bought this jacket...

I like it a lot.

Comfortable, looks good, and also comes with a thermal vest!!!

I'm a crybaby when it's cold riding on the freeways!! LOL.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tornadom
I haven't read the entire thread, but to be frank:
Well if you haven't please see page 2. Holy bajesus.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sayanything
And HondatagirlPea..yeah catheters suck. The nurse came in at night, and when i told her i couldnt pee, she said "okay, well im just going to advance it a little its not gonna hurt" ..when she said that i almost started crying....
for the time he was in the hospital I think he had a cathater put in probably 6-7 times. 1 was when he was in surgery so he didnt feel that but the rest, lets just say you could hear him scream.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Starscream
The thing is, the Civic has more money on the engine that what a brand new liter costs

And won't pull any ***
haha

but in a civic, if you hit the wall you're still alive
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bailhatch
meh, i call bs on this one. maybe on the highway from a roll from 80 to 200, and honestly who cares because 9 sec turbo eg's are 1-trick ponies.

as far as who can "outcorner" who, that depends more on the rider/driver than it does on the bike/car. suffice it to say it takes a dedicated race car to do bike trackday B group pace, or something with serious ball$.

Once you get into open wheel race cars, they start to separate themselves from bikes, but closed wheel sedans? i'm pretty confident that i'm faster than 80% of them and I'm a hack.

I'm like 3 seconds slower than bernardo driving his H1 HAsport car at his race pace. 'Nardo is 5 or 6 seconds slower than 600cc race pace at WSIR. probably about the same gap at BW.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi!

Why are other riders '********' on the freeway?

I was cruising doing the speed limit, when an enduro type of bike decides to sneak right past me...in the same lane!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Quiks66
After a few crashes don't you think you'd see that you're doing something wrong? Encouraging others to get leathers = good. Continuing riding recklessly on the street = bad. Take it to the track or please stop now.
ahh dude, you got it all wrong. I didnt crash from wheelies or anything. it was just form being a beginner ridfer, not looking through a turn, grabbing brake instead of increasing lean, and yeah one of them was stupid. But i learned from all that, no more bike, no more femur....no one else got hurt.. And yes i am looking for a trackbike
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i drive a honda
haha

but in a civic, if you hit the wall you're still alive
Civic =/= Volvo

In a gutted hatchcrap, the chances of surviving a crash are almost the same as in riding a bike LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bad-monkey
meh, i call bs on this one. maybe on the highway from a roll from 80 to 200, and honestly who cares because 9 sec turbo eg's are 1-trick ponies.

as far as who can "outcorner" who, that depends more on the rider/driver than it does on the bike/car. suffice it to say it takes a dedicated race car to do bike trackday B group pace, or something with serious ball$.

Once you get into open wheel race cars, they start to separate themselves from bikes, but closed wheel sedans? i'm pretty confident that i'm faster than 80% of them and I'm a hack.

I'm like 3 seconds slower than bernardo driving his H1 HAsport car at his race pace. 'Nardo is 5 or 6 seconds slower than 600cc race pace at WSIR. probably about the same gap at BW.
I guess you can call BS on it if you want. I'm not talking about racecars and race bikes though. I don't drive a drag car or a roadrace car...it's a street car thats kinda quick and has good supension and tires. I'm a pretty good driver and my car has good traction in all 4 directions. There is no way I can convince you on the internet, but I promise I have beat lots of bikes, some of them 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row on the highway. Many of them on twisty roads and several from a dig too. Granted I get stomped by R1s and stuff like that (the last one passed me on one wheel hehe) but your average 600 with a fart pipe and a shitty rider is easy prey no matter what the situation. Nearly all of them give me a thumbs up afterward
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What numbers are you putting down? A 600 is no slouch. But I'll give it to you, there are a lot of shitty riders on the roads...and racing a bike is MUCH harder than racing a car. Not only for the different set of skills, but also confidence (*****, as some people call it lol).

Quick Reply: How dangerous are motorcycles? Fallen riders chime in.