Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions

Hi everybody.
I'm new to motorcycles and scooters and have a few questions.

I'm thinking about getting a scooter, with good gas mileage, get around the city. With the price of gas on the rise and not risking my 2000 Civic getting stolen after the K20A swap, I decided on buying the 2005 Big Ruckus.

So here are the questions:
1. How many miles per gallon does the Big Ruckus get? I checked the Honda website but can't find it.
Answered. 60.5 mpg
2. Can I drive on the freeway? (This might sound like a stupid question but I really don't know)
Answered. Shouldn't drive on freeway cause I might not have enough acceleration to get out of harms way.

3. How do I prevent theft when I park away from home (i.e. campus parking, street parking, and other parking structures)?

4. How fast can it travel? Cause I dont want to buy a full face helmet but I don't want any bugs or anything smashed into my face.
Answered. I'm buying a half helmet/open face helmet because I won't be going on the freeway and I feel relatively comfortable with the risks/protection level of there kinds of helmets.

5. Any links or magazine issues with a review on the 2005 Big Ruckus or other information that I can look into?
Update. Any link or information about magazine issues still needed.

Thanks in advance for all the help

-Paul

Modified by papichat at 5:08 PM 8/10/2005

Modified by papichat at 3:12 AM 8/13/2005
Old 08-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

daaamn cross drilled rotors.. lol
Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (papichat)

1. Dunno.. havent seen didn't see any figures
2. Yes but depending on what kind of power the 250cc engine puts out would you want to chance pulling out on the freeway? At speeds of 65+ if you need to get out of the way of a moron car driver can the ruckus do so?
3. Disk lock, motorcycle chain lock to a pole
4. ? Dunno top speed either but I would hope that if you plan on riding on the highway you would wear a full face helmet. My crf 50f does ~35-40 so this should do well over that.
5. Google it. I did and found a few threads on scooter forums, nothing ground breaking being posted.

Bugs shouldnt be your biggest concern when choosing a helmet. Smashing your face against something when the moron in the car/suv turns in front of you should be more of a concern when selecting helmet type.

Finally with a msrp of 5499, why not spend the extra 1000 and get a suzuki sv650s. If I am not mistaken scooters above 50cc are considered motorcycles and are treated as such anyways.

Just a thought.

Steven
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sat on one at the international motorcycle show, it was interesting to say the least. extremely strong build. I do not think it will be for interstate use
Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (Schubeedoobee)

Its freeway legal. At least where I live, in CA anything over 150cc is freeway legal. The old 250 Elites go over 70mph, and this being newer probably goes faster. I would guess at least 75. Gas mileage might be less than you think. I'd think around 50 or 60.

This is a lot easier to steal than a civic. Seems like the wrong reason to buy one. I also agree that in this price range there are better choices. Its not that its a bad vehicle, its just overpriced. Still, if it fits the bill for what you need exactly, and nothing else does, then maybe get one.

Get a full face helmet. This isn't a bicycle. If you must have an open face, you can get a bug shield for it if it doesnt come with one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">daaamn cross drilled rotor.. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (mos)

getting on a freeway here in so cal on a 150 is a leap of faith my brotha... you won't catch me doing it unless it's to get to the next offramp. and those 8" wheels look a little bit twitchy
Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (Schubeedoobee)

Yep, I have a 175 and I wont take it on the freeway. Yep, the gyro forces generated by the 12" or 14" or whatever wheels on the big rukus are much smaller than those of 17" wheels. You get used to it though.

To the original poster: Consider an EX500 or something?.. If you're set on a brand new scooter check out the Burgman 400. I think its in the same price range. Kymco has some nice 250's as well. And a 500.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 AM

I don't understand the appeal of something like this. If you have to wear a helmet, gear and get an M endorsment to ride it, why not get a motorcycle? At a price of 5500 I could find 100's of bikes I would rather buy.

If you're talking about a little scooter for a grand that doesn't require M endorsement or plates or anything, then sure - but this?

Just like someone else mentioned - why not an ex250 or 500?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Why not get a mid-80's, 500-750cc, whatever motorcycle (inline 4, semi-cruiser/sport) for a fraction of the cost?

It will be faster, more stable, less prone to being stolen, and much more comfortable on the freeway.

Examples: Honda CB###, Yamaha XJ Maxim or Seca ###, Kawasaki Z###, Suzuki GS###.

All to be had for $500-1500 and rare as dirt.

Also as someone mentioned, any of the EX Kawasaki Ninjas are sweet to ride.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Some new questions I posted are in bold.

Thanks for your opinions and help on getting the best for your buck motorcycle/scooter for the same price as the Big Ruckus, but I decided to buy the Big Ruckus because I like how it looks and it falls in my price range. And I'm not looking for a scooter in particular, just a street legal (something that requires a M1 license) motorcycle-like or scooter-like vehicle.

I'm still unclear if I can drive on the freeway or not lol.
To mos: Do you or your friends have or had a 250 Elite? And if so how did it handle on the freeway?

About the question #3, I notice that at SMC's campus parking lot, no one locks their motorcycles and scooters. They just park it in the area that is reserved for motorcycles and scooters. I also noticed that some people near my house park their motorcycles on the street with just a lock on their front wheel or was it front brakes. I know for sure that the Big Ruckus will be safe at my house and at a friend's house. I'm guessing its about 70%-80% safe at SMC. Even though it is easier to steal, I was thinking that its less appealing to steal than my Civic because it just a stock motorcycle with nothing valuable stored in it. More input is needed to clear up the theft question though. What are your thoughts on the places that you park?

About the helmet, I am now looking into buying a full face helmet for the long trips like from L.A. to Alhambra, Monterey Park, Rosemead, Chino Hills, and other places of relative distance or further. But what are your thoughts on the Harley guys not wearing a full face helmet? Some of their helmets look pretty good, like these:

Those helmets pictured are DOT approved. Do I need any other approvals like SNELL or something? For commute to a friend's house or place close to home (Burbank, Glendale, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Hollywood, North Hollywood, Silverlake, and stuff), a open face helmet seems to make the ride more enjoyable.

I'll google for reviews and tests for the Big Ruckus later tonight. But if anyone has a link or something please post it.

I'll most likely go to a Honda Motorcycle dealer in the middle of next week to ask more questions and get a free of the Big Ruckus.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep the replies comming.
-Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 02:33 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

There is no leeway for escape acceleration. Thats the problem running wide open on the freeway with a scooter. Its not uncommon to see asshats using the slow lane to pass at 85+mph. They might not see you.

If you ride during rush hour only you might be ok... hell if you pick gridlock hours you could probably do fine lane splitting on a spree.

The burgman 400, 600, kymco 500, or the silverwing have enough power to be safer on the freeway than the 250. I'm not sure these fit in to your budget thoz. If not, mebbe consider a used one.

I used to park my motorcycle at SMC, and I would always lock it. At least with a disc lock, if possible to a bike rack. Keep in mind people are more likely to steal a blingy brand new honda scooter than a 5 year old EX500. Just because those other bikes are not locked doesnt mean you will be ok. Also, if some thuggish punk kid comes by, and he has no knowlege of how to work a clutch or gear changer, which target is he going to pick?

Everything is a risk. Even walking out the door in the morning. Riding on the freeway with a slow vehicle puts you at greater risk of an accident that riding a more capable vehicle. Wearing a chopper helmet puts you a greater risk of injury than wearing a full helmet. You gotsta figure out how much risk you are comfortable with.

Snell approval is only required for racing or track days. DOT is all you need to be legal.

Some riding impressions (including a 250 elite):

http://www.jacksscootershop.co...va180
Old 08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're much better off buying a Kawasaki Ninja 250R at $2999
Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are right mos, I shouldn't drive the bike on the freeway. I'm planning using the bike locally and to SMC (most likely taking the streets, in my Civic it normally takes 20-30 mins going west on Pico, Beverly, or Santa Monica Blvd, 40mins when there was heavy construction on Pico and Beverly).

I'm still thinking of getting a beater car like a CRX or EF, but I only have one parking space at my house/apartment. Since my Civic is occupying the space I was thinking about parking the Big Ruckus is the same space (the parking space is pretty long, its like 1.5 times as log as my Civic) so I wouldn't have to park the beater car outside if I where to buy a beater car.

About the parking mos, did you park in the student lot near the Transfer Counseling Center? I see a lot of motorcycles and scooters there. Are there any other good parking spots?

I figured that its safe to park and lock the Big Ruckus almost anywhere since it won't be for a long duration of time or it will be parked at a friend's house. Some exceptions are school (classes are about 2-2.5 hours, chem and physics lab about 3 hours), movies (1.5-2.5 hours, some 3 hours), and the gym (2-3 hours). I know bad things can happen anywhere, but is there anything else I should worry about when parking and locking?

So do I need any other approval other than DOT for a street legal helmet? Cause when I used to ride bmx, I needed like three approval stickers on the inside of my helmet.

Thanks for the replies, keep them comming.

-Paul

Modified by papichat at 5:14 PM 8/10/2005
Old 08-10-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all you need is a DOT sticker on your helmet to be legal, but personally i would not wear a helmet that was not also SNELL approved.

and go full face. they are cooler looking, and give you much more protection. i am biased tho, i have witnessed first hand what happens when you hit **** with a half lid on. my father hit a speed limit sign coming home from the bar on his HD one night. three reconstructive surgeries only made him look less mangled.

edited to add: also that scooter is over 50cc right? you would have to get a full motorcycle endorsement to ride it if so, and i personally think motorcycles are much safer than scooters. better suspension, better brakes, and more power to get out of tricky situations. they also pull more tail!

IMO: find a used EX250 (Ninja 250). you can find them for less than $1500 used, and can be sold for the same amount, sometimes more if you fix them up.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokee)

WOW. I should really think about Full Face helmets.

So for a full face helmet I need DOT and what kind of SNELL M?
I remember reading about the different kinds of SNELL Ms somewhere. I'll get back to you guys later after I do some research about safety and and ratings.

Thanks for the input, keep them comming.

-Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

most quality helmets will be SNELL approved, you dont have to go out of your way to find them, really. just try some on, and look for the sticker.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokee)

In response to smokee:
Yeap its above 50cc. Its 249cc to be exact. Not like those little little kid scooter things or some toy scooter, but one that get you around town. Actually I don't know what to call it, but Honda calls it a scooter. Its about 5ft long and 2 1/2ft tall. I'll prob go to the dealer after work tomorrow and ask questions and take a few pics.

Thanks for the helmet info/experience smokee.

Does anybody own or have tested the Big Ruckus?

More input is needed before the final decision. Thanks for the the help.

-Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a pic I found of a guy on the 2005 Big Ruckus.

On the website it says that the guy is 5'9" @ 240lbs.
Here is the link to the site to read more about the 2005 Big Ruckus and see more pics if you haven't already been to the site.
http://www.battlescooter.com/1...*val*

It site also says that it gets "great gas mileage", but it wasn't specific. It can also drive around 70mph, not that I need it, but its nice to have.

I'll go the the Honda dealer after work for more information tomorrow. I will most likely make the purchase in the next week or two.

-Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 09:29 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Paul, I used to have only one parking spot also. I parked behind my car and just used a disc lock at my apartment. Nothing ever happened, but all it really takes is a couple of strong guys and a van, then its gone. Nowadays if I have to leave a bike outside at home, I use a heavy lifting chain from home depot and lock to a support beam or something.

The admin building parking lot is good. Always people walking by. I also used the parking lot in front. I just drove right in to the auto area and parked inside the big gate whenever I had a shop class. Nobody said anything. Avoid anywhere with no traffic and no lines of sight. SMC parking is part of the reason I started riding. I get sick just thinking back...

The best reason to buy a Big Rukus, is if you really really really want a Big Rukus. It seem like you do. If not, dont dismiss the other options right out of hand.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn it looks brutal. Also the best name of any product on earth.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i want to motard a cr85r or klx110? for a DD.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:57 AM
AIRBORNE

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're much better off buying a Kawasaki Ninja 250R at $2999</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I miss Andrea.

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (Odiedogcx)

Just get a motorcycle man, then you won't look like a flippin' nerd.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (Newkleus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newkleus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get a motorcycle man, then you won't look like a flippin' nerd.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Rob you should be ashamed of yourself! Anyone that has been to Europe should know that scooters are freakin' kool

But yeah, for the money I'd recommend a Ninja 250 or similar. Better bang for the buck. If you're hell bent on getting a scooter though more power to ya. Everyone has their own taste of 2 wheeled transport, gotta go with what's gonna make you happy.

Didn't answer any of your questions but I thought I'd take the opportunity to make fun of my buddy.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions (JMU R1)

Thanks for all the help everybody. I decided to buy the 2005 Big Ruckus within the next two weeks. I'll post updates as soon as I make the purchase.

I have one more question though. Can I haggle the dealer? I have never bought a new car, motorcycle, or scooter before. And if so how much of a discount would I get? I should also mention that I will be financing for either 48 or 60 months with $2000 or $2500 down (planning ahead so I will have spending cash after all the living expenses and insurance). I vaguely remember my mom haggle a Chevy dealer for a new 2003 Astro back in 2002, but we just got around $3000 off and free extended warranty and oil changes for a couple years.

And in response to Newleus: I noticed that scooters, especially the under 100cc scooters, have a very big fan base in Europe and North America. When searching for reviews and information I stumbled upon numerous clubs/organizations for Vespas, Ruckus, Metropolitan, Metropolian 2, and other scooters. Maybe you should rent a scooter and enjoy the thrills that come with it.

Soon you'll see me all over SoCal in my scooter picking up the cuties LOL
-Paul

Quick Reply: Honda 2005 Big Ruckus questions