Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Do I buy a motorbike to save my life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I buy a motorbike to save my life?

Hello.

I am from Thailand.

If you have been there you'd understand this situation very well, but I think anyone who lives in a crowded city will understand.

I have lived in Bangkok for all my life and I use the motorcycle taxi very frequently (at least 3 trips a day). They are quite expensive in comparison to buying one and I never have any gear on when I ride them for those few minutes. They got 125 cc scooters and I am not so sure if they are skilled or think they are built from steel.

My cousin once crashed, broke a leg. He seems fine though. He was wearing just a helmet. 150cc 2 stroker though.

I am starting to get a grasp of this stupidity.

I want to invest into full body armor and get a decent 250 cc bike, my dream has always been CBR250RR for that 20k orgasm noise that I hear on youtube.

dem 89s look sick.

Which in turn is a bit retarded as well because every single soul thinks motorbikes are dangerous on the internet and logically it is impossible to argue otherwise.

Is that a better idea rather than exposing myself to constant danger but in the hands of someone who has more experience than I have?

It is also very tempting to rack up experience as for once in atleast a very controlled environment I'd want to see what it's like to be terrified by speed and experience a low side. All that would be cool on a track but the city looks awfully chaotic and terrifying.

tl;dr: be ridden by an experienced or ride with gear?

You can help yourself to some youtube videos.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Do I buy a motorbike to save my life?

Not sure what you're asking, but if it's about gear I think it's a must. I learned to ride on a 250cc kawi 20+ years ago, I was a teenager and prolly a little reckless at the time, I'd ride in a t shirt. My last bike, doesnt matter that it's a modern k5 gixxer 1000 with everything done to it, If I was going any further than around the block to test something I'd be wearing jacket with back protector and gloves, boots. I've done that low side, then rag doll, in traffic, into a car. Not fun, it hurt. I'm sure wearing gear lessened the damage to my body.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wear a helmet when you hop on those scooter taxis. If Bangkok is like Vietnam in terms of motorcycles galore, then no, I wouldn't suggest trying to gain experience on the streets. Especially on a race bike like the 250RR.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been to Thailand and personally I do not recommend a 250RR unless you really really want it so bad. Being in traffic in Bangkok sucked ***, because it was nothing but stop and go for 1 sec and stop again traffic. A lot of people buy the 150CC Because it just saves more on gas and the cost to maintain it was a lot cheaper than the 250R. As far as body armor goes I think with the crazy *** drivers, you might want to double suit up.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ever bike you choose to get (CBR250rr is pretty cool imo) make sure you invest in GOOD gear because it really is the only thing that is gonna help when you get in an accident.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

70% of the population cannot even afford parts to repair their mopeds.
If you got a 250R which is a full blown motorcycle in Thailand. 99% of the mechanics do not even know how to repair it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually lots of Ducatis and stuff where I live. Lots of CBR250Rs.

But yeah, if I was to think practically CBR250RR won't be a good choice.

I nearly went head strong for a decent Kawasaki Ninja 250R but my family told me I can't ride on the highways and I can't ride at night.

Bought a cheap used car instead. I'll hop on to a Honda Wave sometime in the future, when I get well off and out of here then I'll think about sport bikes.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a good idea. When you do get a bike just take your time learning how to ride.

Good luck