Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Connecting rod help. (AKA, WTF honda, your parts number system sucks)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting rod help. (AKA, WTF honda, your parts number system sucks)

I spun a bearing on my Cbr, and I am rebuilding the engine, I got a new crankshaft and im going to buy only one new connecting rod, even though it was measured and said to be straight I would rather spend $150 more than blow another engine.

Here the deal, I have to buy all the parts in the USA since its so much cheaper, but shipping takes nearly a month. So I want to buy everything at the same time. Im sure most of you are aware, but still short explanation.

The crankshaft has a numbering system that has to be crossreferences with the "number code" on the connecting-rod in order to select the apropiate bearing, more so, they come also by weight code, and an engine must have all rods of the same weight range according to the honda service manual.

It seems by the honda numbering system that they only have one part # for connecting rods, so how will I know what I am buying? Posting this here just in case anyone has gone through this, is there anyway to know what im going to get, so I dont have to do two separate orders.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Connecting rod help. (AKA, WTF honda, your parts number system sucks)

It has been my experience that there is only one part number for the connecting rod and each rod and cap is marked with a number code which is then used with the crank to select the right bearing color (thickness).

Since you're going to have the engine apart to replace the crank and rod, I'd take the time to weigh all the rod/cap/bolt/nut groups and "adjust" the sets down to the weight of the lightest one.

Order new rod nuts and bolts too if you haven't done so.

PS: Honda and Yamaha have similar part numbering systems which make some sense. Wait until you deal with Kawasaki - OMG!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Connecting rod help. (AKA, WTF honda, your parts number system sucks)

So, if I get a conecting rod, I just have to wait and see what numbering its gonna have?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen, yes. Even then, you're going to need to verify the bearing clearances with a plastigage. When I rebuilt my Yamaha, I had to swap a couple of bearings to get the right clearances after ordering the bearings by the crank/block/rod codes.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will have to do then, thanks for the help man.